Will the Panthers let the Leafs make the playoffs?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
2 game set with the Penguins:

ES:

Leafs lead in CF% at 55.61%
Leafs lead in FF% at 57.97%
Leafs lead in SF% at 58.95%
Leafs lead in SCF% at 62.82%
Leafs lead in HDCF% at 66.67%
Leafs lead in xGF% at 62.16%
Leafs lead in GF% at 71.43%

All strengths:

Leafs lead in CF% at 55.76%
Leafs lead in FF% at 57.06%
Leafs lead in SF% at 57.89%
Leafs lead in SCF% at 60.20%
Leafs lead in HDCF% at 60.53%
Leafs lead in xGF% at 59.17%
Leafs lead in GF% at 54.55%

Who leads in winning hockey games?

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The NHL changed the rules last offseason where the refs could review penalties to make sure they were correct. So it's not a rule that was invented to the help the Leafs.

NHL announces rule changes for video review, coach's challenge

Besides all of that the replays clearly showed Jake Muzzin lifted the stick of a Penguins player and his own stick hit him in the face and it wasn't Muzzin's own stick which did that. So are you upset the Leafs used a rule which is available to all other 30 teams?
he is saying you can bet you ass that all 30 teams would not have got it over turned. He is saying the leafs get the benefits of way too many calls. So much so that im surprised anyone even bothers to debate it.
Because they never win anything , fans of other teams have never really cared that much. Its always been like "hey, its the leafs. Let them have it" :nod:

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
he is saying you can bet you ass that all 30 teams would not have got it over turned. He is saying the leafs get the benefits of way too many calls. So much so that im surprised anyone even bothers to debate it.
Because they never win anything , fans of other teams have never really cared that much. Its always been like "hey, its the leafs. Let them have it" :nod:

Yup. The Leafs lead the league in penalties drawn by a large amount.....wait a minute.....

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yup. The Leafs lead the league in penalties drawn by a large amount.....wait a minute.....
nobody said number of penalties.

More than one way to skin a cat.

But nobody gets uptight about it. Its the leafs man. Not like they are a threat or anything.

The leafs are like the baby brother in the house. "oh, just let him have it"

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Tomorrow is a big night in deciding who gets the spot, Toronto has Carolina on a back to back, with travel, Florida has Vegas 2 tough games let's see what these teams got

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
This thread title always triggers me...

It's a great way to write off giving Toronto any credit at all for making the playoffs. They are going to need to bust their asses to get in, as we've seen in the last two weeks.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Tomorrow is a big night in deciding who gets the spot, Toronto has Carolina on a back to back, with travel, Florida has Vegas 2 tough games let's see what these teams got
Vegas is hot right now. Caught the third period of them stopping Tbays 11 game winning streak.

The90

Feb 27, 2017
I cant Begervin and want him canned. Losses are all I hope for in Montreal. I would rather see them do what Shanny and the Loafs did in 016 and tank tank tank.

By the way. I hated the loafs before Carey Price was born. :laugh:

Betting this will be the loafs 16th straight year without winning a play off round.
(My nephew became a dentist in half that time) :biglaugh:
Lol. I have a good friend who’s a die hard Habs fan. I keep telling him you’re stuck in purgatory fighting for one of the last spots every year. What shanny did was the right move in my opinion. Moving small pieces around to get to the 7-8 seed can only last so long. It’s like the phaneuf / kessel years. with the leafs

Eventually you would think that the Habs will do the same. The leafs were lucky in the sense that they did draft well before ultimately winning the lottery. Their first rounders developed into good players (rielly, Kadri, marner, nylander), so by the time matthews came around they already had a good nucleus of young players. I know we like to give each fan base a hard time, but it’d be nice to see them peak at the same time for a rivalry. Montreal seems to be trending in that direction with all their young players.

I don’t think the leafs have peaked yet and they’ve obviously had a pretty brutal season, but the big pieces are there to somehow make a solid team out of it. It’s much harder to find those big pieces than to fit in role players around them. In my opinion of course.

Reactions: PaulD

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Lol. I have a good friend who’s a die hard Habs fan. I keep telling him you’re stuck in purgatory fighting for one of the last spots every year. What shanny did was the right move in my opinion. Moving small pieces around to get to the 7-8 seed can only last so long. It’s like the phaneuf / kessel years. with the leafs

Eventually you would think that the Habs will do the same. The leafs were lucky in the sense that they did draft well before ultimately winning the lottery. Their first rounders developed into good players (rielly, Kadri, marner, nylander), so by the time matthews came around they already had a good nucleus of young players. I know we like to give each fan base a hard time, but it’d be nice to see them peak at the same time for a rivalry. Montreal seems to be trending in that direction with all their young players.

I don’t think the leafs have peaked yet and they’ve obviously had a pretty brutal season, but the big pieces are there to somehow make a solid team out of it. It’s much harder to find those big pieces than to fit in role players around them. In my opinion of course.
Rielly a very nice piece too. Good drafting. Hunter was a huge asset for you guys.

Habs are trending nowhere until Bergevin is out the friggin door.

Both my brothers are Bruins fans and a some good buddies huge leafs fans. They all agree on this..... Marc Bergevin is a major Leafs and Bruins asset.

Its like you guys planted him in here......with orders to sabotage the operation. Well, mission accomplished. Times 10.

Last edited:

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
CBJ has stumbled as of late and the wildcard is more in play then it was two weeks ago. Adds a different element for all teams involved
Still have the Islanders and Carolina there since its pretty much a good possibility that Wash, Pitt, Phil take the 3 spots in metro.

Reactions: PaulD

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Rielly avery nice piece too. Good drafting. Hunter was a huge asset for you guys.

Both my brothers are Bruins fans and a some good buddies huge leafs fans. They all agree on this..... Marc Bergevin is a major Leafs and Bruins asset.

Its like you guys planted him in here......with orders to sabotage the operation. Well, mission accomplished. Times 10.

Hunter wasnt here for Rielly. His first draft was Marner.

Id actually argue his drafting record was poor. He hit the easy ones but blew a bunch of seconds and probably Liljegren

Reactions: PaulD and Merrrlin

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Yes, because like every year. Playing well enough to stay ahead of the Florida Panthers is such a tall order.

If the loafs mangae to stay ahead of the great Florida Panthers, maybe Shanny can have rings made up for the players. Like when Toronto won the Norris division years ago. :laugh:

What?

Considering how lazy and uninspired the Leafs have been, and how much turmoil there has been this year, I'd be pretty happy if they get in. It wasn't long ago I was sure they were collapsing and would miss.

Florida has Hubs, Barkov, Ekblad and a few other really good players. They are playing like ass but so are the Leafs. Should result in an eciting stretch run.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Rielly avery nice piece too. Good drafting. Hunter was a huge asset for you guys.

Again, showing your lack of knowledge...Rielly wasn't a Hunter pick. Hunter hit on the picks that were hard to miss on, and drafted very little talent in the later rounds.

Our drafting has improved a ton since Dubas took over.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Hunter wasnt here for Rielly. His first draft was Marner.

Id actually argue his drafting record was poor. He hit the easy ones but blew a bunch of seconds and probably Liljegren
So ive been told.

Guess leaf fans only raved about him while he was still on the leafs. Heard nothing but great things about him while he was there.

But I stand corrected.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad