Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I think he'll re-sign. It's one of very, very few spots in the league he's guaranteed a starter spot. He got married a few years ago, and just had a baby last year. The tax situation here is beneficial compared to other teams. Plus, he gets to spend winters in Arizona and summers in Finland. He's at the settle down and sign a long-term deal stage.

Reactions: Jakey53 and RABBIT

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I think he'll re-sign. It's one of very, very few spots in the league he's guaranteed a starter spot. He got married a few years ago, and just had a baby last year. The tax situation here is beneficial compared to other teams. Plus, he gets to spend winters in Arizona and summers in Finland. He's at the settle down and sign a long-term deal stage.

i hope this is the case that he's making as well

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
They should be negotiating now. If he doesn't sign by the deadline, they should trade him. I'd imagine a playoff team that needs help in goal would cough up a high pick if he stays healthy and keeps playing well. They can always try to sign him again in the off season.

BigDoaner

Jun 2, 2015
I’d love to read sign him- What do you think he thinks?

- Look at our record

- He got smacked hard enough in a car accident to take him out of a few games

- His house was infested with scorpions

The stronger we finish, the better odds that we re sign him

Maybe I’m just being paranoid!

Reactions: _Del_

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Hopefully it is just a fluid situation as likely Raanta would like to sign a deal here and Chayka would like to have him signed.

However with injuries and various fluke situations, they might need a little time to put a dollar figure.

Ultimately if Raanta does not want to even consider signing he will be traded in next 10 days no doubt. But there has been zero indication or even half a rumour of this.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Lets see how he plays the rest of the year. I am not convinced yet that he is a solid starter.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I'm guessing he will sign elsewhere in free agency; I'm guessing other teams will be more likely to get him to the finals and that he'd get a decent contract out of another team. I'd be fine with him staying, but I just don't think it will be in the cards.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
He has consistently been one of the best teammates around at every stop. They should find a way to sign him for as long as possible to a reasonable AAV. Worst case scenario he ends up being a slightly overpaid 1B type.

Reactions: RABBIT

varano

Jun 27, 2013
He has consistently been one of the best teammates around at every stop. They should find a way to sign him for as long as possible to a reasonable AAV. Worst case scenario he ends up being a slightly overpaid 1B type.
I agree with him being signed as long as possible. I disagree with the 1B comment. He's shown that he is quite good.

Reactions: Heldig

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Lets see how he plays the rest of the year. I am not convinced yet that he is a solid starter.

Can we afford to do that though? I don't want to lose him for nothing, and if he wants to test the waters I trade him at TTD and get a good return and take a shot at him in free agency.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Love how people are not convinced he's not a solid starter.. For starters, let's see his SV% on this horrible Yotes team.
.920? That's amazing to have a better sv% than .910 on a team like the Yotes.
Then you look up his back up statistics from CHI and NYR and realize that he just might be great on his own.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Del_

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Slightly overpaid 1B type? IF Raanta is signed and bombs he will be a grossly overpaid 1B type.

Mosby

Ready for Yeti
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If you look at the goalies who have played as many games as Raanta, only seven have a better save percentage. And none of those guys are on the 31st placed team.

Raanta is at .920. The $6-million man Mike Smith btw is at .921.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It's risky when the body of work is one year. He has not shown that he can be number one for 60 plus games yet. We saw last year with Talbot that doing it one year does not a starter make. I like him a lot but would be very leery of either term or dollars at this point?? I'm not really sure the Coyotes have much choice though as rolling the dice again also carries significant risk?? Hopefully both sides reach a reasonable deal.

Reactions: Jakey53

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You have to try to sign him. If he wants stupid money or doesn't want to be here, you have to trade him at the deadline. There's no reason to hold on to him for the home stretch just to lose him. Pick up assets and make a run at someone else in the off season via trade or free agency. I'm fine with placeholder goalies at the moment. We aren't going anywhere (in the standings anyway). Don't panic and fold like they did after Smith's one good year in his contract year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->