Will the NHL ever see a female head coach?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Exactly what I came to say. We arent even seeing women assistants at the junior hockey level yet. I think ultimately we will, or it will at least be tried. But we are a long ways away from seeing a female behind an NHL bench.

Erhm, there was a woman who was associate coach in the Q about 20 years ago. (Danièle Sauvageau, who did coach the Women Canadian NT)

Reactions: bigdog16

OppositeLocK

Nov 18, 2017
Your line of reasoning is absurd considering the topic, but Norway's current air force commanding officer is a woman who is a major general. France had a general who became surgeon-general (she was a neurosurgeon) after being in the French resistance and later flying as a helicopter pilot in combat.

Something being uncommon due to past restrictions and cultural attitudes does not make it impossible.

Okay? None of that is special forces.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
Which is a law that's terribly outdated.

And what are the odds that we're ever going to have a war requiring a draft again? Not very good...but that's off-topic here.
much better odds within the next 50 years than a woman as a head coach unless its someone who changed their gender.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Also, we're seeing it in the NBA where women are beginning to become more active in coaching positions. Becky Hammon has been an assistant coach alongside Greg Popovich for years now. Jenny Boucek is an assistant for Dallas, Sonia Raman in Memphis, Teresa Witherspoon in New Orleans.

If it's possible there why can't it be possible here?
It'll probably take some time. I certainly don't expect it anytime soon; there's a bit of an uphill battle w/r/t perceptions, as amply demonstrated by some of the reactions in this thread. But I don't doubt that someone out there will do us all proud someday.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Ever? Probably. Anytime soon? I don't see it.

Female officials and associate coaches will come before that and I don't know how close the NHL is to that either.

No female Managers in MLB, Head Coaches in NFL/NBA and those leagues are purportedly "miles ahead" of the NHL in terms of social stuff and what not.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
much better odds within the next 50 years than a woman as a head coach unless its someone who changed their gender.
I have to break this to you: things change.

It was barely over 100 years ago that women got the right to vote. Female head coaches in men's professional sports WILL happen.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Wait, are you saying men are better than women at sports in our society?

Wow.

You should apply for a MacArthur grant for this scintillating contribution to science.
Well let's be honest. If you put a men's team against a women's team in any sport of course the men's team would destroy them. That's just a fact....

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Google Jose Mourinho and you will find out.
Another one is Maurizio Sarri. He worked in a bank and played essentially beer league soccer until he decided to get into coaching. Worked his way up from amateur divisions to the top division.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
According to his wikipedia page, Angelo Dundee never boxed professionally, he trained as a boxing coach/corner as a teen and immediately opened his own gym.

Reactions: Mordoch

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Well let's be honest. If you put a men's team against a women's team in any sport of course the men's team would destroy them. That's just a fact....

That's a fact, but that's also not the point...

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I have to break this to you: things change.

It was barely over 100 years ago that women got the right to vote. Female head coaches in men's professional sports WILL happen.
I'm just trying to show you reality of competitive sports where organizations absolutely need the best hires possible. If you want a coach you'd need someone you are actually scared to disappoint out there on the ice you need someone who's going to chew you out for a terrible mistake out there or lollygagging around that you can take seriously.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
That's a fact, but that's also not the point...
I was responding to someone who actually seemed to be surprised that men and women are not the same level of athletes so it was the point of my response

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
I'm just trying to show you reality of competitive sports where organizations absolutely need the best hires possible. If you want a coach you'd need someone you are actually scared to disappoint out there on the ice you need someone who's going to chew you out for a terrible mistake out there or lollygagging around that you can take seriously.
So you're saying that women can't be as tough on players as men? Why? What proof do you have? Women can chew people out too. You do know that, right?

I'll tell you that some of the toughest people I know are women. I know a few who'd make a guy like Torts look soft.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
And yet I know plenty of tough, strong guys out there who nonetheless listen to advice and feedback from their mothers and wives and sisters and female friends not because they're whimpy soyboys or something, but because they're confident enough in themselves to know when feedback is productive and necessary no matter who it comes from and not worry about being thought less of as a result. I mean, what kind of person are you if you ignore and dismiss literally half the people out there who would otherwise have your back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad