Speculation: Will Reimer be considered Infamous in the future?

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
If we don't make the playoffs, he will get the brunt of the blame this season, that and the game 7 collapse. Yea, I could see it happening.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I believe talent and more importantly character will always prevail....and Reimer has both. When all is said and done, James will be remembered for a fine career, more than just OK. Hopefully some more of that career will be in Toronto, but if not it will be somewhere else in the NHL. I think Bernier has out performed him this year, but good teams need at least 2 solid goalies. I fault Carlyle for mishandling this situation (if indeed, Reimer is on his way out of Toronto)

Those are kind words, but I don't really think Reimer has the character or talent to really be that successful.

I don't think he's a bad guy, but the goaltending battle has revealed some things about Reimer that I think the Maple Leafs were keenly aware of behind closed doors. He's terrible under pressure and has been associated with three massive and spectacular meltdowns in the past three years. The 18 wheeler, the game seven meltdown with a 4-1 lead, everything after the Los Angeles game.

Reimer has a reputation for being a nice guy but the Bernier goaltending battle has revealed some ugly aspects to his mental makeup. Why is there all this controversy about being in a backup role? Why is he not simply mentally ready to do his job and give the chance to win? There's tons of goalies out there who could be number ones out there but are in backup roles. You don't get another starting job by having a crisis in confidence and glaring at the coach and playing abysmal hockey.

As far as talent goes, he's very athletic and has good reflexes, but has no idea how to play the game and has technical flaws that teams happily feast on. I don't know what will happen with him in the future, but I think he's going down that Raycroft path with the makeup that he has.

ConnorTO

Jul 20, 2010
Toronto
are people really blaming him for the loss?

LOL

just stop there
ignore the chara screen and the gardiner give away for the OT goal

Last edited by a moderator:

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
Those are kind words, but I don't really think Reimer has the character or talent to really be that successful.

I don't think he's a bad guy, but the goaltending battle has revealed some things about Reimer that I think the Maple Leafs were keenly aware of behind closed doors. He's terrible under pressure and has been associated with three massive and spectacular meltdowns in the past three years. The 18 wheeler, the game seven meltdown with a 4-1 lead, everything after the Los Angeles game.

Reimer has a reputation for being a nice guy but the Bernier goaltending battle has revealed some ugly aspects to his mental makeup. Why is there all this controversy about being in a backup role? Why is he not simply mentally ready to do his job and give the chance to win? There's tons of goalies out there who could be number ones out there but are in backup roles. You don't get another starting job by having a crisis in confidence and glaring at the coach and playing abysmal hockey.

As far as talent goes, he's very athletic and has good reflexes, but has no idea how to play the game and has technical flaws that teams happily feast on. I don't know what will happen with him in the future, but I think he's going down that Raycroft path with the makeup that he has.

I think if he finds that goaltending coach who sees an upside in him, I think Reimer makes a come back in the '15-'16 season with whatever team picks him up this off-season. I mean I still like him, I'll root for him where he goes and I think he has the talent to be a #1 goalie, but it's obvious he has a lot of work to do and I think it'll take more than an off-season to fix before he hits that next level if it's there.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
When Reimer went down last season Scrivens stepped in and held down the fort. Too bad Reimer couldn't reciprocate this season.

Durkin67

When Reimer went down last season Scrivens stepped in and held down the fort. Too bad Reimer couldn't reciprocate this season.

Reimer is the new Justin Pogge. Anybody remember that game against the Wild where he got lit up for 6 or 7? and good ol rotten ronny making him skate to the bench so he could get an earful in front of a viewing audience of millions...

He's done and dusted in Toronto, plain and simple.

If at present, you are hearing bells ringing, they are likely are coming directly from the goalie graveyard on Bay Street that is MLSE.

The holes he has in his game will need to be filled somewhere other than Toronto, because he's not showing an ability to give the team a chance to stay in the game.

Hopefully, unlike Pogge, he'll get it together elsewhere.

skolgoar

Jun 18, 2002
Visit site
He's 110% the reason for the team stumbling. I mean who can you blame for a team scoring 2.3 goals/game over the last 10 games? The skaters? Maybe if he could score a few goals every game, he wouldn't have to make as many saves.

Maybe if the team didn't find itself behind by two goals early in the game, they could score goals before the opponents go into a defensive posture ...

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
are people really blaming him for the loss?

LOL

just stop there
ignore the chara screen and the gardiner give away for the OT goal

Thank you.

We gave up a lead late in a game, something that's been a problem the entire problem Carlyle's been here. Been a huge problem this year, even when Bernier is in net.

Somehow still Reimer's fault though!

Last edited by a moderator:

TheDream

May 3, 2011
Ontario
When Bernier is ready to start, I would send Reimer down to the AHL. **** this guy, his lucky streak is over and its time for him to face reality.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Once Reimer is eventually traded because there is no way he can return next season, when people bring up his time with the Leafs it's going to start with him being remembered for Game 7 vs Boston.

Also if the Leafs end up missing the playoffs this season people will say how Reimer was in goal for this 5 game lossing streak they are currently going through.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
Once Reimer is eventually traded because there is no way he can return next season, when people bring up his time with the Leafs it's going to start with him being remembered for Game 7 vs Boston.

Also if the Leafs end up missing the playoffs this season people will say how Reimer was in goal for this 5 game lossing streak they are currently going through.

Really depends on how he turns out.

If he becomes a star elsewhere all that will be forgotten and all fans here will say is: "Wow, why didn't the Leafs hang on to him?"

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

and that's it right there. i posted this I think after the Detroit game, but certainly after the Tampa one. This should not have been a surprise to anyone at all, including Reimer. And no one is 'exempting' the defense, (and I don't understand why the goaltending can't be under fire as well as the defense - when Raycroft, Toskala and Gus was in net, the defense was just as horrendous, but Raycroft and Toskala and Gus are all lumped together as not being really good goaltenders here. [I mainly feel that Gus was a victim of mostly the goaltending coach, he's not that bad down in Detroit].

But as much as everyone dumps on Phaneuf and Lupul and everyone else for the 18 wheeler - who was in net for that? Same with Game seven. Same as now. Reimer isn't the sole reason, but he's part of the problem, and as much as people want to blame this on Nonis - bringing in new goaltending started from when Burke was still around.

Burke was trying to get Luongo here.

from day 1 Nonis was trying to get Bernier here [10 month deal - so you can even argue that was from when BURKE was here - I don't think deals were being done during the lockout?], as well as getting Luongo/Kippersof here.

he's being challenged and he loses confidence? this is a sport where you're always going to be challenged, that you always have to bet on yourself. and I'm bringing up the Subban/Franson comparison again. Subban sat out, held out, got his bridge contract, won a Norris, played well this season, and is going to get paid.

Franson sat out, held out accepted his contract and played like crap for the entire year.

Reimer this summer said "he's not going to let anyone steal the net from him" or something very similar. And he's right. no one stole it. Bernier out played him, and when given a chance to show everyone what he could do, Reimer failed to perform.

oilerbear

Jun 2, 2008
LOL.

Sure does not take long for people to turn on a player.
Last year he was Optimus Reim..and now... shrug..

In reality there usually is no middle ground when it comes to fans and players.

Either the player is great.. or they suck.
A player can not have any bad games or a down year.. or else... ;)

I am no Reimer fan but people are being a tad hard on him.
Yes he is not playing that great right now. He must be walking on egg shells.

the success rate of shots by distance from net.
0-10 ft 17-18% double the league shooting %
10-20 ft 23-24% almost triple the league shooting %
20-30 ft 8-9% the league average
>30 ft 3-4% 40% of the league average.

There is a reason they call shots in the box chances!
There is a reason you drive the net!

A week ago Reimer was tied with Bishop for 2nd best save % for shots inside 20ft.
a goal was scored 11.9 % of the time.
Scivens was 5th at 12.9%
Bernier was not in the top 15.

I cannot believe TOR is about to have run out 2 of the 5 best in tight Goalies in the Game in a year!

Goalies are not your problem!

Box protection defence and forwards losing there man!

What is more funny. your goalies are having standard results for shots inside 20 ft.
the resulting goal totals reflect your Defence and forward play.

Reimers agent had it Bang on!

Toronto:
WSH 4; DET 3; TBL 5; NTL 4; NJD 3;
for a total of 19 GA

Edmonton:
DET 1; CAR 1; NSH 1; BUF 3; CGY 8.
for 14GA

Reimer is having a bad spell( league average)

could you imagine Brodeur 27% inside 20.
0r Dubnyk 27% inside 20ft!

We saw it first hand the start of the year!

EDIT: Lucky streak!

He has been doing this for 3 years!

Last edited:

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
When Bernier is ready to start, I would send Reimer down to the AHL. **** this guy, his lucky streak is over and its time for him to face reality.

If he's sent down, someone will claim him off waivers. Best to just keep him up until the off-season, where you can probably get a pick, in exchange.

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
This isn't reimers fault, our team has hung out our goalies almost all season long. We've rarely ever truly outplayed our opponents, the corsi stuff wasn't lying. Even though everyone was saying corsi is bull**** and pointing at our win column, the fact was we really haven't deserved to win as many games as we have, we've regularly been outplayed, outshot and im sure the zone time is pretty lopsided.

What is the zone time stats accumulation for us in the O-zone vs D-zone?

Last edited:

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
This isn't reimers fault, our team has hung out our goalies almost all season long.
What is the zone time stats accumulation for us in the O-zone vs D-zone?

Look the defense hasnt been great, if anything it was slightly better last week as we had much more offensive zone time and even outshot i believe 3 out of the four teams last week.

He let in AT LEAST one soft goal per game, very early within the game.

The defense has always been a problem, but goaltending was one of our strengths, he went from playing like a starter, to playing like it was his first nhl game looking nervous and flopping even more than usual.

Goaltending is just as much a part of the team as anyone else, and being out of position constantly and letting in backbreaking goals can kill a teams momentum.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad