News Article: Will there be a 2020/21 NHL season?

Will NHL start up again for 2020/21 regular season?

• Total voters

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
This would be great. Toronto Boston and Tampa in 3 different divisions perfect. And each group is pretty competitive with no clear cut winner. Canada group will be real close except for Sens. I like it. Take top 4 in each division. Then seed by points and reseed after each round.

I think it should be a little different, so that we can social distance, the Americans and Canadians for as long as possible, and provide as many home games as possible, for as long as possible.

The Canadian Champs, and the American Champs play in the Finals. The Canadian division, everyone makes the playoffs. Round 1, top seed gets a bye, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5... as you say, reseed.. and so on.

The Americans can figure out on their own, how to seed, and declare an American champ, to play the Canadian Champ... I think it's a good idea, or maybe I'm just a Canadian homer, who wants to see a Canadian team in the finals.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I think it should be a little different, so that we can social distance, the Americans and Canadians for as long as possible, and provide as many home games as possible, for as long as possible.

The Canadian Champs, and the American Champs play in the Finals. The Canadian division, everyone makes the playoffs. Round 1, top seed gets a bye, 2-7, 3-6, 4-5... as you say, reseed.. and so on.

The Americans can figure out on their own, how to seed, and declare an American champ, to play the Canadian Champ... I think it's a good idea, or maybe I'm just a Canadian homer, who wants to see a Canadian team in the finals.
Yeah it would be great to finally have a year where Bettman sees a CANADIAN Cup champ ... but I don't trust da guy as far as I could see him ... a NYC legal beagle fighting for Jacobs and his gang of thieves

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

As nice as that would be, it’s pie in the sky unfortunately.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
I live in Maryland and I was at the grocery store today and a guy came up to me asking if I was Leafs fan (because I was wearing my Leafs face mask). We started chatting and it turns out that he's the Caps equipment manager. That in itself was pretty cool. He obviously has some inside info and believes there will be a 48-50 game season starting in January. What's even more cool is that he asked if I wanted to take a couple of pictures with his FRIGGIN Stanley Cup Ring!!

Here you go boys (and girls) - it's what we all want to see on our teams fingers:

stanley cup ring 1a.jpg
stanley cup ring 2a.jpg

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I live in Maryland and I was at the grocery store today and a guy came up to me asking if I was Leafs fan (because I was wearing my Leafs face mask). We started chatting and it turns out that he's the Caps equipment manager. That in itself was pretty cool. He obviously has some inside info and believes there will be a 48-50 game season starting in January. What's even more cool is that he asked if I wanted to take a couple of pictures with his FRIGGIN Stanley Cup Ring!!

Here you go boys (and girls) - it's what we all want to see on our teams fingers:

View attachment 376892 View attachment 376893
D*mn nice ... I chased da dream for 20 years and never got to da show ... I could die for one of those rings

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
No idea if these numbers are correct but assuming they are: even if the players take a 50% haircut, half of 32 teams x an $81M salary cap is still $2.6B. And that's just salary. These teams owe rent, salary to management, coaches, training staff, etc., etc.

I'd thank my lucky stars if I was a player knowing I'd still get half.

But they won't thank their lucky stars...they will just bitch that they got ripped off. There was a CBS article about a texas food bank that had cars lined up for as far as the eye could see...and these guys are complaining that the owners didn't know how bad HRR was going to be 4 months ago.

Sports in general are going to take a really heavy hit in the future. People just don't have the extra $$ to waste on going to games, buying jerseys etc.. They should have a look at what the real world is going through before bitching about getting less money for the time being. They might end up ruefully looking back on the days when they got paid millions for playing a game.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I find comments like Dreger made saying "the players feel they have given enough" absolutely assinine. They haven't given anything. The revenues are simply not there. Sure, they have garaunteed contracts, but this is a pretty extraordinary scenario we're faced with right now. If the season goes forward at all the players should be unbelievably thankful as they are going to make pay checks (at whatever reduced rate) while the owners almost unanimously are just going to bleed money. There is nothing in the way of a monetary incentive at all right now for the owners of these teams to actually play the games. While it would definitely hurt the league tremendously in many ways to not have a season, they absolutely could just cancel the season and not pay most of these guys outside of the big signing bonus players. Talk about tone deaf.

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
If you vaccinate all the players and staff ahead of any season start there should be a limited risk situation outside a bubble.

i think vaccines as a first pass are supposed to be for healthcare workers, other essential workers and folks with high risk of serious health crisis due to covid

may be max domi qualifies under this

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
I like your style but the playoffs would be point seeded. You can't have one team go 20 w and 40 losses and make it. Top 5 maybe. 4 nhl divisions ,top 5 advance. Losers guaranteed top 10 pick . You can throw the lottery out, no owner wants to lose next year.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
How would you feel if your pay was almost cut in half?

If my salary would be 1 million and i should have for 1 year only 500 000, i can live with that.

If my salary is 50 000 for a year and it should be 25 000 with the possibility it will continue also next years (we speak about usual NHL fan), that will be a BIG ISSUE.

GLG12xx12

Go Leafs Go!!!!
Dec 5, 2010
Boone, IA
Senators owner said, when fans allowed, there hope would be, and yes either negative test or vaccine proof.

they have modified luxury boxes for covid, families in same household can sit together, then they would have 2 or 3 seats empty from the next group. The row in front of you and behind, would be totally empty around the stadium.

"Papers please"..... very Third Reich esque I'd say. I really hope our society doesn't get to that point or we have bigger things to worry about than hockey

Reactions: Auston 316

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
"Papers please"..... very Third Reich esque I'd say. I really hope our society doesn't get to that point or we have bigger things to worry about than hockey

I would think as the vaccine, get more distributed, that may be the fact for some business, whether we like it or not.
I think you need to read up on third Reich then, as it was way worse than that.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
There will be a Cdn league, no Big US tv deal and Bettman will be fired.
I think you may be right about Bettman. He made a bad bet 4-6 months ago with CBA negotiation. Now da rumour is he was berated by Jacobs and his gang and told to fix his screw up. Personally it is time for him to go so I don't care. But he will stay if he gets this US cable deal done or he will be fired if it is not up to expectations.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I think you may be right about Bettman. He made a bad bet 4-6 months ago with CBA negotiation. Now da rumour is he was berated by Jacobs and his gang and told to fix his screw up. Personally it is time for him to go so I don't care. But he will stay if he gets this US cable deal done or he will be fired if it is not up to expectations.

The question being, who would be Bettman's replacement?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

View attachment 376892 View attachment 376893

Love this.

Hi5

Reactions: Carltons Cup

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad