Will We Make The Playoffs?

Anticipate trades/personnel changes if you please.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
The team has visible flaws without the cap space to address them. We make playoffs but hard to be confident right now much past that.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Next offseason will be a time for tough philosophical changes.

Good thing we have a top 10 protected pick just in case.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Yes. I'm generally unimpressed by the team too, but our schedule is objectively garbage this month, both in terms of # of elite teams we play and # of back to backs. We'll bank a lot of soft points in later months.

Hopefully this is true, but the Leafs also don't seem to have a great February-April gear either. So bleeding October points isn't the answer.

This team is just constructed so soft and designed to win those ugly 5-4 track meets. After the Kessel era, this is very hard to enjoy.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
This team has to much talent and to much money tied up to miss the playoffs. Freddie tends to have bad starts to the season it seems like. Otherwise hes a great goalie imo.

Also dermott's and hyman's return should help by bumping players down, giving us better depth.

Now will we get out of the first round this year? If we are playing boston or tampa, which is entirely possible, I dont like our chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: AreBe

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
question is not that will the leafs make the playoffs; right question is will the Leafs move past the first round

as much as a absolutely dislike babcock's strategies; I dislike dubas as a GM more than babcock as a coach.

And for the mess I blame Shanahan

Reactions: The CyNick

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Dermott is not a key player. Tavares has only been out for two games.

Dermott, Hyman (and Tavares) returning will bump a defenceman and two forwards from the current lineup. Those two games without Tavares also represent 20% of the team's season thus far!

In all seriousness, teams eventually run into injuries. They're still in a playoff spot at this early juncture.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
question is not that will the leafs make the playoffs; right question is will the Leafs move past the first round

as much as a absolutely dislike babcock's strategies; I dislike dubas as a GM more than babcock as a coach.

And for the mess I blame Shanahan

that's a hat trick right there

dislike babcock
dislike dubas
blame shanahan

looks like someone wants this management regime completely gone

Reactions: AreBe

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Not time to overreact yet. However never mind the points. The team does not look great . Not how I would of expected them to look anyways. They definitely aren’t separating themselves by any means in the early goings

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
face it.

the team is off to a garbage start

something is wrong with them right now

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
The team kind of looks almost like a mirror image of last season when they got off to a great start with an unsustainable PDO and great PP conversion (kind of like the Oilers this year, who I expect to regress massively soon). I expect a very strong second half this season for the Leafs.....but on the other hand this team could also just fall apart.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
The only reason I can see for voting in this poll is so you can say “I told you so” in April which just seems kind of petty.

Dave92

Oct 9, 2019
Leafs have been a .500 club for a long time now and play like they expect to lose. They'll probably make the playoffs and accomplish nothing. But soon everybody will come around to what an absolute disaster Kyle Dubas has been for the organization. Not just the brutal contracts, but the culture. We've all seen what happens when this team has weak leadership and the inmates start running the asylum, this wimp had Nylander sit out half the season, overpaid him and then promised he wouldn't trade him lmao.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
We should make the playoffs pretty easily, unless injuries hit REALLY bad. But I think we lose in the first round yet again.

The team seems very similar to the teams that lost in the first round the past 3 years. Tonnes of skill, but very soft, get outworked constantly, hemmed into our own end too often, and suffer regular defensive breakdowns. We’re the polar opposite of “built for the playoffs.” I really hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

The easiest thing to change is the coach, and sometimes that can have a major impact. Worth starting the search quietly, and pouncing on a new coach by ~mid season. If the team makes it past the 1st round, great! If not, fire Dubas at the start of the offseason, and bring in a GM who will actually try to improve our toughness, hustle and defensive play.

Reactions: Lenovs and hudster

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
We should make the playoffs pretty easily, unless injuries hit REALLY bad. But I think we lose in the first round yet again.

The team seems very similar to the teams that lost in the first round the past 3 years. Tonnes of skill, but very soft, get outworked constantly, hemmed into our own end too often, and suffer regular defensive breakdowns. We’re the polar opposite of “built for the playoffs.” I really hope I’m wrong, but I doubt it.

The easiest thing to change is the coach, and sometimes that can have a major impact. Worth starting the search quietly, and pouncing on a new coach by ~mid season. If the team makes it past the 1st round, great! If not, fire Dubas at the start of the offseason, and bring in a GM who will actually try to improve our toughness, hustle and defensive play.

He brought in Muzzin, Barrie, Ceci, Gravel to help defensive play.

He brought in Mikheyev, Timashov, Moore, Shore, and our bottom-6 has been fantastic.

The issue is we've been unlucky thus far. Poor on-ice sh% and poor sv% from our goaltenders. Stats indicate Tavares/Marner/Matthews are underproducing at 5v5 and are due for a climb sometime soon (I.e they're cold right now at 5v5). Yet we've still done this good so far. Just imagine how we're good going to be when our oish% and PDO returns to normal!

We're more than fine. Just you wait lol.

Reactions: Lauro

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
He brought in Muzzin, Barrie, Ceci, Gravel to help defensive play.

He brought in Mikheyev, Timashov, Moore, Shore, and our bottom-6 has been fantastic.

The issue is we've been unlucky thus far. Poor on-ice sh% and poor sv% from our goaltenders. Stats indicate Tavares/Marner/Matthews are underproducing at 5v5 and are due for a climb sometime soon (I.e they're cold right now at 5v5). Yet we've still done this good so far. Just imagine how we're good going to be when our oish% and PDO returns to normal!

We're more than fine. Just you wait lol.
I’m not concerned about the regular season, we’ll pick it up and do well. I’m definitely concerned about the playoffs, though. Playoff hockey is more physical, more intense, the refs let a tonne go and skill means less unless it’s paired with grit, hustle and toughness.

We’re very likely to play one of Boston or Tampa in the first round (don’t see Buffalo or Montreal maintaining their hot stars). Will we beat either Boston or Tampa in a 7 game series? I suspect not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad