Speculation: Will the Canucks make the 19/20 playoffs? (20.03.08)

Will the Canucks make the 19/20 playoffs? (20.03.08)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
what I am about to say should in no way take away from how brilliantly Miller has played.

but I fail how anyone at this moment can call that trade a win. You should either look at it at the time of trade when many said it was too much.

or you have to say it is TBD.

if you are not judging it at the time of the trade we don’t even know the value of the first yet. What if the first becomes another Pettersson? What if this year is a statistical outlier and miller flops next season?

I will repeat this isn’t to say miller has t been our best forward.
I (and the other 99%) look at the result of the trade...he's leading our team in points, and in leadership..and he has a great contract..

The whole 'look at it at the time of the trade ' narrative is garbage..So we'll have to agree to disagree there.

I'm not in the 'what if' crowd.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The result of the Miller trade is that Canucks went from being a bottom feeder to being a bottom feeder.

Oh, and we gave up a 1st and a 3rd to get there.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I (and the other 99%) look at the result of the trade...he's leading our team in points, and in leadership..and he has a great contract..

The whole 'look at it at the time of the trade ' narrative is garbage..So we'll have to agree to disagree there.

I'm not in the 'what if' crowd.

no you were in essentially the wait and see crowd that hasn’t waited to see what we traded...

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
The result of the Miller trade is that Canucks went from being a bottom feeder to being a bottom feeder.

Oh, and we gave up a 1st and a 3rd to get there.

Actually worse. Not only did we give up a 1st and 3rd but he made us less of a lottery team so we are getting a worse pick in the draft. (Although GMJB just trades them anyways).

Reactions: I am toxic

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Actually worse. Not only did we give up a 1st and 3rd but he made us less of a lottery team so we are getting a worse pick in the draft. (Although GMJB just trades them anyways).

Yep.

The better Miller plays, the worse this trade is for us. Pretty much guarantees we won't see a top 5 pick for the next several drafts, and all our other picks will be worse each round.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
no you were in essentially the wait and see crowd that hasn’t waited to see what we traded...
Obviously, like most posters here,I was horrified that we gave a up a 1st...but at the end of the day, it was a great trade by Benning.

The trade was a 'kickstart' to get the Canucks into playoff contention, and solidify the top 6....If that trade wasn't made, we would most likely have not been in any playoff conversation..Building would be half empty, and we would have been talking about our 2020 draft pick just after last Christmas 2019.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Obviously, like most posters here,I was horrified that we gave a up a 1st...but at the end of the day, it was a great trade by Benning.

The trade was a 'kickstart' to get the Canucks into playoff contention, and solidify the top 6....If that trade wasn't made, we would most likely have not been in any playoff conversation..Building would be half empty, and we would have been talking about our 2020 draft pick just after last Christmas 2019.

how can you say it was great without knowing what we gave up?

Reactions: Bleach Clean

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
If they lose tonight I really hope we just freefall into tank mode. We can still land in a position to be in a range of a top 10 pick (if Nashville, Arizona and Montreal can zip past us). Not being overly negative, it's just the best outcome from then on. Otherwise if we just tread water and win a few we'd likely end up just outside the WC spot and picking 15th.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Whoever that pick is..more than likely, wont be playing in the league for at least 2-3 more years...How much longer did you want the Canucks to languish in the cellar.

wait where are we now? We might not be in the cellar, but I don’t think we hit the main floor yet.

we have no room for growth now is the issue. This is probably the peak of what the team will be.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
what I am about to say should in no way take away from how brilliantly Miller has played.

but I fail how anyone at this moment can call that trade a win. You should either look at it at the time of trade when many said it was too much.

or you have to say it is TBD.

if you are not judging it at the time of the trade we don’t even know the value of the first yet. What if the first becomes another Pettersson? What if this year is a statistical outlier and miller flops next season?

I will repeat this isn’t to say miller has t been our best forward.

Judging it now in full, when you don't know if they will make the playoffs is still a reach. So when people scoff at process (values at the time of trade), they should stay consistent and scoff when the value on the other side is not known either -- But clearly, they don't. This is hypocritical.

Miller is playing extremely well, yes, but they are still not assured of a playoff berth. The very key aspect upon which this trade is based.

Reactions: racerjoe

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
wait where are we now? We might not be in the cellar, but I don’t think we hit the main floor yet.

we have no room for growth now is the issue. This is probably the peak of what the team will be.
We're not in the cellar, we're right in the pack of all the other teams competing for a playoff spot (with a very young, inexperienced core group)...

This is not the 'peak' of what this team will be...If you want to buy in to the HF Canucks 'doomsday prophecies',that are churned out by the 'what if' crowd.(and Mr Crackpot Logic)..thats entirely up you.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
We're not in the cellar, we're right in the pack of all the other teams competing for a playoff spot (with a very young, inexperienced core group)...

This is not the 'peak' of what this team will be...If you want to buy in to the HF Canucks 'doomsday prophecies',that are churned out by the 'what if' crowd.(and Mr Crackpot Logic)..thats entirely up you.
Who's Mr. Crackpot Logic?

scared-smiley-emoticon.gif

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

Umm you realize you are currently also playing a what if game thinking this won’t be the top for the team?

also the Canucks as of the writing of this post are 21st in the nhl, so bottom third... again not the basement but not even on the main floor.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I see the false equivalence between improving the team and needing to trade a 1st is getting spewed again.

Improvement didn’t have to come at the expense of that futures offer, which we ultimately don’t know what it ends up being.

But again if JT Miller is literally the fulcrum at which this team is in or out of the playoffs and could have to play to a half full arena where they’re out of it by Christmas will the juice end up being worth the squeeze. A team that even the Benning fans are now saying would be a high lottery team without this player, with an agreed cap issue moving forward. Just seems like the risk considerably outweighs the payoff.

Again this should take nothing away from the beyond anyone’s wildest expectations performance Miller has performed at this season.

I know if they get in there will be a lot of dunking on people about this trade going on but for me it wouldn’t really change much. The team needs to be a contender year over year for it to be a conclusive victory.

member 290103

we are a capped out team chock full of several terrible long term contracts for poor performing vets that will ultimately result in losing superior players.

this is not a team that has been constructed with any sort of long term vision.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
we are a capped out team chock full of several terrible long term contracts for poor performing vets that will ultimately result in losing superior players.

this is not a team that has been constructed with any sort of long term vision.
The key core players..Horvat,EP.Hughes,Boeser,..and lesser core players Gaudette,Demko,Virtanen are all 24 and under..The core will go through many transformations with supporting players in the coming years..Dont sweat it.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The people saying the Miller trade is bad because it hinders our ability to get a higher draft pick are absolutely hilarious.

It’s the same argument as “if we drafted Nylander we wouldn’t be in a position to get Pettersson!!”

Garbage narrative. I think Miller has caught lightning in a bottle here, and see him as a 60 ish point player moving forward opposed to a 85 ish but it’s still a great move.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
The people saying the Miller trade is bad because it hinders our ability to get a higher draft pick are absolutely hilarious.

It’s the same argument as “if we drafted Nylander we wouldn’t be in a position to get Pettersson!!”

Garbage narrative. I think Miller has caught lightning in a bottle here, and see him as a 60 ish point player moving forward opposed to a 85 ish but it’s still a great move.

We literally gave up a 1st round pick, in addition to a 3rd round pick. So we could move from being a bubble team to being a bubble team.

Great performance by Miller.

Terrible trade.

Reactions: tyhee

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
We literally gave up a 1st round pick, in addition to a 3rd round pick. So we could move from being a bubble team to being a bubble team.

Great performance by Miller.

Terrible trade.
A prime aged elite first liner, with a young core that need to be supplemented by talent it’s absolutely a good move in hindsight.

If the Canucks made more moves like these instead of the overpaid junk they would have an incredibly bright future.

Miller is likely the Patrick Sharp to this core.

I am toxic

Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
A prime aged elite first liner, with a young core that need to be supplemented by talent it’s absolutely a good move in hindsight.

If the Canucks made more moves like these instead of the overpaid junk they would have an incredibly bright future.

Miller is likely the Patrick Sharp to this core.

That's a pretty big . . . well, you get the idea

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad