Will Ryan Graves be viewed as a core player by the end of next season?

Will Ryan Graves be viewed as a core player by the end of next season?

• Total voters

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I'm totally fine with having Graves on our 3rd pairing. I think he would be really good in this position. A 3rd pairing D is not part of the core, though.
Ideally we'd have someone who's actually good on the PK on the 3rd pairing though. Graves is very good at 5v5 but he's a weak link on the PK.

Conversely, Zadorov is actually pretty good on the PK according to the stats, and also elevates his game in the playoffs.

The downside with keeping Zadorov over Graves is that he'll likely be more expensive to resign, but nonetheless if someone (*cough*Bergevin*cough) offers a good package for Graves I'd be inclined to accept and keep Zadorov instead.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Graves needs to be relegated to bottom pairing or needs to go. Z as well has to stay under that understanding pretty much. Cole absolutely cannot be on this team anymore and quite frankly shouldn't be on any NHL roster. Sleepy Joe has some work to do this offseason.

larueskee

Player/Member USA Hockey or affilates 1972-2006
Mar 15, 2017
Seattle, WA
Love those pretty charts but they don't tell the whole story. Now regarding Graves did anyone notice his 2 minute plus shift during game 6? I wonder who is coaching the Avs defense because Graves has done that sort of thing all year long. EJ, Girard and Zadorov were guilty of extended shifts earlier in the season and somehow someone got to them. Why not Graves? The ideal shift length in the NHL is 45 seconds. Here are the shift lengths for last nights defensmen Graves had 23 shifts but had a average shift length of 60.2 seconds. He isn't the type of player for that duty. Makar had 28 shifts with a average shift time of 54.1 seconds. I can understand that. Girard 27 shifts with a 46 second average, Cole with 25 shifts and a 41 second average. You want to know why Zadorov is playing so well? His 33 shifts had him averaging just 36 seconds per shift.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Moronic mistakes don't translate to those graphs. And one is enough to sink the team, like his gaffe on the Stars 3rd goal.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Ideally we'd have someone who's actually good on the PK on the 3rd pairing though. Graves is very good at 5v5 but he's a weak link on the PK.

Conversely, Zadorov is actually pretty good on the PK according to the stats, and also elevates his game in the playoffs.

The downside with keeping Zadorov over Graves is that he'll likely be more expensive to resign, but nonetheless if someone (*cough*Bergevin*cough) offers a good package for Graves I'd be inclined to accept and keep Zadorov instead.

Replacing Graves with someone who's better obviously would be ideal but I would be fine with keeping him. His role needs to be reduced, though, and like you said he's not good on the PK.
Z is a player I absolutely want to stay. Yes, he has his faults but he also has his strengths. It's up to the coach to figure out how to use him but I think someone like Z is not easy to replace.

Selzoons

Mar 3, 2018
If their salary demands are reasonable, Graves and Zadorov are competing for a 3rd pairing role on the left side.

If Graves can't learn to PK by next year, then he doesn't really have a place on the team. He often plays on his off hand so it's hard to evaluate how much that plays a role but his 5 vs 5 play (with Makar) doesn't offset being one of the worst players in the NHL at PKing.

Playing a complementary role to Makar as a rookie is admirable but that's not his role on the team long term.

Reactions: Kaizer

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Avs need to be careful with the term on Graves’ next contract. Anything more than two years is going to be a problem. Like others have said, he’s almost certainly going to project as a 5 or 6 on this team, and if he’s going to struggle on the PK, he’s not much good to us.

I’d call MTL and see if they’re still interested. If you can get a really nice return, pull the trigger. Re-sign Zadorov to a 2 year deal and carry on, money in the bank.

Reactions: arun and Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Avs need to be careful with the term on Graves’ next contract. Anything more than two years is going to be a problem. Like others have said, he’s almost certainly going to project as a 5 or 6 on this team, and if he’s going to struggle on the PK, he’s not much good to us.

I’d call MTL and see if they’re still interested. If you can get a really nice return, pull the trigger. Re-sign Zadorov to a 2 year deal and carry on, money in the bank.
If I'm Sakic I'd check if Bergevin is still interested in Graves, and if yes then structure a trade around Danault/Graves. And then get to work on an extension for Danault so he doesn't have to feel pressured to produce points as 3C in a contract year. Mackinnon-Kadri-Danault down the middle absolutely gets this team to the Cup final.

Reactions: AvsCOL

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad