News Article: Will there be a 2020/21 NHL season?

Will NHL start up again for 2020/21 regular season?

• Total voters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
No idea if these numbers are correct but assuming they are: even if the players take a 50% haircut, half of 32 teams x an $81M salary cap is still $2.6B. And that's just salary. These teams owe rent, salary to management, coaches, training staff, etc., etc.

I'd thank my lucky stars if I was a player knowing I'd still get half.

you can find the 75% in several places. Including here. NHL players are paid like other major pro athletes — and ticket sales cover those wages

r
evenue is verified from several sources but including here
NHL revenue by year | Statista

Canadian Finn

Oskee Wee Wee
Feb 21, 2014
The Hammer
question for the 40 people who voted "yes".

Did you read the question?

If you did, how can it be expected the league is going to start in the next 42 days?

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

If you did, how can it be expected the league is going to start in the next 42 days?

I think maybe you are reading too much into it. Even if it's still the 2021 season only, the question is still relevant as asked.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

It would still be considered the 2020-2021 season even though it may only be played in 2021.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Reactions: Fogelhund

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Yes because again cancellation of the season means you kill ALL negotiating leverage you have when trying to secure a new American TV deal, anybody with even the most basic understanding of business knows you don't choose to kill ALL negotiating leverage.

Not to mention Sportsnet is bleeding money and they would void their contract without hesitation if given the opportunity.

The NHL will have a season because they HAVE to, they have NO choice

Reactions: The Hanging Jowl

Mar 26, 2010
At this rate, who knows. The world is in a tough spot right now.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I'd expect it will. If the other leagues managed to get things functional then I don't expect hockey will be the one to fall apart. And so long as the salary is deferred and not straight up lost, I think things can work out somehow. Getting some of their money is better than basically getting none of it and not having any games.

The state of things is pretty tough there's no question there. But, I think we'll see hockey in a couple months.

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Well after yesterday, I'm not so sure anymore.

Can't believe this greedy league. Every other freaking major sport can somehow agree and play, yet here we are again, owners trying to f*** up an already signed contract and the players are crying over their millions during pandemic.

Both sides are pathetic and I'm really disappointed.
The world is a tougher place than it was a year ago, for everybody. Accept it, consider yourself f***ing lucky and play.

yzerman

Apr 23, 2017
Sweden
Absolutly Yes ,the season will start in Januari at the latest beginning of February to mid Juli book it!

Fonzieleaf

Jul 8, 2013
Collingwood, Ontario
They moved heaven and earth to have the playoffs start and declare a Stanley cup champion. I’m sure they’ll do the same with a regular season. Albeit probably shortened like the 2012-2013 season.

Reactions: yzerman

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Well after yesterday, I'm not so sure anymore.

Can't believe this greedy league. Every other freaking major sport can somehow agree and play, yet here we are again, owners trying to f*** up an already signed contract and the players are crying over their millions during pandemic.

Both sides are pathetic and I'm really disappointed.
The world is a tougher place than it was a year ago, for everybody. Accept it, consider yourself f***ing lucky and play.

It's easy to complain when it's not your money or livelihood. These are big boy decisions. Need time to work them all out.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Why, how will they get past limited indoor seating's, without?
Well, they might be very limited. Most people won’t need it and a lot won’t take it. And like the flu shot not everyone has to take it to get through the season

Reactions: Cobra777

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
The players agreed to reduce their salary to 70% and get back 10% later (20% escrow and 10% deferral), so in the end they get 80% of their salary (minimum, but realistically that's what it will be).

Everything I read at the time and as free agency started was the players fully expected to receive their 70% salary (+10% back) regardless of games played and HRR.

Shortened season and reduced or maybe even no fans - even an optimistic expectation would have been at least a 50% loss in revenue (HRR) for the league. The NHL is a revenue sharing league with the owners and players splitting HRR profits. Given the expected drop in HRR I don't really get why the owners were so eager to sign the return to play and CBA extension agreement, and now, unsurprisingly, they want the players to defer more?

Frankly even with the another 13% deferral it's still a good deal for the players - 57% of your salary now and 23% back later. But the league agreed to 70% so if you're the players why give anything more now?

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

This would be great. Toronto Boston and Tampa in 3 different divisions perfect. And each group is pretty competitive with no clear cut winner. Canada group will be real close except for Sens. I like it. Take top 4 in each division. Then seed by points and reseed after each round.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00