Speculation: Will the Canucks make the 19/20 playoffs? (20.03.08)

Will the Canucks make the 19/20 playoffs? (20.03.08)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
So hard to tell right now.

You know you're in trouble when the effort is there and you still lose games and that's what I saw from the Canucks on this most recent 4 game losing streak.

A roster that just isn't good enough without Markstrom.

I say no. They aren't going to make it.

Their streak of injury good luck will finally catch up to them, Green will need to lean more heavily on his trash age gappers, those trash age gappers will shit the bed royally, we get our 1st round draft pick back and Toffoli rides off into the sunset.

gWYobur.png

RhXMu4A.png

Remaining Schedules

hanAoUD.png
gFjY1wQ.png
MmobKX3.png
0PIBp4x.png
eYFJm4b.png
qd1rJQX.pngg
1SOLfqJ.png
JrIWF0t.png
XIsa5Ip.png

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
They aren't a good team but the playoff race is so pathetic that all those points they banked earlier in the year might be enough.

They probably need 92 to get in which means they need 16 points in 15 games, should be doable considering you can get points for losing games in this stupid league.

Last edited:

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Maximum # of points each team can reach:

St Louis - 118
Colorado - 118
Dallas - 110
Edmonton - 108
Vegas - 108
Vancouver - 106
Calgary - 105
Nashville - 104
Minnesota - 103
Winnipeg - 102
Arizona - 100
Chicago - 98
Anaheim - 92
San Jose - 91
Los Angeles - 88

Pacific is horrible this season. might not even have a 100pt team. that is while having the 3 worst teams in the conference.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
Thanks for the thread. Good info in the OP.

Looking at the schedules so much is going to come down to the head to heads.

Arizona plays Vancouver and Winnipeg twice as well as two vs Vegas.

Calgary has Winnipeg twice as well as two vs Vegas with one vs Edmonton and Vancouver.

Nashville and Minnesota are sneaky. It might take 3rd in the pacific to get in. You should add Minnesota’s schedule.

I’d like to vote after the Arizona game next Thursday. I think it would be an easier call then.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
I voted no, but not with a high degree of confidence. Their chances are balanced on the knife's edge at this point and I could see it going either way.

While their points pace is slightly better than the teams trying to track them down, it was also largely earned with Markstrom as the starter. It seems highly probable to me that their points pace will slow down with a Demko/Domingue combo, which will be enough to tip them over to the lottery side.

But really, it's a coin flip at this point. They've got zero margin for error anymore especially when you consider their opponents in their remaining games.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
It's a tough binary answer to put your name to.

One you have 5 days to change your mind on.

And on the 6th day, your answer is branded on your avatar 4ever.

I've already reserved a spot on my taco for it.

Have you?

Brock Boeser Laser Show

Sep 27, 2017
They have 7 road games left. probably Need to go .500 or better in those 7 games to make the playoffs. I’m not sure I have faith in a travis green team winning games on the road so it’s hard to have confidence right now.

ask me again March 23rd. If they are still in a playoff spot at that point I’d feel pretty confident.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
My gut says they barely make it in, it obviously depends on Demko at this point though.

I'm currently happy with either result. Playoffs are fun and I believe the whole "anything can happen" mindset to a certain extent. It would suck as Benning would be retained, but I could live with it. On the other hand, I'm happy if we blow it and have a shot at the lottery as it'll provide more longevity to remain competitive/cup contenders and Benning likely gets fired. It's kind of a win-win scenario, but I think the latter is better for the long-term success of the team.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Their chances now are still essentially the same as what I put them at the beginning of the year: roughly 50/50.

They are a true bubble team in a season where the Western Conference is pretty abysmal. And this is the result of Benning going all-in.

Next season will be rough.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
If they show some pride and actually play like the season is on the line then yes. Unfortunately I see no fire in their eyes.

Reactions: mathonwy

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
With every next game through this truly epic collapse I tell myself 'There's still time left in the season'...cept' I've now been saying it for a month straight and then team just continues to free fall. I voted no and even 2 weeks ago I wouldn't have believed it.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
One of Calgary or Vancouver is going to make it by a couple points maximum.
The coyotes are trash and probably done, van and cgy are basically both bad too but its a toss up who wins more in the last ~15 games.
Wild card is going to be 2 of the 4 central teams.

Weak as wet paper Pacific division is their only route to playoffs.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
If they show some pride and actually play like the season is on the line then yes. Unfortunately I see no fire in their eyes.
Benning didn't start the fire.... because he ran out of mentorship matches.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
They will and will get slapped up in round 1. Go in the draft with no 1st or 2nd, have no assets of cap space to improve the team and might even lose Judd Brackett.

People will still call the year a success though.

Meaningful games in March!

And all it took was four years of being one of the worst teams in the league, spending to the cap, and giving up a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and top 5 prospect!

Vindication for the psychophant media and online apologista!

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Yeah, they will. Momentum is in favour of Minnesota right now but that could change.

I think Calgary gets Pac-3 and Vancouver and Winnipeg gets the WC spots.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->