Speculation: Will the Canucks make the 19/20 playoffs? (20.03.08)

Will the Canucks make the 19/20 playoffs? (20.03.08)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Pistols at dawn

It is the gentlemanly thing to do
I thought duels were always conducted by each participant walking a certain number of paces away from each other, then turning and firing. Then the other night I watched Ridicule, a f***ing great French film portraying the king's court in Versaille, where a whole system of political patronage was based on how witty you were. If you really zinged someone a few times in a row, you got to hang out with important political figures, and often to meet the king. Anyway, there was a duel in the movie, and in it, the two guys just stood a certain distance from each other and took turns firing. Cold hearted shit.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
If Winnipeg wins Canucks may end the season out of the playoffs as the league could get suspended tomorrow.

If the season is suspended, and there are playoffs at a later date, I can't see the NHL starting back up with the current standings. There are several teams with 68/69 GP and others with as many as 71. Most likely they would play a 72 game season.

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
With what's going on in Italy/Iran and the complete lack of a competent government in the US (Canada not far behind) when it came to aggressive testing, banning flights from certain countries, screening, aggressive tracing, etc... I 100% expect the US to follow in the footsteps of the Italians/Iranians. Canada will soon follow. What this means is that I doubt there will even be a playoffs this season. It might get postponed, but the entire season might just get cancelled entirely. Even if they play games in front of no fans, the players, coaching staff, media and the like are putting themselves in danger so what this means is that it's more likely for the season/playoffs to be cancelled.

Edit - there should be a 3rd option of "It doesn't matter as the season/playoffs will get cancelled anyways".

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Probably time to shut this thread down.....doesn't look like ANYBODY is making this year's Stanley Cup playoffs. If nothing else, we won't be forgetting the Canucks 50th anniversary season anytime soon.,

The big question to me is what happens to the entry draft.......maybe they'll do what they did in 2005 coming out of the lock-out. Every team's number thrown into the hopper and then a universal draw. Always a danger that some team like Tampa or Boston will move all way up in the draft.

But I guess they could still devise some kine of weighted system based on the current standings. What a mess.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Probably time to shut this thread down.....doesn't look like ANYBODY is making this year's Stanley Cup playoffs. If nothing else, we won't be forgetting the Canucks 50th anniversary season anytime soon.,

The big question to me is what happens to the entry draft.......maybe they'll do what they did in 2005 coming out of the lock-out. Every team's number thrown into the hopper and then a universal draw. Always a danger that some team like Tampa or Boston will move all way up in the draft.

But I guess they could still devise some kine of weighted system based on the current standings. What a mess.

I think that is what has to happen. Give every team even odds and draw ping pong balls from 1st to 31st. Every team was equally deprived of the chance to win the Stanley Cup in 2020. (Sorry Detroit) Also, any draft picks in deals etc should be automatically tolled one year. ie our pick to NJ would be conditional in 2021 and unconditional in 2022 if we miss next year. When trades for these picks were made, teams were not aware that this was going to be the system in place.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think that is what has to happen. Give every team even odds and draw ping pong balls from 1st to 31st. Every team was equally deprived of the chance to win the Stanley Cup in 2020. (Sorry Detroit) Also, any draft picks in deals etc should be automatically tolled one year. ie our pick to NJ would be conditional in 2021 and unconditional in 2022 if we miss next year. When trades for these picks were made, teams were not aware that this was going to be the system in place.
This is a good point....forgot about about the fact that the Canucks first rounder, which was transferred from Tampa to Jersey at the trade deadline, is a 'conditional pick'. If the Canucks made the playoffs, the pick would revert to the Devils. But if they miss, the Canucks would keep their lottery pick and the Devils would automatically get the Canucks first rounder in 2021.

Now what, if there are no lottery teams? Would be a huge bonus if the Canucks kept their pick this year and next, and their first rounder was surrendered to the Devils in 2022. But I've become resigned to the fact that 'luck' and the 'Canucks' barely get mentioned in the same sentence when if comes to the draft lottery.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I completely disagree there...A team like the Red Wings most definitely should be guaranteed at least a top 3 pick..After a season like they had, denying their fanbase that, would be a complete travesty.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
But if the NHL does go with the universal draw to determine draft order like they did in the '05 lockout year, then the Canucks are in almost a 'no lose' position.

If their 'luck' in lottery draws stays constant, and they end up with a pick in the 23-30 range, then they just transfer it to the Devils. But if against all odds they move up into the top-10 or laughably move even higher, then they simply keep their pick and the Devils use their pick in 2021.

I keep saying it every spring....but aren't the Canucks seriously over-due for some major luck in the draft lottery?

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
I completely disagree there...A team like the Red Wings most definitely should be guaranteed at least a top 3 pick..After a season like they had, denying their fanbase that, would be a complete travesty.

Why should 'playoff' teams be punished for competing? The consolation prize for not being in the lottery is the chance to compete for the cup. That chance has been deprived for all.

Does Detroit deserve 1st overall? Well, they did just come off over 2 decades of playoff berths, dominance and cups. I won't be crying for them.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
If playoffs resume in July, what about cancelling the rest of the regular season and go with a 24 team bracket?

24-team-bracket-single-elimination.gif

Reactions: Ginger Papa

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's hard enough to watch August baseball with two teams a combined 38 and half games out of first. You want to add hockey playoffs into the mix?

The world isn't ready for the Cup to be hoisted in the midts of an August heat-wave. If they resume play early enough this season, the only option is to reduce the number of teams that get in, and still award the Cup before the end of June.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
It's hard enough to watch August baseball with two teams a combined 38 and half games out of first. You want to add hockey playoffs into the mix?

The world isn't ready for the Cup to be hoisted in the midts of an August heat-wave. If they resume play early enough this season, the only option is to reduce the number of teams that get in, and still award the Cup before the end of June.

Every major sports news site is repeating the July date which is, my guess, a leak given out by Gary off the record since its so widespread. "Our goal is to resume play as soon as it is appropriate and prudent, so that we will be able to complete the season and award the Stanley Cup." is his official response.

Who watches baseball - especially when hockey's on?

Last edited:

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
The thing is, you hope that first round pick develops into a player even remotely as talented as Miller has been. The odds of that are staggeringly low. Not only do most players drafted never amount to anything noteworthy, we now have to beat the odds just to even draft high to begin with.

Basing that trade on "now we won't suck enough" is the same logic as banking we'll suck at the right time and beat all those odds to get that perfect player. It's a what if no matter how you slice it.

So. We should trade Elias Pettersson for Sidney Crosby.

- EP probably wont ever be as good as Sid
- Makes our team better

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
If playoffs resume in July, what about cancelling the rest of the regular season and go with a 24 team bracket?

24-team-bracket-single-elimination.gif

The player's contracts expire July 1st. You could delay free agency until after the playoffs if the NHLPA agreed (which I doubt), however the players with expired contracts won't have any insurance. Players can't risk long term injury with no insurance to back them up. If the cup doesn't get awarded by the last week of June, it won't be awarded in 2020 IMO.

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
The player's contracts expire July 1st. You could delay free agency until after the playoffs if the NHLPA agreed (which I doubt), however the players with expired contracts won't have any insurance. Players can't risk long term injury with no insurance to back them up. If the cup doesn't get awarded by the last week of June, it won't be awarded in 2020 IMO.

Right, the NHLPA would be serious hesitant to do that, but so many news sites are throwing that July number around it has to be a leak from Gary's office (unless they're just a bunch of parrots). Still, the lure of the championship is a great bargaining chip and the bottom line is being felt by the owners. Each round is like one regular season for their pockets I've heard it said.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad