GDT: Will the real Calgary Flames please stand up: Game 4 - Flames @ Avalanche, 8PM, CBC

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
How about
Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett
Tkachuk-Backlund-Lindholm
This is what I would like because I think the top line needs some more jam and Lindholm isn't it but I am not sure Peters will do it when the Avs have last change...
I think the biggest issue for Gaudreau is that because its predictable what Monahan is going to try and where he is going to go when Gaudreau has the puck they are allowed to cheat and crowd Gaudreau to cut off the inevitable pass to the slot. Bennett has a better chance of creating havoc and space in the offensive zone.

DirtDiver

Aug 14, 2017
Canada
Avs fan here, hoping it's not in bad form to post here.

I have a bad feeling about tonight's game. My gut says the Flames take tonight's game and head back to Calgary with momentum.

We/I have no problem with other fans posting here as long as they are not trolling or flaming. You come into our house with respect you get treated with respect. Now if only we can find a solution to mack we will be happy campers. Here is to a strong game tonight boys.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Hump Day ploff game.

giphy.gif

For more kind of boring and possibly wrong analysis:

The Flames need to find their next gear.

Tampa received an unexpected gut punch in Game 1 of their series when they got scored on short-handed while having a 4 minute PP in the 3rd period. The game was tied, and then, the nail in the coffin was Columbus' goal a few minutes later, once the PP had expired. From that shorty on, Tampa was a shell of themselves. They played the remainder of the series the way Calgary played for a month and a half after the All-Star break. The reality is, everyone knows that Tampa is not nearly as bad a team as they showed (and this while giving full marks to Columbus for their performance).

So what am I getting at? The Flames still havn't shown their pre All-Star break form with any consistency. And beyond that period during the regular season, they have yet to show the necessary jam needed for postseason success. This comes straight from the top down. Johnny has to show more. Monahan can't be the Mony of the Anaheim series that disappeared. Gio has to be the Norris-winner plus. Lindy has to play like a first line winger. Our second line needs to play like they did most of the season. Brodie can't be a brain-fart, puck-turning-over cough-up machine. Everyone else needs to step up.

Show Columbus jam. Show your fans and the league what you're capable of.

Be the Flames.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Drop Shock

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Would be nice for the Flames to play to their potential once in this series.

Don't even worry about containing MacKinnon, just show up and do your own thing. Mac scores 2 goals? OK, well then Monahan/Gaudreau/Lindholm score 2 goals.

Top line has been useless this series.

Gaudreau also needs to stop with the 257 turn overs a game.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
It’s done if we keep playing our “playoff” game. We looked more outmatched in game 3 than we ever did against Anaheim when we played them (and game 3 had the second worst xGD of any nhl game over last decade... yikes). Literally the most passive defensive style while tiring ourselves by overhitting and never having the puck. No clue wtf the coaching staff were thinking, because yikes. Our entire philosophy of success thrown out the window for absolutely no reason, and we are getting smoked.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Would be nice for the Flames to play to their potential once in this series.

Don't even worry about containing MacKinnon, just show up and do your own thing. Mac scores 2 goals? OK, well then Monahan/Gaudreau/Lindholm score 2 goals.

Top line has been useless this series.

Gaudreau also needs to stop with the 257 turn overs a game.

Johnny legit needs to find a way to put on 5-10 lbs of muscle and keep it on through the long demanding season. He looked to have more strength and courage during the first half to 2/3 of the season, then he went to a player with no stength in his stick, which often shows up in weak passes and cough-ups. In pics of him after his 6 pt night he looked to be 140 lbs and sickly. Maybe his biggest need is a nutritionist and chef throughout the season. We all know what he's capable of, it just looks like he burns off his off-season gains and becomes really weak, which he's already handicapped by size.

Reactions: Master Bill

flames23

Mar 11, 2010
Burnaby
GFG. Leaving for the Island tomorrow for a long weekend mini vacation w my lady, would be nice if we weren't on the brink for the first game we'll take in there on Friday night.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
It's obvious by now that Johnny is not capable of playing the style he has success with when the games ramp up (final portion of regular season & playoffs). The onus is on Monahan and Lindholm to create more space for him and share the load of zone entries.

If Monahan isn't hurt then he seriously needs to get his shit together and play like he gives a damn. It's the playoffs, these guys shouldn't need any more motivation.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Flames are gonna get smoked this series. They have no answer for Mack. I hope I am wrong, but unless they are figure out how to contain him, we are finished.

Oh please, we have a coach who keeps saddling Bennett with crapkowski and neal.

We've got this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad