Speculation: Will Petry be traded before the season starts?

Will Petry be traded from Montreal before the start of the upcoming season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I can't see the team starting with Barron, Kovacevic, and Wideman off of the starting six.

Either Petry is traded, someone else is traded, or HuGo knows about an injury.

Reactions: atrud66

Jul 6, 2016
I would keep him if he is in the mood to stay and do his best. Right side will be stronger with him, and it could mean Wideman is gone. A Petry-Matheson combo on PP could be pretty productive.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I can't see the team starting with Barron, Kovacevic, and Wideman off of the starting six.

I think that Hughes will adopt a watch and see attitude with Petry. If the team is flourishing with Petry re-assuming his role as the team’s number 1 defenceman, it would take a major overpayment from another team for Hughes to disrupt the chemistry. If the team continues to be a pretender, then moving Petry becomes a more likely outcome as the trade deadline approachs.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think that Hughes will adopt a watch and see attitude with Petry. If the team is flourishing with Petry re-assuming his role as the team’s number 1 defenceman, it would take a major overpayment from another team for Hughes to disrupt the chemistry. If the team continues to be a pretender, then moving Petry becomes a more likely outcome as the trade deadline approachs.

I don't think there's any way petry stays for the entire 2 years.

I also think it's highly unlikely that he gets traded this summer.

Kovacevic is expendable, and Wideman even more so. They shouldn't be deal breakers when it comes to petry.

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
I'd rather see him traded before the season starts, but who knows. At 50% retained on TDL, he could fetch quite a good return if he has a good season. He's still a good 2nd pairing, 2nd PP dman, and at what, 2.75m or so if we retain, he's definitely an asset that could be quite valuable.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
I see him staying till 2024 TDL.

It’s a good new for our D depth. It also allows Barron to be send down and be the #1 D in Laval.

Matheson-Petry
Ghule-Savard
Xhekaj-Harris
Kovacevic

Wideman (easily sent down)
Barron sent Down (waiver exempt)

It gives great opportunity to Barron to develop in the AHL, and helps in case of an injury

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Odds are very high I'd say...

Petry under 5M will be attractive to at least a few GMs, and with retention the return should be a 1st or equivalent.

If he does start in Montreal, he'll get ample opportunity to put up #'s and will get flipped once a contender with injury issues comes calling.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
50/50 chance

But, the Habs blue line has now improved tremendously which is not good for the tank.

Matheson Petry
Guhle Savard
Xhekaj Harris
Kovacevic Barron

This leaves Wideman out and likely will be placed on waivers for a demotion to Laval, unless HuGo pulls another magic trick.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I see him staying till 2024 TDL.

It’s a good new for our D depth. It also allows Barron to be send down and be the #1 D in Laval.

Matheson-Petry
Ghule-Savard
Xhekaj-Harris
Kovacevic

Wideman (easily sent down)
Barron sent Down (waiver exempt)

It gives great opportunity to Barron to develop in the AHL, and helps in case of an injury
Barron did that last year..............pretty sure he stays up with the big club.

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Barron did that last year..............pretty sure he stays up with the big club.
Hughes said himself that some of our young D that made the team last year made it because of circonstance (because of Matheson and Edmundson injuries).

+ I don’t want Barron on the bench . I prefer to bench Kova.

So , 1 of Xhekaj, Harris or Barron will probably be sent down to respect the roster limit

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I hope so, not please with this trade to be honest. Petry didn't have that great of a season and I don't think it get's that much better going forward, we have to stop thinking we will be getting a fantastic return, I don't think we will. Let's see what happens

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Hughes said himself that some of our young D that made the team last year made it because of circonstance (because of Matheson and Edmundson injuries).

+ I don’t want Barron on the bench . I prefer to bench Kova.

So , 1 of Xhekaj, Harris or Barron will probably be sent down to respect the roster limit
Unless.............Petry is flipped, or maybe Savard traded. Just a possibility.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I hope so, not please with this trade to be honest. Petry didn't have that great of a season and I don't think it get's that much better going forward, we have to stop thinking we will be getting a fantastic return, I don't think we will. Let's see what happens

One of the nice things about this deal is even if Petry's game does fall off a cliff, and teams have no interest in him, the Habs can walk away in just two years with their hands clean. For a worst case scenario, that's a pretty mild result.

As it stands, to turn a couple guys with negative value (hoffman and Pitlick) into a 2nd rounder with zero retention? That's amazing.

Petry as he stands today is worth at least a 2nd rounder as well IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad