Will Stephan Da Costa play for Ottawa? (Mod: KHL likely per Bob McKenzie, June 16)

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Its not like its a waste but I agree with Fuhr we haven't had much luck with these undrafted college guys. At the end of the day its worth taking a chance on but they are longshot prospects.

People are spinning this Da Costa thing like the Sens are making a huge mistake giving up on him. The fact is he has had time to make it and hasn't made it. There's no conspiracy to keep the guy down, he's just not made it and they are moving on to give the other prospects more room to grow. I like it.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Trade Wiercioch + Hoffman for something good.

Then the bottom six could be like:

Smith - Da Costa - Lazar
Greening - Pageau - Neil/Condra (alternating those two could do wonders for our 4th line)

:crossfing

Wiercioch and Hoffman have far more value to us than they would any other team- why would we move them?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
The Butler saga cost us Filatov.

Filatov was never going to play here. There's a reluctance to bring in Russians, whether it stems from Yashin or Kovalev or just the media piling onto Russians, he was never going to get a fair shake. We never should have given the pick for Nikita to begin with, poor asset management.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
Filatov got sent down because he was on a 2way contract and Butler was given a 1 way contract. Butler could not even be bothered to show up to camp in shape. Pulled his groin and hid it from the team. How did it all end up? Filatov left and we bought out Butler. Backed the wrong horse on that one.

WhiteLight*

Filatov got sent down because he was on a 2way contract and Butler was given a 1 way contract. Butler could not even be bothered to show up to camp in shape. Pulled his groin and hid it from the team. How did it all end up? Filatov left and we bought out Butler. Backed the wrong horse on that one.

But also, Filatov is not a good player.

Da Costa on the other hand is. I hate the way the team is being managed the past year. Before that, it was cool. Now, it is not. There's no reason not to give Da Costa a 1-way, especially since Spezza is being traded. The Sens don't have 13 forwards who are better than Da Costa. AINEC

If Timmeh was here, SDC would get signed

Last edited by a moderator:

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI

Both are better as glue.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
Filatov got sent down because he wasn't playing NHL calibre hockey.

If he were any other nationality it wouldn't be a story, but it is because he's Russian and had the option to go to the KHL.

It's much easier to blame the team because the player didn't want to put in the work, though. Makes fans look less stupid because they got overexcited about a prospect.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Both are better as glue.

fings4r.gif

Quo

Mar 22, 2012
Hamsterdam
But also, Filatov is not a good player.

Da Costa on the other hand is. I hate the way the team is being managed the past year. Before that, it was cool. Now, it is not. There's no reason not to give Da Costa a 1-way, especially since Spezza is being traded. The Sens don't have 13 forwards who are better than Da Costa. AINEC

If Timmeh was here, SDC would get signed

If Tim wants him, I imagine he could acquire him and give him the contract he wants relatively easily.

We own his rights. If any team wants to lure him away from the K with a one-way deal, let them step up.

The King of Town

Jan 26, 2004
Free Country
If Tim wants him, I imagine he could acquire him and give him the contract he wants relatively easily.

We own his rights. If any team wants to lure him away from the K with a one-way deal, let them step up.

I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened already.

Maybe Tim's trying to hit nothing but home runs on all his deals, so he's playing hard ball. I hope that isn't the case, it'll hurt him in the long run.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened already.

Maybe Tim's trying to hit nothing but home runs on all his deals, so he's playing hard ball. I hope that isn't the case, it'll hurt him in the long run.

Fits Tim's personality, IMO.

Seems to be what he was doing with Chris Stewart at the trade deadline.

WhiteLight*

Or offer sheet him a 1-way contract below anything that requires compensation and get him for free

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Conacher, Da Costa, Filatov, and Hemsky. Do you think they would actually make us go through the formality of playing for the Cup if we had them instead of Greening, Smith, Neil, and Condra?

Wait, really? There are people wishing we had them still, thinking they could be difference makers, and that Murray letting them go shows that HE is the one not knowing how to build a team? Surely you jest?

Sure these guys are nice to give a chance to when they are developing on two-ways. But to offer them one-way contracts and make a commitment to a group that defines the phrase " a poor mans ..." player.. what is with this k-mart shopping mentality.

That BMurr has let all them go reconfirms for me that he is a good GM. May i just say - whew, let the proper track continue.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Talking about Ottawa... I'm sure college signings work out well for some other teams... But I have not seen the magic here

Prior to Ottawa, Murray had a fantastic track record with College UFA's. Boyle, Glencross etc.

I also seem to remember you getting pretty excited over every Burke FA signing but now bashing Murray?

Do you have an agenda here?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
All I see with names like Butler, Filatov and Conacher among others is a large disconnect between coach and GM. I could include Da Costa too but his situation might be for slightly different reasons.

It bugs the heck out of me when I see the GM bring an offensively minded player in (who the scouts and assistant GM obviously liked too) but then when he make a mistake he's on the 4th line, rarely sees the ice again and then sits in the stands while a plug who can't hit the net plays no matter how many mistakes he makes. Some may argue yes but he didn't take advantage of his chances. My goodness the 3rd/4th liners who were put on the top 2 lines didn't either so whats the difference. How can young guys develop if they are not taught and played. IMO the GM and coach are not on the same page but they are stuck with each other for now. It must be frustrating as heck for Bryan. I can't believe it's a healthy working relationship. I'm sure Melnyk is the main reason they aren't divorced already.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Other than Lazar all those players you mentioned are plugs.

They will probably all be in the KHL at some point :P

Uh... Is it a sarcasm post?

Lazar 19
Pageau 21
Dzingel 22
Grant 24

Pageau and Grant already have some NHL experience. You mean outside of Lazar, those guys have peaked? And what the hell is a plug? Everyone use that word but it seems a bit too easy to do. And I have some trouble with calling NHL players plugs when those guys are 10 times better than me or the guys I play with, which would themselves skate circles around many interneters who are using this word. What a crazy stupid world.

We got more than 100 games of decent, cheap labour without giving up any assets to do it. How i nthe world can that be construed as a negative?

Biased agendas? Can't really think about anything else.

Those College signings are like FREE DRAFT PICKS already a bit developped... That's Murray does when he uses picks in trades, he goes out and offset it right away with highly-touted free college agents. But he's a poor asset manager, so you have to keep it that way.

Funny thing is those Murray haters created their own monster by bashing the dude non-stop and often unfairly all those years instead of criticizing where it was due. I for one would have never started defending the guy if the bash fest was a bit more "civil" and respectful. In reality, I don't even care about Murray more than any other +60 Ontario man but I like justice

Filatov was never going to play here. There's a reluctance to bring in Russians, whether it stems from Yashin or Kovalev or just the media piling onto Russians, he was never going to get a fair shake. We never should have given the pick for Nikita to begin with, poor asset management.

Sigh, what was I saying? :laugh:

Filatov got sent down because he wasn't playing NHL calibre hockey.

If he were any other nationality it wouldn't be a story, but it is because he's Russian and had the option to go to the KHL.

It's much easier to blame the team because the player didn't want to put in the work, though. Makes fans look less stupid because they got overexcited about a prospect.

Ball, set and game.

Like Columbus we tried but it just didn't work. There is no 100% success rate in the NHL or anywhere in life, not even close. Still, he was a much better prospect that what we could have gotten with a 3rd round pick, so it was worth the gamble. end of story and this board should just move on.

/Filatov

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2