Will Stephan Da Costa play for Ottawa? (Mod: KHL likely per Bob McKenzie, June 16)

POOLSHARK19

Mar 25, 2013
Simple Question for Sens fans.

If Ottawa trades Spezza this off season and gets a winger or dman in return, Does Stephan Da Costa make the team next season? I for one believe Da Costa is an NHL player and should be in Ottawa’s lineup. He looked great in his call up this year and has immense skill and playmaking ability, something that will be lacking if we do decide to trade Spezza .

So, with a centre position possibly opening up next season, Does Da costa get the job or is another prospect like Pageau or Lazar the favourite?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Hard to stay. So much can and will probably change from now until then. There may be no spot for him; or we lose players to free agency and makes trades, opening a spot for him.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
If he's not on the sens it will be with somebody else. I think he's shown the ability to play in the nhl; at what capacity, that is still undetermined.

Berserker*

Lazar is the clear cut favourite to make the team. The fact that Da Costa isn't big enough, strong enough or gritty enough to play wing really hurts his chances. If we trade Spezza and don't acquire another centre then I think there is a chance but I wouldn't count on it.

RingoCalamity

Oct 25, 2006
I thought that he was playing well also. I had never been a fan but was starting to come around to Da Costa to the point now where I hope there is room for him and he's able to bring his same level of play.

POOLSHARK19

Mar 25, 2013
I thought that he was playing well also. I had never been a fan but was starting to come around to Da Costa to the point now where I hope there is room for him and he's able to bring his same level of play.

Yea the more I think about it, Da Costa will have a real shot.

I would be happy if Spezza was traded for a winger/dman (kane/enstrom please) and that "hard forward" Brian Murray is talking about is Callahan. I think Lazar should spend a year dominating in the ahl and I think Ottawa will end up keeping Michalek.

Da costa would have a fair shot at making the team. I even think he would excel in this situation. Check out these lines.

Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Kane-Zibanejad-Callahan
Michalek-Da Costa-Stone
Hoffman-Smith-Neil

(trade greening, condra)

Karlsson-Methot
Enstrom-Cowen
Ceci-Phillips

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
It depends if we move bodies this summer. If Spezza is traded, Da Costa is more likely to see playing time.

If we keep the current center depth intact, I think he won't get a lot of NHL time.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
It's a tough position because he has shown that he is an nhl calibre forward, but he has Spezza, Turris, Zibanejad, Smith, Pageau, and next year Lazar in his way. Our centre depth is just too good right now. Hopefully other GMs have taken notice and he has some trade value.

If Spezza gets moved he could compete with Pageau for the 3/4C spot, but that's the only possible way I see him making the NHL with us, unless Zibby is moved to winger full time.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Pageau will top out in bottom 6, Lazar tops in top-6. If Spezza is gone I expect Lazar to be in Ottawa.

Turris, Lazar, Zibanejad, Z.Smith

I bet they let DaCosta go and use Pageau if Ziba slides to wing.

Lenny the Lynx

Sep 20, 2008
ON
Yes.
1. Hemsky and Michalek are going to leave because of the internal cap.
2. Spezza will be traded because of his lack of leadership, and Ryan will be traded to Philly because he wants to play for a better team. We will get fleeced in both deals.
3. Turris and Macarthur will also both demand trades.
4. Zibanejad will get a concussion and not play all year.
5. All of our other young players will not live up to their potential.

So I think that should leave room for Da Costa.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Judging by recent interviews and such, it sounds like Ryan is a lock for being re-signed (maybe I'm reaching), Hemsky could be gone, and Michalek could be on the bubble.

Let's hope for the best (in some people's opinion) and assume Spezza is extended in the summer. The way Murray describes the kind of forward he wants to bring in, it sounds like Stewart from Buffalo might be the guy.

I'm not saying these SHOULD be the forward lines....honestly, I'm not nearly knowledgeable enough to suggest what would make the best team. But based on what's been said over the last few days, this would be my guess.

Mac-Turris-Ryan
Stewart-Spezza-Stone
Hoffman-Da Costa-Zibanejad *(Or swap Zib and Stone)
Greening-Smith-Neil
Condra traded or bought out if Pageau becomes the 13th forward. Otherwise, Condra stays.

Greening could be moved, which would allow Ottawa to hold on to Condra. But I really don't see Greening getting moved since he just got that big extension, and his value is probably at it's lowest point. Pageau also could be kept in the minors, but it feels like they are giving him a serious look.

Smith could also be used as trade bait and replaced with Pageau or Grant, but I feel like Smith has excelled in his role and should be held on to. The only major criticism is he takes bad discipline related penalties, but I guess that comes with the territory.

Zibanejad ideally would play center, but if he plays wing, it seems like there is room for Da Costa if both Michalek and Hemsky walk.

Edit: Lazar could play......but even if he is better than Da Costa, would another year in the minors really hurt Lazar? While the benefit would be that Ottawa would get a full year to look at Da Costa as an NHLer, and possibly raise his value as a moveable asset.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Yes.
2. Spezza will be traded because of his lack of leadership, and Ryan will be traded to Philly because he wants to play for a better team. We will get fleeced in both deals.

You forgot the part where the team gets sold, and relocates to become the second Toronto franchise.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Lazar is the clear cut favourite to make the team. The fact that Da Costa isn't big enough, strong enough or gritty enough to play wing really hurts his chances. If we trade Spezza and don't acquire another centre then I think there is a chance but I wouldn't count on it.

Oh boy. People are going to be so disappointed next season when Lazar doesn't come in and light the league on fire and has troubles that every young player does at some point.

I'm sure the word 'bust' will be used a few times before the end of 2015 :laugh:

Berserker*

Oh boy. People are going to be so disappointed next season when Lazar doesn't come in and light the league on fire and has troubles that every young player does at some point.

I'm sure the word 'bust' will be used a few times before the end of 2015 :laugh:

Murray said recently that he wanted to keep Lazar up this season but decided against it as he felt going to the world junior championships and taking on a bigger role in the WHL would be best for him. So if he wanted him on the team last year, my guess is that he is an almost sure bet to make the team next year.

Now he may start off in a more minor role and as you stated, some fans may turn on him quickly. We have already seen that happen with Zibanejad and Cowen, so there is a good chance that some fans will start claiming that Lazar will be nothing more then a third liner and that we should have drafted a more skilled player or traded up instead. These fans simply aren't patient and don't realize that it takes time and growing pains for prospects to reach their potential.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yea the more I think about it, Da Costa will have a real shot.

I would be happy if Spezza was traded for a winger/dman (kane/enstrom please) and that "hard forward" Brian Murray is talking about is Callahan. I think Lazar should spend a year dominating in the ahl and I think Ottawa will end up keeping Michalek.

Da costa would have a fair shot at making the team. I even think he would excel in this situation. Check out these lines.

Macarthur-Turris-Ryan
Kane-Zibanejad-Callahan
Michalek-Da Costa-Stone
Hoffman-Smith-Neil

(trade greening, condra)

Karlsson-Methot
Enstrom-Cowen
Ceci-Phillips

Callahan coming here VOLUNTARILY? Dream on...

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Murray said recently that he wanted to keep Lazar up this season but decided against it as he felt going to the world junior championships and taking on a bigger role in the WHL would be best for him. So if he wanted him on the team last year, my guess is that he is an almost sure bet to make the team next year.

Now he may start off in a more minor role and as you stated, some fans may turn on him quickly. We have already seen that happen with Zibanejad and Cowen, so there is a good chance that some fans will start claiming that Lazar will be nothing more then a third liner and that we should have drafted a more skilled player or traded up instead. These fans simply aren't patient and don't realize that it takes time and growing pains for prospects to reach their potential.

We're on the same page regarding Lazar then. I don't think we're helping some fans expectations though by saying he's a lock for the team. The truth is that no one who isn't on a one way besides Ceci and Zibanejad are a lock. At the end of the day Lazar and other guys from Binghamton will have to earn their spot and impress Maclean.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
No, if he is picked up by another organization I still think he will be playing in the AHL not the NHL, but I think he will be playing in the KHL or Europe.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Excellent thread. You beat me to it.

If Spezza is traded, DaCosta will get a long look. He has been excellent in the AHL, improved in all facets.

Although I do believe Ottawa will try to acquire a C back if Spezza is moved.

krapsik

Nov 13, 2009
Estonia
Yes.

:laugh: If this scenario is in play, then DaCosta will really become full time NHL player. Only this team is no longer Ottawa Senators. Quebeck Nordiques or Seattle Something.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It really hangs on the Spezza situation. If he is back, I don't see it, simply because guys like Smith, Pageau, Zibanejad, Grant and even Lazar are probably better suited for a checking role. They could still fit him in on a 3rd line of sorts with the right wingers, but it would be an uphill fight for him.

If Spezza is gone however, it wouldn't surprise me to see Da Costa here, simply because he is so good on the PP, and the Sens would probably like to have him their on at least the 2nd PP unit. He would also center one of the top 3 lines.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad