News Article: Will there be a 2020/21 NHL season?

Will NHL start up again for 2020/21 regular season?

• Total voters

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
If the North American financial situstion becomes so dire that US billionair owners have trouble operating i can't see how Canadian counterparts in small markets like Saskatoon or Quebec City would be immune from that.

If anything I could see the number of Canadian teams shrinking given Ottawa's shakey ownership.

You may be right but in the end these forever contracts are in danger. There will need to be some kind of restructuring of payments. The players did well in the good times but show me a billionaire who likes losing money.

A Cdn league would be at a lower salary for it to work. But if a US team folds, then what?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
To be fair,
NFL, MLB, NBA all had bad numbers, and the Masters the worst in history. So I’m not expecting much increase, unless it’s a bridge deal until numbers improve again.
With a 3-4 year flat cap, times are not great.
Also this year, sponsorship paybacks, naming rights etc, everyone will want pro-rated at minimum.
2020/21 arena sponsorships have been invoiced but no collections made yet as per MLSE. If there are no fans in stands then MLSE will not collect. If fans are allowed then % of games fans are allowed (no matter numbers) will be re-invoiced. We have not cut our check yet. I doubt anyone else has either. So MLSE is going into 2020/21 with no arena sponsorships except TV board advertising. And I doubt any of those companies have paid anything either. So reality is MLSE has a hold on fans credit cards for those who chose not to park for 1 year. If half of season ticket holders parked then MLSE is holding those tickets too. It was interesting that the parking was stopped pretty darn quick. My guess is they realized there were way too many who parked and there would not be enough $$$ to pay people. But I am sure MLSE is just using its credit line to get by in meantime.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm not so sure there will be a 20-21 season as it seems about 50/50 at the moment.

I could see the NHL cancel this upcoming year that might start in Jan (best case scenario) or simply call it a day and try to get ready for Sept/Oct to start the following year back on a normal schedule.

We won't have a full year anyways and it would again be playoffs in July and August and with the Virus we never really know if its even possible.

So much is still up in the air and unsettled that is seem hard to believe a new year starting this late.

Doesn't mean I won't miss it regardless.

"Footsteps" - Hockey Night in Canada's 60th Season Feature - YouTube

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not so sure there will be a 20-21 season as it seems about 50/50 at the moment.

I could see the NHL cancel this upcoming year that might start in Jan (best case scenario) or simply call it a day and try to get ready for Sept/Oct to start the following year back on a normal schedule.

We won't have a full year anyways and it would again be playoffs in July and August and with the Virus we never really know if its even possible.

So much is still up in the air and unsettled that is seem hard to believe a new year starting this late.

Doesn't mean I won't miss it regardless.

"Footsteps" - Hockey Night in Canada's 60th Season Feature - YouTube
It will all depend on da owners. If they lock out da players then no season 2020/21. If owners want to renegotiate the entire CBA then it will take a few months and by that time Oct 2021 will be upon us. TBH I don't think anyone really wants it bad. But Bettman will say heh look here gents but if we want my great cable/TV national deal for 2021/22 season then we better play 2020/21 as not playing risks a big payday for you guys. We will see how that plays out. Da players stance is look here folks we have a signed and agreed CBA which we are preparing to fulfill.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It will all depend on da owners. If they lock out da players then no season 2020/21. If owners want to renegotiate the entire CBA then it will take a few months and by that time Oct 2021 will be upon us. TBH I don't think anyone really wants it bad. But Bettman will say heh look here gents but if we want my great cable/TV national deal for 2021/22 season then we better play 2020/21 as not playing risks a big payday for you guys. We will see how that plays out. Da players stance is look here folks we have a signed and agreed CBA which we are preparing to fulfill.

Da problem with dat is dat dere will not be da great deal, as da viewership is way down, so da deal won’t be da good one. Maybe day go for da bridge deal, dat way dey get da better deal in da near future. Da players Dey should go 50/50 dis year, dat way, da cap can increase sooner, den everyone can be da happier.

Last edited:

Oscar Peterson

Jun 27, 2015
Da problem with dat is dat da there will not be da great deal, as da viewership is way down, so da deal won’t be da good one. Maybe day go for da bridge deal, dat way dey get da better deal in da near future. Da players Dey should go 50/50 dis year, dat way, da cap can increase sooner, den everyone can be da happier.
Think you meant "dere" :sarcasm:

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad