Speculation: Will Petry be traded before the season starts?

Will Petry be traded from Montreal before the start of the upcoming season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Yes. Hughes wants to be under the cap before season starts. It is advantageous to put Price on LTIR AFTER the beginning of the season, not before, but they have to be cap compliant at the beginning of the season.

My best guest is Petry + one of the goalies are gone before the season starts.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
It entirely depends on whether Hughes wants to use off season LTIR on Price's contract or to try and get under the cap and be cap compliant on opening day before putting him on LTIR. There are advantages/disadvantages to both.

Yes. Hughes wants to be under the cap before season starts. It is advantageous to put Price on LTIR AFTER the beginning of the season, not before, but they have to be cap compliant at the beginning of the season.

My best guest is Petry + one of the goalies are gone before the season starts.
Conversely, if Hughes uses off season LTIR he will need to get as close to the cap as possible.

We will know sooner than later I presume.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Because the Habs have capspace, they have the luxury of keeping Petry and Desmith. Barron / Xhekaj will start in Laval and that may not be a bad thing.

A team will come calling for a Habs goalie in the first month. Or we may incur an injury (Allen). So Desmith isn't a hindrance in my eyes. He could be waived but no point.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
IIRC the Petry have a child with special needs that need regular visit to the Hospital and covid rules made things difficult for them.

But reading this thread I realise it might be better to move him and save ourselves the embarrassment from the haters.
People who want to hate find reasons to do so…. single parenting 4-boys under 6 because spouse is traveling 50% of time and family not being able to come over from Texas, let alone special needs…

His wife got all crazy because of the Covid restrictions, before Covid hit she was pretty happy here as far as we know.
His wife was the reason Petry waived his UFA rights to extend w Habs after being acquired from Edm

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Stays until the TDL.
Maybe. But then we run the risk of him getting hurt.

If there's a deal to be had ahead of the season I think we'll do it. But... there may not be a deal to be had until the season starts. :laugh:

Tripledeke333

Jun 25, 2021
Anyone think Petry may stay? He asked to be traded because his family did not like Covid lockdowns, but those are gone now. He lived here a long time so his family likely has some connections here instead of starting over someplace new. If he finds his game again we could keep him or trade him for more value.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
IIRC the Petry have a child with special needs that need regular visit to the Hospital and covid rules made things difficult for them.

But reading this thread I realise it might be better to move him and save ourselves the embarrassment from the haters.
Yo, f*** that shit.

Just be hating always.

But for real that's a very good reason and it sounded like that might the main reason as he didn't seem that adamant.

If he stays, awesome, if he's dealt, best of luck to him with his new team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad