Speculation: Will Petry be traded before the season starts?

Will Petry be traded from Montreal before the start of the upcoming season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I'd imagine buffalo is generally among the top on ntc lists for the players that have that right.
Who knows, it’s close to Detroit. That seems to be his priority right now. Plus even if they are on his list, he might waive because they look to be contending soon.

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
Everyone expecting Petry to be traded, but David Savard could be the odd man out. Same deal length and with 50% retention, it might go down to which one teams prefer between Petry and Savard as RHD

Reactions: StCaufield

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
One of the nice things about this deal is even if Petry's game does fall off a cliff, and teams have no interest in him, the Habs can walk away in just two years with their hands clean. For a worst case scenario, that's a pretty mild result.

As it stands, to turn a couple guys with negative value (hoffman and Pitlick) into a 2nd rounder with zero retention? That's amazing.

Petry as he stands today is worth at least a 2nd rounder as well IMO
While I agree, Pitlick and Hoffman were both on last year of contract. I don't think they would have been hard to move and if not money would be freed up for next summer. Now we have Jeff locked in. Anyway let's see how it all plays out, I can't think him and his wife are that happy about it

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
PP units can have more than 1 D...
Yes but it's shown to be highly ineffective as a strategy (we saw it with Weber and Petry) and also has a domino effect elsewhere: one of Newhook (confidence booster) or Monahan (value boost from point production) not spending time on that top unit.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Everyone expecting Petry to be traded, but David Savard could be the odd man out. Same deal length and with 50% retention, it might go down to which one teams prefer between Petry and Savard as RHD
I think the time to trade David Savard was last year at the TDL. He was hot. His play may come back down a level. I hope he's really working on his fitness level this summer. That seems to be key for him.

Also Hughes was able to use Petry to land Matheson. I'm guessing he likes his chances of once again using Petry as a trade chip to bring in a good asset. But after Petry's year in Pitsburgh, we may need to play him in Montreal, perhaps until the TDL, to get his value back up.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I think the time to trade David Savard was last year at the TDL. He was hot. His play may come back down a level. I hope he's really working on his fitness level this summer. That seems to be key for him.
The thing with Savard is that with Edmundson being traded already, I'd be worried that management wouldn't want to disrupt things too much leadership wise. Savard is a great leader/mentor for the kids.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The thing with Savard is that with Edmundson being traded already, I'd be worried that management wouldn't want to disrupt things too much leadership wise. Savard is a great leader/mentor for the kids.
He is. But there were options this summer in the ufa market. Would Dumba have been a good stop gap leader who could also eventually be traded for more assets? Or is Petry himself a good Savard replacement as a leader?

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
He is. But there were options this summer in the ufa market. Would Dumba have been a good stop gap leader who could also eventually be traded for more assets? Or is Petry himself a good Savard replacement as a leader?
The potential trade return for either one will dictate who stays IMO

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
No shot. You want Savard to be the one blocking shots on the PK, not a young defenceman. Plus he’s won the Cup. He seems perfectly suited to continue in his role as veteran leader.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I'm not in the room obviously but from what I've read from Athletic pieces on Savard, dude is great in the room, wants to be here and as a cup ring too.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I think Petry might even retire.

Everything is on the table imo.
When's the last time a player flat out retired after being traded to a new team? I don't see this happening at all but I'd imagine for all the folks who were saying that HuGo needs to treat veterans right (e.g not burying them in minors) this wouldn't be good at all for image of management.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
When's the last time a player flat out retired after being traded to a new team? I don't see this happening at all but I'd imagine for all the folks who were saying that HuGo needs to treat veterans right (e.g not burying them in minors) this wouldn't be good at all for image of management.
Well you gotta admit, this situation is already really strange and odd. It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad