Speculation: Will Petry be traded before the season starts?

Will Petry be traded from Montreal before the start of the upcoming season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
Side note; what should/will happen with the goalies?

I've seen the Engels article/tweets in which he mentions acquiring DeSmith gives habs flexibility in case they lose Primeau... Does anybody still care about Primeau? And even if you lose him, you still have 3 NHL goalies on the roster.

One of them has to be trade before the season starts right?

Reactions: sampollock

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, I hope so.

There was a lot of toxicity around his last season here. Why reintroduce that to the clubhouse?

Someone would give a decent asset for him at 2.5M or whatever it is.

Reactions: MilesNewton

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Keep him at the expense of a young player's ice time? Petry isn't staying. Why would they keep a 35 year old defenseman at this point in the rebuild? Once the paperwork gets worked out, he's gone. Hughes will retain salary.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Keep him at the expense of a young player's ice time? Petry isn't staying. Why would they keep a 35 year old defenseman at this point in the rebuild? Once the paperwork gets worked out, he's gone. Hughes will retain salary.
To be honest, his icetime would probably come at Savard and Kovacevic expense. Neither of these are young.

I think he's traded, but there's a point in keeping him. ... Altough there's a much better point in trading him.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I hope so, not please with this trade to be honest. Petry didn't have that great of a season and I don't think it get's that much better going forward, we have to stop thinking we will be getting a fantastic return, I don't think we will. Let's see what happens
Unless Petry forgot how to skate, IMO he’s a great fit, just as he was under MSL previously..

His game wasn’t the right fit for Pens.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Side note; what should/will happen with the goalies?

I've seen the Engels article/tweets in which he mentions acquiring DeSmith gives habs flexibility in case they lose Primeau... Does anybody still care about Primeau? And even if you lose him, you still have 3 NHL goalies on the roster.

One of them has to be trade before the season starts right?
I'm not a good goalie judge, but 23 is still very young for a goalie. Tons of them figure it out after 25. Montambeault seems to be one of them.

Or maybe he's just a 7th round pick that's a good AHL goalie.

Too early to tell, but I don't want to throw the towel if I don't have to. He's played behind an atrocious D corps in his time here.

To be honest, his icetime would probably come at Savard and Kovacevic expense. Neither of these are young.

I think he's traded, but there's a point in keeping him. ... Altough there's a much better point in trading him.
If you ice all three, then you're not playing Barron. That's a problem.

Reactions: Guillermo

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I can't see the team starting with Barron, Kovacevic, and Wideman off of the starting six.

Either Petry is traded, someone else is traded, or HuGo knows about an injury.
If Kovacevic and Wideman are still in our top six next year then our journey in the wilderness will continue. Both are only fringe NHLers. I see Petry, Matheson, Guhle, Savard, Xhekaj, Barron as our top six, with Harris as our swing defenceman. All bets are off for 2024/2025, as our wave of young defensive prospects: Reinbacher, Mailloux, etc. may start to make a case for themselves as full time NHLers. By 2025/2026 it would not surprise me if only Guhle and Xhejaj are still with the team as our better prospects (existing and future) will have pushed out older and more expensive ( Matheson, Savard and Petry) and less talented ( Barron and Harris) defencemen.

Reactions: malcb33

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I mean I guess we could trade Savard and keep Petry, but Hughes seemed pretty pissed about the Montembeault incident and how it's not the culture he wants. Maybe he thinks Petry can go back to actually caring about his teammates again.

Slafkofield

May 1, 2022
Hughes will flip him before the start of the season, he traded Edmundson to make room for the young guys, and didn’t retain on Hoffman… he’s gonna flip him at 50% to a contender.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Was he antivax? I thought the family was unhappy about the gathering restrictions. Grandmother couldn’t help with the kids.
I think she wasn't happy about the restrictions and he had to be vaxed to play i don't believe she ever was since she didn't go to games. I imagine he gets flipped or she stays in detroit.

I mean I guess we could trade Savard and keep Petry, but Hughes seemed pretty pissed about the Montembeault incident and how it's not the culture he wants. Maybe he thinks Petry can go back to actually caring about his teammates again.
What incident?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Still think...........that if no one on either side addresses the media soon, as of today, then Hughes is flipping him soon. Today, if we hear from Hughes or Petry, then we will get a better indication of what has gone down.............

I really think he gets flipped.....as for the timing? Anyone's guess.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
What is the Montembeault incident?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Tough question.

I think they want to start the season without Price on LTIR.

But otoh, Petry is a pretty nice fit right now.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
What is the Montembeault incident?
Something way blown out of proportion.

A f***ing dirty goons hitted the goalie in a 5-1 soulless game. No Habs player went to defend Monty.

Petry has been identified as the scapegoat here and received critics for it.

While really, why has Kassian hitted the goalie in the first place? Why isnt Kassian first and foremost the real dirtbag in all of this?

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
We now have the option to pair all of our young defencemen with a veteran partner and Savard would no longer have to be our 1RD.

Guhle - Petry
Matheson - Barron
Harris - Savard
Xhekaj - Kovacevic

Looks like a pretty decent group if the goal is to be better this season, which they said it is.

The only young D affected by keeping Petry is Xhekaj, who would likely need to start in Laval. I also wouldn't be surprised by a mutual contract termination with Norlinder, because with Wideman and Xhekaj sent down, there's quite a logjam in Laval.

Reactions: tnq

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Grier mentioned that there were 2 teams in the running for EK...

Wouldn't it be something if Hughes turns around and moves Petry to the team that lost out (who presumably are trying to add a RD.... Not that Petry is an EK replacement, but with Dumba signing, options for that GM are quite limited & Petry at 4.6M or less for 2 years could be worth it)

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan

I think Barron would also be affected unless they decide to go with a top unit containing 2D.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad