Speculation: Will we sign Antti Raanta?

Will Raanta Re-Sign with the Coyotes?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We had poor goal tending a few years ago and picked up Bryz after the season started. Bryz became a UFA so we signed Smith. Greiss was signed, played well and left for a better deal. Duby came in and outplayed Smith, we traded Duby. Smith was traded we picked up Raanta. Raanta was injured but has played well the last 3 months. Kuemper had 4 shut out this year, he is unproven as a starter, but we picked him up too.

There is a pattern here, anyone see it? The only thing that worries me about Raanta is too much term, anything more then 4 years, or too much money, anything more then 4-4.5 mill, and any NMC. Chayka is smart and will not make a bad deal as history shows he can find a replacement.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
We had poor goal tending a few years ago and picked up Bryz after the season started. Bryz became a UFA so we signed Smith. Greiss was signed, played well and left for a better deal. Duby came in and outplayed Smith, we traded Duby. Smith was traded we picked up Raanta. Raanta was injured but has played well the last 3 months. Kuemper had 4 shut out this year, he is unproven as a starter, but we picked him up too.

There is a pattern here, anyone see it? The only thing that worries me about Raanta is too much term, anything more then 4 years, or too much money, anything more then 4-4.5 mill, and any NMC. Chayka is smart and will not make a bad deal as history shows he can find a replacement.

The other pattern we have to look at, though, is our team's performance during that time. Like I said earlier, Bryz and Smith thrived on Ulf's defense and Tippett's trap system. But after 2012, the "discoveries" in goal didn't seem to get us anywhere near our playoff goals. So while it's abundantly true that we can find a goalie if Raanta leaves, finding one who can be relied upon to win us games like Raanta has will be a much harder job.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yeah, Florida need to look new options, but there isn't real starter place open. And Raanta isn't looking anything else but starter place. Luongo will most likely continue season or two playing 40-50 games. He plays in good level. Reimer has played ok or even well this season and have been good partner for Luongo. Paying 5M for Raanta doesn't sound good for them. And fighting for starter spot with Luongo, doesn't sound good for Raanta. There are many teams that look more likely options for Raanta. Teams that need starter.

50 is too much for todays Luongo.

The good thing for Arizona is that both Carolina& Florida have been budget teams, Carolinas situation should improve though and they have expensive goalies under contracts already.

Islanders look like a team that is screaming for Raanta though.

Do you think there is zero chance we can find another competent goal tender? How does anyone know if Kuemper can't be a starter? I don't know what goal tenders are available, Chayka will know. In the last 10 years we have picked up Bryz/Smith/Greiss/Duby/Raanta/Kuemper, all at very little costs. We can find another one if Raanta doesn't sign with us. We shouldn't chase Raanta and give him too much term or money either. It's not like Raanta is a 1C or a 1D like OEL. Being in this position with OEL a year from now would be really stupid. You can't easily replace a 1C or 1D, its next to impossible. Goal tenders are way easier to find.

Again, I like Raanta and I hope we sign him, but we shouldn't over pay, let somebody else do it. We over paid with Smith, in retrospect, but at least he lead us to the WCF, carried us on his back, and lead the NHL in shutouts the next year. Smith was way more proven then Raanta, that is why we paid him.

That shouldn't be a +, that should be a massive minus.

Goaltenders aren't worth the most in trades but getting consistent(good) goaltending is a must if you want to have a good team& if you are thinking of building a longterm contender. You can't just swap garbage starters year after year and be building something.

If your team can't trust on your goalie to make a save you're lost.

Last edited:

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
The good thing for Arizona is that both Carolina& Florida have been budget teams, Carolinas situation should improve though and they have expensive goalies under contracts already.

Islanders look like a team that is screaming for Raanta though.

The Islanders are a team that scares me based off his connection with New York. Hopefully, they just focus on signing Tavares

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The Islanders are a team that scares me based off his connection with New York. Hopefully, they just focus on signing Tavares

Going after someone like Raanta could be a sell point. They have pretty good forwards, superstar level with Tavares and in potential Barzal. But they absolutely need to fix their D-zone play and it starts from net.

But if Tavares walks they likely go into rebuild mode, non playoff team can't survive a loss like that.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

cobra427

May 6, 2012
The other pattern we have to look at, though, is our team's performance during that time. Like I said earlier, Bryz and Smith thrived on Ulf's defense and Tippett's trap system. But after 2012, the "discoveries" in goal didn't seem to get us anywhere near our playoff goals. So while it's abundantly true that we can find a goalie if Raanta leaves, finding one who can be relied upon to win us games like Raanta has will be a much harder job.
We weren't a bad team because of bad goal tending after 2012, we had no talent and a poor D. Smith was our best player last year as one example. Raanta might be benefiting from our better D play the past few months too.

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
The one thing that the current team has proven without argument is that without reliable or better goaltending they are bad. Even historically bad. So far I’ve heard Grubbauer as an alternate. Any other names?

Go into next season with Kuemper as the starter and get ready for another lottery pick.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The one thing that the current team has proven without argument is that without reliable or better goaltending they are bad. Even historically bad. So far I’ve heard Grubbauer as an alternate. Any other names?

Go into next season with Kuemper as the starter and get ready for another lottery pick.

Draft Quinn this summer and win the Jack Hughes lottery next summer. The Hughes brothers will be the thing that finally fixes this mess, right? Right? right....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->