Speculation: Will Reimer be considered Infamous in the future?

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto
Infamous? I don't think so. I think he'll be seen as another young player this organization wrecked. It's a pretty familiar story.

Another young player wrecked? He's 26 years old. He has been given the reigns, something he wanted, then when they tried to take some pressure off him, he acted like a giant baby. I've been supportive of him until recently, but in no way did the Leafs ruin him. The team might give up a lot of shots, but he's solely at fault for the horrendous goals that he's let in.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Most of the goals he's letting in are 2-on-1's, great shots, breakaways, etc. With this defense, you could say a lot of the goals aren't his fault, but if you want to be considered a "good" NHL goalie, you have to make a save on those once in awhile.

He never does. If it's a quality scoring chance, he doesn't stand a chance.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Does anyone else feel like Reimer is bombing on purpose because he hates Carlyle and knows he wont be back next year?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Most of the goals he's letting in are 2-on-1's, great shots, breakaways, etc. With this defense, you could say a lot of the goals aren't his fault, but if you want to be considered a "good" NHL goalie, you have to make a save on those once in awhile.

Boy oh boy....

If there was ever a book written on a goalie.

James Reimer
1. Shoot on his glove side.
2. His side to side movement is awful.
3. His rebound control is horrible.
4. He has next to no puck handling skills so he will freeze pucks way more than the average goalie.

My gosh.......

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This isn't reimers fault, our team has hung out our goalies almost all season long. We've rarely ever truly outplayed our opponents, the corsi stuff wasn't lying. Even though everyone was saying corsi is bull**** and pointing at our win column, the fact was we really haven't deserved to win as many games as we have, we've regularly been outplayed, outshot and im sure the zone time is pretty lopsided.

What is the zone time stats accumulation for us in the O-zone vs D-zone?

If every mistake will end up in the back of the net, why have a goalie at all? Just start the game six on five and see what you can make of it if you have someone who can't do his job and has to point the finger at his teammates every time the puck is fished out of the net.

Erdinger

Oct 6, 2011
Toronto
If every mistake will end up in the back of the net, why have a goalie at all? Just start the game six on five and see what you can make of it if you have someone who can't do his job and has to point the finger at his teammates every time the puck is fished out of the net.
But we suck with a man advantage now too.

NikoPopp

Dec 19, 2013
Does anyone else feel like Reimer is bombing on purpose because he hates Carlyle and knows he wont be back next year?

I doubt it. I don't think he wants to let down his teammates by dumping the games unless he is some sort of outcast. It would take some next level selfishness to ruin a season's hard work for your entire team just because you dislike the coach.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
He's second guessing everything, lost his confidence and I think he's probably in the MacArthur, Grabovski and Lupul crowd.

This is pretty much it.

His confidence is shot and he isn't comfortable and so he lets in some weak goals and the atrocious defense on this team -- defense and forwards alike -- means that he keeps on getting better than average chances against him.

That means no chance to reverse the vicious cycle he is in right now.

He'll do better with a change of scenery more than likely.

This situation totally reminds me of how a shell shocked and burned out Potvin was treated when Cujo showed up.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's

Reimer's an enigma, he makes saves he has no business making, but then he allows goals he should have stopped. It's infuriating.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
I'll remember him as yet another goalie that was crucified by the TML.

I'll always remember him with that goofie grin that made him look like the dude from american pie.

I remember when he seemingly came out of nowhere when we were basement dwellars and elevated us to almost playoff status. Suddenly we had a number one goalie.

Then, our horrendous defence cost us game seven last year and it all went down hill from there.

Reimer is a slightly above average starting goaltender who needs a good defence ahead of him to be all he can be. Put him on a defence first team and he will be fine.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

No. Hes got more pride then that.

Its part poor play in front of him (how much can you really blame him for a 2 on 1 or break away?) and part lack of confidence.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
Reimer has played poorly in the last 3 games, but so has the whole team and pointing fingers at the goalie isn't right. The goalie is the last line of defense, which makes it easy to blame them. Of the last 5 losses I think you can blame Reimer because for the most part the Leafs were the better team vs Montreal, Tampa Bay and New Jersey all of which the Leafs out shot and/ or out played.

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
Reimer has played poorly in the last 3 games, but so has the whole team and pointing fingers at the goalie isn't right. The goalie is the last line of defense, which makes it easy to blame them. Of the last 5 losses I think you can blame Reimer because for the most part the Leafs were the better team vs Montreal, Tampa Bay and New Jersey all of which the Leafs out shot and/ or out played.

Some of the goals he has let in recently are absolutely inexcusable for any NHL goaltender to allow. He single-handedly lost us the Montreal game and did not help matters in the New Jersey game on the third goal.

While our defence hasn't been good, he has been worse.

What separates the good goalies from the great goalies is the ability to make saves when your team needs them, even when they don't deserve them. Lately Reimer has not possessed that ability.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Well he's showing he's not a 1b starter goaler. He'll get a job somewhere as a pure backup, he'd be fine backing up a stud goalie who is playing 60-70 games so a team like NJ, Nashville, NYR, Florida, etc.

Montreal has Budaj, also a guy who "infamously" flamed out of another team when he was put in a starting role he couldn't handle. When Price got injured a few weeks ago Budaj started I think 9 games and the Habs won about 2, like Reimer, Budaj killing them by consistently letting in softies. These guys are backups who should be playing 10-15 games a season against the weakest teams, and paid accordingly, should not be counted on to start 20-40.

Last edited:

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011

No way, Reimer needs a place to play next year, he wouldn't risk his future just to spite an old man.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Infamous? Of course not.

He will move on in the summer, go somewhere, play very well, earn a number 1 job, and then people will finally realize what this is:

NOT a terrible goalie, but a very good goalie who is going through a terrible spell right now.

still baffles me people are defending this clown.

Of course once that happens, misinformed, short-sighted opinions like this ^ will be proven wrong, and those that have said stupid things about Reimer lately will be the first to pretend like they always knew he would bounce back etc.

Leafs Nation = a bunch of hypocrites, we are.

DaveT83*

Selected in the 4th Round - 99th Overall
Never had a GA below 2.66 in his Junior Career

Yet this is the guy that after more than a decade of losing - and losing HORRIBLY - that the Organization and its fans lives/dies buy. :shakehead

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Selected in the 4th Round - 99th Overall
Never had a GA below 2.66 in his Junior Career

Yet this is the guy that after more than a decade of losing - and losing HORRIBLY - that the Organization and its fans lives/dies buy. :shakehead

Well he started to gain notoriety after he lead Charlotte to the ECHL championship and considering he was the only goalie in the system at the time that was actually doing well, it's understandable the buzz around the organization was to give this guy a shot when the time came.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad