Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Hold on just a minute. If that information isn't sourced I wouldn't put any credence into it.

Isn't the whole thread "speculative"? No matter, look at GDT #51...I posted Raanta and Panik were reportedly out, before their accident was known.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Huh. If this is true and serious he should have been traded at the deadline.

This is so not good in many ways. And yeah, I know this would have influenced the last streak. Still, getting fans fired up now, and then losing Raanta, well, I think the ones we get in/ get back are likely to notice.

I hope this is either "fake news" or exaggerated. Cause if it is correct, it is a disaster. Like moving to Nunavut-disaster.
Someone posts "fake news" and everyone takes it as fact, again.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Isn't the whole thread "speculative"? No matter, look at GDT #51...I posted Raanta and Panik were reportedly out, before their accident was known.
Still, baseless speculation. Totally irresponsible. I consider posting any unsourced information about a player's family irresponsible. We need to remember that players, rich and famous as they might be, at the core have the same values about protecting their family as we do. Players accept that their position strips them of much of the right to privacy that the rest of us enjoy, but that doesn't, or shouldn't, apply to a wife or a child who does not take on a public role.

Reactions: Jakey53

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Going from Manhattan to this backwater scorpion pit would be pretty shocking, and not a little depressing. Ultimately, this is a pretty ideal spot for his career, however. Obviously that should come first, and I have no doubt it does. Other factors are superfluous.

Reactions: CC96

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Making a difficult yes-no decision and moving forward while you have options is the opposite of fear. Fear is waffling for months about whether he's a "proven" starter or whether he's worth coming to terms with and leaving yourself paralyzed while your negotiating position gets worse and worse until you're finally forced into a position to do something foolish or strike out is "fear".
Many of your posts are the definition of fear driving a decision. In my experience, that isn't the best way to negotiate or make decisions.

Reactions: Jakey53 and hbk

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Many of your posts are the definition of fear driving a decision. In my experience, that isn't the best way to negotiate or make decisions.
“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”
Frank Herbert, Dune

Reactions: mouser and cobra427

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
It's a 100% fact that we're in a better position for a deal. I'm just living in the real world where the most desirable UFA candidate in goal is going to get multiple offers and the possibility of someone doing something stupid that hurts us exists.
Your only defense to waiting is that you're afraid he hasn't proven himself as a starter.
When he signs for three years at 3.5M or four years at 3M like you have predicted, I'll be happy to give you applause for your genius.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Going from Manhattan to this backwater scorpion pit would be pretty shocking, and not a little depressing. Ultimately, this is a pretty ideal spot for his career, however. Obviously that should come first, and I have no doubt it does. Other factors are superfluous.
If outside factors were superfluous there would not be the annual players poll and subsequent discussion about cities players least want to be traded to (hint Winnipeg, Edmonton, Ottawa).

So many factors go into free agency - opportunity to advance career, opportunity to win a cup, $, term and "fit" affect the player. Then there are the personal factors - if the player is married what are her career opportunities? do they have kids? Is it a cultural fit (eg are there many Finns in Arizona)? Do they like the city itself? Will they be permanent residents or only in season? Is there stability with the franchise?

The constant turmoil in the desert must be a huge negative although they were able to sign Goligoski (though that was a couple seasons ago). Players seek NTC because they want security and not The climate is a big question mark. What if the family doesn't like the heat?

The Raantas are young enough that money should make up for a lot of other factors. :crossfing

Reactions: Lilhoody

rt

May 13, 2004
He’s been a starter for one year and has played really well but been injured a lot. He’s positive he can be successful on the ice here. It makes a lot of sense to take the keys and have the starter spot on lock for a team he already knows he’s can play well behind. The next time he gets ufa he’ll be an established starter with all the credentials. That’s where I hope his head is at. It’s a critical time in his career to roll the dice on an unknown and possibly see things deteriorate as far as his Julie career outlook goes.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That's not the basis of the decision. Lol the basis of the decision is he is a #1G and I'd have signed him when it was cheaper, not more expensive regardless of anyone doing anything stupid. If someone does do something stupid, it just makes him even more expensive and would reinforce the point.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Who is an attainable Finnish player with a Finnish wife and Finnish kids? Lol

Good thinking, if this really is an issue. With the numbers of Finns in this game, it must be someone out there to add anyways. Long-term injury shouldn't be a problem if that meant someone wanted to get rid of him. Just check he is not of the Swedish-language minority if you find him. At least his wife should be a Finnish-language person. ;) . Estonians could work, as those languages are -if I got this right- really close, but they are scarce, so not much there.

rt

May 13, 2004
There aren't even six million people in Finland. It's not like major American metropolitan cities have "Little Finland" districts. MAAAYBE in Minnesota or Michigan there is an at least semi-noteworth Finnish population. Even then, they're likely not in their late 20s or early 30s. They're children are probably in their late 20s or early 30s. More likely their grandchildren are Raanta's age. Do the Raanta's really want to hang out with the adult American children or grandchildren of Finnish immigrants? If so, the Minnesota Wild aren't really in the market for a 4+ million dollar goalie. Neither are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Detroit?

I'd think those are really the only "hotbeds" of Finnish culture in North America. Even then, it's probably equivalent to the vibrant and thriving Puerto Rican community here in Arizona. There's a handful of them, and some cool restaurants but basically just a tiny fraction of the Hispanic population of the state, which is probably >80% Mexican. I imagine even in Ontario, Minnesota, or Michigan the Swedes and Norwegians completely overshadow the Finnish population.

What about just plain NHL teams with "lots of Finns"? There are 27 Finns who have played at least 25 games in the NHL this season. Edmonton is the only team with 3 of them. Two are rookies and one is UFA. Winnipeg has 2. Carolina has 2. Minnesota has 2. Philadelphia has 2. Dallas has 2. Columbus has 2. That's it.

By comparison, Sweden has 73 NHL players with at least 25gp this season.

There aren't NHL cities with notable Finnish populations. There aren't NHL teams with notable Finnish populations. Those that have at least some Finnish representation really aren't looking for a new starting goalie.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Wait? Is Komarov a Russian or a Finn? Where was he raised?
If I remember correctly born in Estonia to Russian parents and raised in Finland. He played for Finland in Olympics and spends his summers there, his Wife is Finnish for sure.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
Still, baseless speculation. Totally irresponsible. I consider posting any unsourced information about a player's family irresponsible. We need to remember that players, rich and famous as they might be, at the core have the same values about protecting their family as we do. Players accept that their position strips them of much of the right to privacy that the rest of us enjoy, but that doesn't, or shouldn't, apply to a wife or a child who does not take on a public role.

Okay guy. Wouldn't the sourced information you demand harm his wife, in the manner you so sanctimoniously suggest? Why would you ask for such harmful information?

Last edited:

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
There aren't even six million people in Finland. It's not like major American metropolitan cities have "Little Finland" districts. MAAAYBE in Minnesota or Michigan there is an at least semi-noteworth Finnish population. Even then, they're likely not in their late 20s or early 30s. They're children are probably in their late 20s or early 30s. More likely their grandchildren are Raanta's age. Do the Raanta's really want to hang out with the adult American children or grandchildren of Finnish immigrants? If so, the Minnesota Wild aren't really in the market for a 4+ million dollar goalie. Neither are the Toronto Maple Leafs. Detroit?

I'd think those are really the only "hotbeds" of Finnish culture in North America. Even then, it's probably equivalent to the vibrant and thriving Puerto Rican community here in Arizona. There's a handful of them, and some cool restaurants but basically just a tiny fraction of the Hispanic population of the state, which is probably >80% Mexican. I imagine even in Ontario, Minnesota, or Michigan the Swedes and Norwegians completely overshadow the Finnish population.

What about just plain NHL teams with "lots of Finns"? There are 27 Finns who have played at least 25 games in the NHL this season. Edmonton is the only team with 3 of them. Two are rookies and one is UFA. Winnipeg has 2. Carolina has 2. Minnesota has 2. Philadelphia has 2. Dallas has 2. Columbus has 2. That's it.

By comparison, Sweden has 73 NHL players with at least 25gp this season.

There aren't NHL cities with notable Finnish populations. There aren't NHL teams with notable Finnish populations. Those that have at least some Finnish representation really aren't looking for a new starting goalie.
I still feel like Florida would be the primary choice for Raanta, if he changes teams. They've got Barkov and Borgström (a rookie, sure, but still...) and as a team they would benefit from Raanta.

Estonians could work, as those languages are -if I got this right- really close, but they are scarce, so not much there.
Nah, they are far more similar than any other languages, but it's not mutually intelligible by any means. It's closer to Spanish vs. Portuguese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad