Will Stephan Da Costa play for Ottawa? (Mod: KHL likely per Bob McKenzie, June 16)

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
This post will be awesome to read in a few years when Da Costa continues to do nothing relevant.

I can't believe how many people are upset with this. If Da Costa was in our top 6, we would be destined to fail this year. Is it possible that he exceeds expectations, of course. But in all likelyhood, he was destined for Bingo regardless.

BTW. Tim Murray is GONE. Even if he were still here, Da Costa would have been let go.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Conacher, Da Costa, Filatov, and Hemsky. Do you think they would actually make us go through the formality of playing for the Cup if we had them instead of Greening, Smith, Neil, and Condra?

Wait, really? There are people wishing we had them still, thinking they could be difference makers, and that Murray letting them go shows that HE is the one not knowing how to build a team? Surely you jest?

Sure these guys are nice to give a chance to when they are developing on two-ways. But to offer them one-way contracts and make a commitment to a group that defines the phrase " a poor mans ..." player.. what is with this k-mart shopping mentality.

That BMurr has let all them go reconfirms for me that he is a good GM. May i just say - whew, let the proper track continue.

Strong post. I agree all around

WhiteLight*

The Sens don't even have 6 forwards that are better than Da Costa. Therefore, getting rid of him is stupid.

He's never been given a fair shake in the NHL so how can any of you say he won't amount to anything? He looked good both offensively and defensively last year, and he's seemingly done everything the organization has asked him to. What more do they want?

Give him a 1 year 1-way deal even if you don't have faith in him as a top 9 forward. At WORST, he'll be the 13th forward next year, not hurt you, and then let go if he fails to stick. No big deal. It's not like Ottawa is overflowing with NHL forwards right now anyway

Good lord

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The Sens don't even have 6 forwards that are better than Da Costa. Therefore, getting rid of him is stupid.

He's never been given a fair shake in the NHL so how can any of you say he won't amount to anything? He looked good both offensively and defensively last year, and he's seemingly done everything the organization has asked him to. What more do they want?

Give him a 1 year 1-way deal even if you don't have faith in him as a top 9 forward. At WORST, he'll be the 13th forward next year, not hurt you, and then let go if he fails to stick. No big deal. It's not like Ottawa is overflowing with NHL forwards right now anyway

Good lord

Excellent post. My sentiments exactly.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Dunno about that.

You have to trust Murray/Dorion's player evaluation skills. It's not MacLean's decision here, despite what he did with Da Bosta's ice time. I think he did everything management wanted too, but who knows.

I think we have to wait till the end of the offseason to judge what they did with Da Bosta. What if we add a legit center? No one would miss Da Bosta then, as awesome as he is.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Give him a 1 year 1-way deal even if you don't have faith in him as a top 9 forward. At WORST, he'll be the 13th forward next year, not hurt you, and then let go if he fails to stick. No big deal. It's not like Ottawa is overflowing with NHL forwards right now anyway.

Why even bother saying that before the 1st regular season game? Like really, is it the first offseason you follow a NHL team?

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Da Bosta fan as he is a rare countryman in the NHL, but it is what it is. I would have preferred that they chose him over Hoffman, but the reason is simply because Hoffman was willing to sign a 2-way, and apparently Stephane wasn't. Sens don't have much cash to burn these days, so signing a 1-way deal over a million (what he is worth IMO), is too risky for them. The only thing you can do is get rich yourself and buy the team from Melnyk.

That being said, I hope he comes back with the Sens at some point, or never leaves or accept a 2-way. Somebody should convince him to give it one last try, accept a 2-way, you will make the team and earn NHL Money! Or the KHL is just too good to turn down.

Another problem about Da Costa, is he might not play another position than Center, where the Sens have a lot depth, even when Spezza leaves

I think we have to wait till the end of the offseason to judge what they did with Da Bosta. What if we add a legit center? No one would miss Da Bosta then, as awesome as he is.

Turris/Zibanejad/Lazar/Smith
Turris/Zibanejad/Smith/Grant
Turris/Lazar/Smith/Grant
xxxx/Turris/Zibanejad/Smith
Turris/xxxx/Zibanejad/Smith
Turris/Zibanejad/Smith/Pageau

So many possibilities. I'm pretty sure the Sens are banking on Zibanejad breaking out at some point (sooner than later)

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Too bad. Really thought he's going to get a shot this year with Spezza leaving.

We will need scoring this year, he would would have softened the blow.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004

Good lord

Chris Neil is taking that roster spot. Why would we want prospects with upside when we have an old guy to take up the space.

Same can be said for Greening taking up the spot

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Da Costa is not being held off the NHL roster because of Neil :facepalm:

Greening maybe but they have very, very different skillsets

It's too bad because I did like Da Costa but I have my doubts as to if he's good enough to be an NHL regular

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Uh... Da Costa is a center, never saw him play another position in a consistent basis.

So why are people are talking about Neil and Greening taking away a roster spot for him?

Da Costa is competing against :

Spezza (likely gone)
Turris (lock)
Zibanejad (lock)
Smith (lock)
Pageau
Lazar
Grant
Dzingel

Da Costa won't be back because of money (won't sign a 2-way, and looks like he has a lucrative deal in place in the KHL) and the position he plays (Sens have a lot of depth at center)

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Uh... Da Costa is a center, never saw him play another position in a consistent basis.

So why are people are talking about Neil and Greening taking away a roster spot for him?

Spezza (likely gone)
Turris (lock)
Zibanejad (lock)
Smith (lock)
Pageau
Lazar
Grant
Dzingel

Da Costa won't be back because of money (won't sign a 2-way, and looks like he has a lucrative deal in place in the KHL) and the position he plays (Sens have a lot of depth at center)

Really his only rival is JGP, unless we get a C back from the Spezza deal. If Spezza is not in the lineup, I would have preferred to have SDC than JGP in the starting lineup. We'll need all the scoring we can get next year, me thinks.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011

Spezza (likely gone)
Turris (lock)
Zibanejad (lock)
Smith (lock)
Pageau
Lazar
Grant
Dzingel

I thought Lazer played RW?

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009

Good lord

30 GM's disagree with you, that should tell you something.

Stone looked more impressive in his stint with Ottawa , and he is 3 yrs younger...

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Good lord

Da Costa had the same choice Hoffman was faced with. Hoffman signed Da Costa didn't.

It really is simple, if SDC is as good as you claim then there was absolutely zero risk he wouldn't be in the NHL, even if waived by the Sens.

Fact is SDC himself decided it was safer to take the KHL money than prove himself worthy of a spot in the NHL.

SDC was the one afraid he might fail, Murray gave him the opportunity to show his stuff and win a job.

If he didn't have the confidence he can make the team, then good luck in Russia.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa

Good lord

Yeah, Murray and Co are just missing the boat, how they don't see the obvious greatness in Dacosta is flat out bewildering.

Actually, the rest of the league must be suffering from the same kinda hatred for eurorpean french players. It's the only possible explanation. How else could he have cleared waivers? Even the great Tim Murray declined to take the great Dacosta for free.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Chris Neil is taking that roster spot. Why would we want prospects with upside when we have an old guy to take up the space.

Same can be said for Greening taking up the spot

Dacosta is a center! A center! He doesn't play wing. Just how are two wingers taking over his spot?

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

Good lord

Completely agreed. The guy dominated when he was last called up and actually won us three games almost single handed. If we had kept him up before/after the olympics we might have actually made the playoffs.

People expect stone/hoffman/prince to put up 20-20 next season yet Da Costa doesn't even deserve a legitimate chance with the team? I guess crushing at the WC's wasn't enough. Da Costa must have realized that no matter what he did he wasn't going to get a fair shake. Hopefully he doesn't get injured and comes back to the show next season as a free agent, I'm sure he'll get a contract.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Don't know if this was already posted but apparently Da Costa will be a UFA at the end of 1 year in the KHL so if he returns to the NHL he'll be free to sign with anyone. BM obviously knows SDC's impending status and feels he isn't worth wasting a roster spot even as the 13th forward for 1 season.

We can move on and consider him gone forever.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad