Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
I still feel like Florida would be the primary choice for Raanta, if he changes teams. They've got Barkov and Borgström (a rookie, sure, but still...) and as a team they would benefit from Raanta.

Why would Florida sign him? Yes, he is good goalie, but Florida have Reimer and Luongo. Both have played well this season. Also Säteri played well, when those two were injured. I can't see, how someone expects Florida to be primary choice here. No guaranteed starter place. They have no real need.

Interesting to see, how this continues. At least it won't be less than 4M like some said.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If we want to get a Finnish friend for Raanta, what about Joel Armia? Ex-teammate of his in Finland too. Just not sure if he's available or where he'd fit in our lineup. Right-handed RW though.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Okay guy. Wouldn't the sourced information you demand harm his wife, in the manner you so sanctimoniously suggest? Why would you ask for such harmful information?
I would ask because someone less well sourced as you and less well meaning than you could set the thread on a spin by posting stuff such as wife swapping, dog beating and any number of things about a player's family with only their word as to the veracity of the post.

And you are right, that there could be sourcing which, if revealed, could be injurious to a player or his family. Perhaps there should be a system where a moderater would need to see the proof prior to speculation about family being posted.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
This thread has gone from....yeah we should we sign him 4x4.....Coyotes offer 4x4/4.5......to his wife doesn't like it here.....to he needs a Finnish friend on the roster.

Can't wait to see where it goes from here.

Reactions: Jakey53

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I still feel like Florida would be the primary choice for Raanta, if he changes teams. They've got Barkov and Borgström (a rookie, sure, but still...) and as a team they would benefit from Raanta.

Nah, they are far more similar than any other languages, but it's not mutually intelligible by any means. It's closer to Spanish vs. Portuguese.

Estonian and Finnish belong to the Finno-Ugric family of languages. Another language spoken by a significant amount of people in the language family is Hungarian. A distinct feature of the language family is the lack of prepositions (nouns are inflected into up to 13 cases depending on the language to indicate the equivalent of a preposition in English).

In contrast, the vast majority of languages spoken in Europe are part of the Indo-European language family. English is a west Germanic language, but because of the Norman conquest of England in 1066, it borrows vocabulary and grammar heavily from French and is much more distant from the two other main west Germanic languages (German and Dutch).

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Estonian and Finnish belong to the Finno-Ugric family of languages. Another language spoken by a significant amount of people in the language family is Hungarian. A distinct feature of the language family is the lack of prepositions (nouns are inflected into up to 13 cases depending on the language to indicate the equivalent of a preposition in English).

In contrast, the vast majority of languages spoken in Europe are part of the Indo-European language family. English is a west Germanic language, but because of the Norman conquest of England in 1066, it borrows vocabulary and grammar heavily from French and is much more distant from the two other main west Germanic languages (German and Dutch).

In short, Finns don't get English easily. Was somewhat unsure if there had been some comments on this from his new buddys when I heard the locker-room comment "Great English" when Raanta spoke after getting the game-belt (was some games ago, I know he should be allowed to give it to himself, and then just have his name engraved.) The few times I've actually met Finns, their awful English has always baffled me.

steierwrass

Nov 25, 2017
In short, Finns don't get English easily. Was somewhat unsure if there had been some comments on this from his new buddys when I heard the locker-room comment "Great English" when Raanta spoke after getting the game-belt (was some games ago, I know he should be allowed to give it to himself, and then just have his name engraved.) The few times I've actually met Finns, their awful English has always baffled me.

Most young Finns speak English quite well. Accent might be strong, because Finnish is so different. Most kids start studying it before they are 10. And when 90% of movies, series and games are in English, you can't avoid it. I'm always surprised, when I heard about Finns, who don't speak English. I know, that many don't like to speak it. Finns don't speak that much in general and even less with language which isn't 100% comfortable for them. You might meet Finn, who speaks very good English, but is silent, because he thinks his English isn't perfect and it's embarrassing, if doesn't know some word or can't pronounce something perfectly.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Why would Florida sign him? Yes, he is good goalie, but Florida have Reimer and Luongo. Both have played well this season. Also Säteri played well, when those two were injured. I can't see, how someone expects Florida to be primary choice here. No guaranteed starter place. They have no real need.

Interesting to see, how this continues. At least it won't be less than 4M like some said.

Florida just spent the past summer dumping as much salary as possible. I still don’t know exactly what the owner/GM plan is there going forward?

There are still of course a few other teams besides Florida that would be interested in Raanta.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Why would Florida sign him? Yes, he is good goalie, but Florida have Reimer and Luongo. Both have played well this season. Also Säteri...
Luongo will very likely retire either this summer or after 2018-19. He'll be almost 43 years old then. Yeah, I forgot about Säteri, but then again Nashville just signed an ELC with a 19 yo Finnish (of course...) goalie, despite similar circumstances with an old(ish) elite #1 and a strong #2 goalie.

And as discussed, FLA already has two Finnish players... Not sure if that really would be a factor for Raanta.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Name Nameless said:
The few times I've actually met Finns, their awful English has always baffled me.
Well, professional athletes (and those wanting to be) have a bit of a reputation here in regards to their *ahem* enthusiasm towards studying at school. But most athletes do fare well, since they understand that there is life after a professional career. It has been in fairly extensive discussion in the past 5 years, how athletes should continue studying despite training hard for their sport.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Just dropping this here...
upload_2018-4-4_13-7-37.png

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Florida definitely needs to start looking a new goalie option.

They are too inconsistent and Luongo has started to hit injury stage& he's 39y.
Goaltending and defense are their biggest weaknessess moving forward. Tallons the Gm so I doubt they'll do anything about it.

Hidden

Ghost
Dec 11, 2014
Random
Florida definitely needs to start looking a new goalie option.

They are too inconsistent and Luongo has started to hit injury stage& he's 39y.
Goaltending and defense are their biggest weaknessess moving forward. Tallons the Gm so I doubt they'll do anything about it.

I too see Florida as option, Luongo probably would be still the nr 1 guy in a way, but he has like year or two left in him, plus would split the games quite heavily if could. Reimer in other hand is highly inconsistent, one game plays really well, in next one he sucks. So he's not really starter material after Luongo quits.
Personally though I would expect Carolina to drive hard to get new goalie too. Ward isn't really getting any younger nor better and their Darling gamble crashed pretty royally too. Then vague memory of reading that Buffalo is looking new goalie too (could be wrong though, don't follow them at all).

So there is clear market for goalie like Raanta, some teams even with potential. Carolina probably would have made in to Playoffs, had they had Darling been even half decent and team has been getting better every year lately. Florida seems to be getting things together too, though bit too late for this season and also has some really good core pieces for the future. Buffalo, well, that's probably isn't first choice for anyone, outside of having most Nordic like weather of those three (some people like to have similar weathers than back home).

paragon

May 5, 2010
Raanta's career save% is now .922 in 140 games. It's the second best all time out of goalies who have started 100+ games. Gibson has played 38 more games and is the only one ahead of him with. 923. Grubauer has .924, but he has played only 100 games.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Raanta's career save% is now .922 in 140 games. It's the second best all time out of goalies who have started 100+ games. Gibson has played 38 more games and is the only one ahead of him with. 923. Grubauer has .924, but he has played only 100 games.
5 years in the NHL, 140 games, 28 games average per year, 29 years old. I hope we sign him but it's not a given that he can carry the load for a full year, let alone the next 4 years. Chayka needs to be smart about term/money/NMC.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Injuries aside with the year Raanta has had it might be a really unwise move for him to sign with the Coyotes before he has a chance to see what else might be out there, unless they offer a really high number. The Coyotes will still be an option for him after July 1.

I see one of two things happening. 1.he doesn’t sign before free agency ( most likely scenario). 2. He signs a contract most here will think is too high but will still be glad he’s back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad