Will the NHL ever see a female head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
I'm just trying to show you reality of competitive sports where organizations absolutely need the best hires possible. If you want a coach you'd need someone you are actually scared to disappoint out there on the ice you need someone who's going to chew you out for a terrible mistake out there or lollygagging around that you can take seriously.

This is why that Miracle on Ice Disney movie has done tremendous damage to the brand of hockey, and sports in general. So. Many. People. think that a "good coach" is a Herb Brooks type hardass who flips a shit over every other mistake. "Bag skate those lazy mfers!" dumb fans cry everywhere after a tough loss, as if even the "good" NHL teams still don't lose at least a third of their games. If it was an accurate portrayal, it was a technique meant for 20 year olds playing a 2 week burst of games. Not payed professionals over a 10 month marathon. Because we've crunched the numbers and survey says: 99% of people think getting yelled at over stupid shit at your job sucks.

Granted, there were some coaches who made that work. Like Scotty Bowman. Or Pat Riley. Although according to that one book, this was a calculated act, and the first time his emotional explosion wasn't an act was the time Magic knew Pat was done as the Lakers coach.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Lmao the responses were exactly as I expected.

“So you’re saying...”
“So what you actually mean...”

Stop baiting debate if all you’re going to do is push your opinion as the only right one. Fact is if a female coach is capable of beating out all the other capable male coaches for the job and be better at it then by all means go for it. No one should hire a female coach just to please the equality crowd. Equality is being equally qualified as the rest.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
It'll probably take some time. I certainly don't expect it anytime soon; there's a bit of an uphill battle w/r/t perceptions, as amply demonstrated by some of the reactions in this thread. But I don't doubt that someone out there will do us all proud someday.
100%, hockey is unfortunately an old boys club while basketball is very progressive so the timelines are different

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Granted, there were some coaches who made that work. Like Scotty Bowman. Or Pat Riley. Although according to that one book, this was a calculated act, and the first time his emotional explosion wasn't an act was the time Magic knew Pat was done as the Lakers coach.

Not to mention that even if we agree with the silly assertion that women can't scold people properly, nothing would be stopping a female head coach from getting an assistant who would do most of the yelling when necessary.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
No one should hire a female coach just to please the equality crowd. Equality is being equally qualified as the rest.

With all due respect, no one said this or anything close to that.
But apparently playing Major Junior or College Hockey is a necessity for Women to become a Head Coach in the NHL. Such a criteria doesn't appear to exist for Men.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Not to mention that even if we agree with the silly assertion that women can't scold people properly, nothing would be stopping a female head coach from getting an assistant who would do most of the yelling when necessary.
As I mentioned up above, some of the toughest people I know are women. Like my wife...5'2" and terrifying. :laugh:

Reactions: MXD and Tryamw

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
This is why that Miracle on Ice Disney movie has done tremendous damage to the brand of hockey, and sports in general. So. Many. People. think that a "good coach" is a Herb Brooks type hardass who flips a shit over every other mistake. "Bag skate those lazy mfers!" dumb fans cry everywhere after a tough loss, as if even the "good" NHL teams still don't lose at least a third of their games. If it was an accurate portrayal, it was a technique meant for 20 year olds playing a 2 week burst of games. Not payed professionals over a 10 month marathon. Because we've crunched the numbers and survey says: 99% of people think getting yelled at over stupid shit at your job sucks.

Most of people who have played competitive sports don't respect a coach that isn't pushing them to be better and that isn't in their ear when they are making mistakes otherwise they aren't a good coach period. I'd personally be mad at my own coach if he wasn't chewing my ass out after a mistake......I see this out of basically every great coach there is out there unless we are talking about some sport where there isn't a need to be aggressive but hockey is not one of them.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
There are vanishingly small male-only aspects of society and it would be a shame to lose what little is left
Do you think certain activities/organizations should only be open to certain people based on traits they were born with and cannot change instead of being based on merit? Do you not support equality of opportunity?

Reactions: SoupNazi

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
I think Head coach will be one of the last things we ever see a woman do in the NHL. GM, assistant coach, trainers etc will occur first.

I can’t picture a female coach screaming at their team after a pathetic loss garnering the same respect that someone like Torts was. Say what you will but I always like my Torts-esque hockey coaches-they kept it real and no one got a free pass. I’ve had coaches who tried the whole be positive 24/7 thing and it wasn’t nearly motivating enough, and I would expect this is only more amplified at the professional NHL level.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
\

Most of people who have played competitive sports don't respect a coach that isn't pushing them to be better and that isn't in their ear when they are making mistakes otherwise they aren't a good coach period. I'd personally be mad at my own coach if he wasn't chewing my ass out after a mistake......I see this out of basically every great coach there is out there unless we are talking about some sport where there isn't a need to be aggressive but hockey is not one of them.
Sounds like what you're saying is that you wouldn't take a woman coach seriously. That's fine, that's your prerogative, but that doesn't mean it's the majority case or even a common case.

For those folks who just can't help but think of women as not as capable as men in this stuff, try thinking of it this way: "You did so poorly even a woman can see how badly you f***ed up." ;)

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Sounds like what you're saying is that you wouldn't take a woman coach seriously. That's fine, that's your prerogative, but that doesn't mean it's the majority case or even a common case.

For those folks who just can't help but think of women as not as capable as men in this stuff, try thinking of it this way: "You did so poorly even a woman can see how badly you f***ed up." ;)
If I tried thinking it that way then I would be the discriminate one I just think its funny when people are trying to make an argument that the only defense seems to be that everyone who argues against the OP statement is a woman hater when they are just realists.

Reactions: greatwhitenorth

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
This seems like the ideal thread for BOH - surprised it did not come from there.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
sure, but the amount of female-only in society is astonishingly high
To clarify, do you mean that you want the NHL to be a male-only safe space to compensate for female-only spaces that exist in other aspects of society?

Panthaz89

Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
The point is that you already are. It's just a question of whether or not you can channel it productively.
Exactly one side doesn't respect the other's opinion meanwhile GMs around the league respect our opinion as well and they want to have the best coaches possible for their teams. Just label everyone who disagrees with your opinion. When a woman becomes one of the top 32 hockey head coaches in the world they will definitely have a chance but I don't see anyone in the stratosphere atm with that type of coaching credentials that's a woman in coaching at hockey atm.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad