News Article: Will there be a 2020/21 NHL season?

Will NHL start up again for 2020/21 regular season?

• Total voters

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
First a 20% escrow in 2020/21, then a 10% salary reduction and now an additional 13% salary reduction ask after players agreed to play out 2019/20 season. This is causing a lot of issues for players right now. How would you feel if your pay was almost cut in half? Likely best right now to just start up again in Sept 2021 with fans in stands.

NHL seeking additional pay deferral from players for 2020-21 season

The NHL is asking players to defer an additional 13 per cent of their 2020-21 pay as part of return-to-play negotiations for the upcoming season, Sportsnet can confirm.
The NHLPA already agreed to a 10 per cent salary deferral in the six-year collective bargaining agreement extension signed in July, ahead of the league's completion of its 2019-20 campaign in Edmonton and Toronto bubbles.
The news was first reported by Larry Brooks of the New York Post.
Per Brooks, it is unclear how the players' union will respond and if the request from the league represents an ultimatum or if it is an initial position in the bargaining between the two parties.
The players' original deferral is set to be repaid in three instalments (without interest) in October of 2022, 2023 and 2024. The CBA extension ruled out the prorating of salaries, as was done in the MLB's pandemic-shortened 2020 season, but says, "The parties also agree to continue discussions regarding the possibility of allowing players and clubs to negotiate additional deferrals on a case-by-case basis."
The NHL has previously said it is targeting a Jan. 1 start to the 2020-21 season, but details remain up in the air.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
You say it’s a reduction, like their not getting it, when article clearly says defer.
Even though defer just means a longer flat cap.

Half my salary better than zero.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
NHL revenues were $5 Billion in 2018-19... 75% of which is Gate related/same day merchandise/food/beverages etc...

So, the revenue without people watching, is $1.25 Billion... there will be some massive losses. I really don't know if there will be a season or not, it's kind of a 50/50 proposition at this point.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
You say it’s a reduction, like their not getting it, when article clearly says defer.
Even though defer just means a longer flat cap.

Half my salary better than zero.
Yes defer until HRR true ups are completed ... but once they are then that deferral is long gone ... much like last years last paycheck and escrow ... see ya ... nice it was there sorry it is gone

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I can't imagine either side would want to forgo an entire season unless it were absolutely necessary. The NHL has more Canadian teams in it than any of the other, North American sports leagues. Something should be able to be hammered out if they can figure out that (the all Canadian division?) and the scheduling/number of games. For a few reasons, the end result will likely be a comparatively brief and compressed schedule. That still seems preferable to nothing at all. I'm optimistic that the NHL can find a way as many of the other leagues have. If not, it is what it is.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Yes defer until HRR true ups are completed ... but once they are then that deferral is long gone ... much like last years last paycheck and escrow ... see ya ... nice it was there sorry it is gone

Most of this defer v.s. cut v.s. escrow doesn't matter all that much when we're talking about who is getting paid what. At the end of the day, the players will make 50% of HRR, regardless. If there is no season this year, then the players make less, even if they're taking some kind of "deferral" or "cut" or "escrow" or whatever. These structures are only defining the manner in which the players will get back to 50% earnings after they exceeded it last season, that's all it is.

Everyone has already lost the money, everyone will pay it back. This is just a discussion of how it will be paid back, which is a much smaller conversation around whether or not any money will be made at all this season.

Because of that, I voted that there will be a season. Regardless of the minute details around negotiations around how quickly players will get back to 50% HRR.

Last edited:
Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Most of this defer v.s. cut v.s. escrow doesn't matter all that much when we're talking about who is getting paid what. At the end of the day, the players will make 50% of HRR, regardless. If there is no season this year, then the players make less, even if they're taking some kind of "deferral" or "cut" or "escrow" or whatever. These structures are only defining the manner in which the players will get back to 50% earnings after they exceeded it last season, that's all it is.

Everyone has already lost the money, everyone will pay it back. This is just a discussion of how it will be paid back, which is a much smaller conversation around whether or not any money will be made at all this season.

Because of that, I voted that there will be a season. Regardless of the minute details around negotiations around how quickly players will get back to 50% HRR.
Well stated. I hope you are right. But from what I am hearing it is not good on players side. Many feel blindsided that this was not agreed before they decided to come back. Now this is kid talk over internet when playing games online but it includes Leafs top 4. There is a major lack of trust going on. But you are right it will go 50/50 on HRR and if next season produces 1.5B of NHL revenues from media and sponsorship monies then it will split 50/50 no matter what da escrows/holdbacks/deferral/etc are. I think players think they are gonna be getting more then they really will as it will end up getting around 25% of their actual salaries. But these kids have not fully thought it thru.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Reword in English, no idea what your saying.
Is it you disagree it will takes years for da players to pay back escrow, thus a flat cap,
No sorry too wordy ... if NHL revenues are 1.5B next year (25% of last year) as largely only media revenues then players will ultimately get around 25% of their paychecks for next season ... you can't get back tickets, merch, food, game and arena sponsorship $$$ because they are not occurring

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No sorry too wordy ... if NHL revenues are 1.5B next year (25% of last year) as largely only media revenues then players will ultimately get around 25% of their paychecks for next season ... you can't get back tickets, merch, food, game and arena sponsorship $$$ because they are not occurring

OK agree with that, going to take years for players to catch up.
Not sure if it would of been better, if the players just took 50% this year, instead of amortizing over multiple years, and resulting in a flat cap.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
With the prospects of two effective vaccines on the horizon, I think the NHL and other major sports leagues will lobby for, buy a ticket and show negative test or that you have been vaccinated. So at the start there will be less fans allowed but by March'ish probably more allowed. They will start I just don't think it's going to be January 1st, I'm going with what Poulin was saying and probably 3rd week of Jan.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Senators owner said, when fans allowed, there hope would be, and yes either negative test or vaccine proof.

they have modified luxury boxes for covid, families in same household can sit together, then they would have 2 or 3 seats empty from the next group. The row in front of you and behind, would be totally empty around the stadium.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
With the prospects of two effective vaccines on the horizon, I think the NHL and other major sports leagues will lobby for, buy a ticket and show negative test or that you have been vaccinated. So at the start there will be less fans allowed but by March'ish probably more allowed. They will start I just don't think it's going to be January 1st, I'm going with what Poulin was saying and probably 3rd week of Jan.
If you get vaccinated, and somehow survive, they will be able to scan you........sorta sarcastic.

Reactions: Cobra777

Coachcorner

Senor Martinez
Sep 28, 2017
I actually think it will be announced today.
Yes sire, they are getting real close. 60 games, home teams in everywhere playing, stanley cup fought before the tokio olympics. This is going to be something else sire :clap: So yes, of course there's going to be an nhl season for certainly.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
With a salary reduction will the cap hits be reduced as well? That would really help us.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
NHL revenues were $5 Billion in 2018-19... 75% of which is Gate related/same day merchandise/food/beverages etc...

So, the revenue without people watching, is $1.25 Billion... there will be some massive losses. I really don't know if there will be a season or not, it's kind of a 50/50 proposition at this point.

No idea if these numbers are correct but assuming they are: even if the players take a 50% haircut, half of 32 teams x an $81M salary cap is still $2.6B. And that's just salary. These teams owe rent, salary to management, coaches, training staff, etc., etc.

I'd thank my lucky stars if I was a player knowing I'd still get half.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Another thing: why haven't the major sports leagues asked for a bailout? It looks like the airlines are about to get a giant payday. Other industries have been taken care of. The NHL has probably added more to my life and our economy than half of our total national economy. I am completely against bailouts and corporate welfare but if other industries are getting help, I wonder why they aren't asking?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad