Speculation: Will Petry be traded before the season starts?

Will Petry be traded from Montreal before the start of the upcoming season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Just like my mom. lol My dad is more mellow just like my sis. Seriously though it just hurt my soul to see a teammate getting rag dolled or disrespected and seeing his supposed teammates letting the guy getting away with it. I'm the opposite of what they did here, when I'm with you, it's through Hell and back.
Ya no kidding,that shit wouldn't fly if I was on the ice,I was not shy about getting involved.

Reactions: Kimota

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ceci does not interest me in the first place. Not a big help to our transition / offence.

Petry is better than Ceci so why should we bear $5.6M for Ceci while they bear $2.3M for Petry?

Because of another 2nd rounder? Not worth it. Let Petry go to someone who actually values him.

Plus Petry has EDM on his no-trade list.

I don't think this proposal flies.

I'm not taking Ceci for his play on the ice. I'm taking the extra 2nd. However, I understand the angle you are looking at. I agree with it but a part of me looks at probability of moving Petry before the season and it appears low. If we move him, I expect a deal similar to the one to the Oilers and we will have to take back a contract.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
I'm not taking Ceci for his play on the ice. I'm taking the extra 2nd. However, I understand the angle you are looking at. I agree with it but a part of me looks at probability of moving Petry before the season and it appears low. If we move him, I expect a deal similar to the one to the Oilers and we will have to take back a contract.

I know I'd try to flip Ceci too, but still would take pretty much anybody but Petry on the team, I prefer our cast of young Dmen (with some experiencing sophomore jinx), than a disgruntled veteran who don't want to be here. Bad attitude can rub the wrong way, and I'm not sure Petry can be the 'bigger man' here.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
I would not be surprised to see Petry traded to the Dallas Stars.
Me neither. And could be why it is taking that long to get news or even release a statement. If that's where they have the best offer but Dallas can't make it work with their cap issues or while trying to find someone to take Marchment.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd really love to switch Petry with Brett Pesce somehow , but we'd probably have to get a third team involved and be creative money wise. I wonder if there's a way to swing a Petry to Dallas - Pesce to Montreal - a bunch of cap relief, prospects and picks to Carolina type of deal. You have to navigate around the restrictions too, both guys have a partial NTC if I'm not mistaken. Would Pesce even come to Montreal ?

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
Petry at 50% makes way too much sense for the Panthers with their decimated right side too. They could easily offer Carlsson (shirt/contract), a second rounder next year or the year after and a prospect.

Maybe Hugues is adamant he doesn't want to retain. Or maybe he is trying to jettison a veteran like Armia or Allen in parallel with the assets he is trying to secure in the retention transaction. This way he remains under the cap prior to the season while getting even more assets. He is sneaky and creative after all. That would be more complex and take longer.

Reactions: Kimota

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
For me, it is either a first and one year bad contract, or a second and a decent player (not as good as Petry, but with a proper cap hit for a 2+ year term)

Reactions: Habs Halifax

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I know I'd try to flip Ceci too, but still would take pretty much anybody but Petry on the team, I prefer our cast of young Dmen (with some experiencing sophomore jinx), than a disgruntled veteran who don't want to be here. Bad attitude can rub the wrong way, and I'm not sure Petry can be the 'bigger man' here.
I do not fear bad attitude. Petry's play after MSL came on board was miles better than under Dumbcharm and he even rescinded his trade demand.

The upside of him playing is two-fold. One he might easily get back to a 40 point level with 22 minute utilization and a better roster than in early 2022. Two, he might really boost his trade value to where we could get something worthwhile at the TDL or for his final year without retention.

The downside is he can't play in the top 6 and we try to move him for future consideration or ride his contract out, but we got a 2nd and unclogged the F position for this season.

I do not think there is much chance he can't play in the top 6 for two seasons when he is starting at a 2D or 3D level.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Petry at 50% makes way too much sense for the Panthers with their decimated right side too. They could easily offer Carlsson (shirt/contract), a second rounder next year or the year after and a prospect.
Only if it is a very good prospect, otherwise it will have to be with no retention. We could take back an unwanted expiring contract under $3M.

Reactions: 26Mats

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I wonder if part of the delay is Petry and his family going to visit a city or two who are interested in trading for him. Maybe a west cost team or two that he has on his NTC list that they're condiering moving to? It would explain the radio silence of all the parties involved and avoid the media circus that would entail this being made public.

biblihockey

Mar 15, 2022
Shawinigan
hockeyblog.me
So:
Hugues told Casey DeSmith not to worry, Hugues told Montembeault not to worry, not a word on Allen and Petry. Those bodies are packing before day 1 of the next season i guess. Worst case, we keep Petry but , would it be good for young defensmen's developpement ?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
So:
Hugues told Casey DeSmith not to worry, Hugues told Montembeault not to worry, not a word on Allen and Petry. Those bodies are packing before day 1 of the next season i guess. Worst case, we keep Petry but , would it be good for young defensmen's developpement ?
Not sure if DeSmith need not worry...

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Awful moment for Petry, and the guys on the ice..............Brutal, in fact.
Poor Monty. This guy back and a back up goalie. He’s gotta be searching “things to do” around the nhl cities on Trip advisor if feeling sleepless at all this week lol.

Reactions: BLONG7

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For me, it is either a first and one year bad contract, or a second and a decent player (not as good as Petry, but with a proper cap hit for a 2+ year term)

Fair but we may be left with Petry as a 35-37 year old declining asset if either of those trade options are not available.... at a cap hit of $4.7M for two seasons and we don't get to add another pick. It's not much different than taking on a 2 year term on someone else who is not performing to their contract either and with this option, we get to add another 2nd or some form of future. Understand?

We like to assume he still has game and I believe he does but most of us are not considering he digresses from age 35-37 and it gets worse from today forward. I'm a big fan of Petry but we have to be careful with this. Keeping him and expecting him to not be a distraction while we are rebuilding/transitioning can be a risk too. Remember, we traded Hoffman with one year of term for Petry with 2 years of term and added a 2nd/DeSmith. The 2nd rounder is why we made this move bud.

I don't think other GM's are going to play nice. If Petry holds his value at age 35 today and he performs well, then maybe the TDL option or summer of 24 trade option is better with the cap expected to grow. Multiple different circumstances could happen here.

Beggars can't be choosers. Not with this flat cap. We already accepted the Petry cap hit of $4.7M for two years (vs $4.5M for one year with Hoffman) but we added a 2nd and had to take DeSmith. I repeat, we became the 3rd wheel on that trade because we added a 2nd.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Beggars can't be choosers.
Correct. Anyone who wants Petry will have to pay a fair price.

Sure he might decline, but his age is already factored into the $4.6M cap hit.

If he were 31-32 with 2 years left, and a 0.5 ppg big right hand D who gets most of his points ES and can play 22-23 minutes, he would be worth his $6.25M or so.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

I 100% agree. I was and still am a Petry fan but he requested a trade and is heading into his age 35-37 years. No way he wants to come back and for as much as we liked him when he was here, he has a family and he's caught in the middle of it. That can change a person.

So yeah, people are looking at Ceci vs Petry but if we went from Hoffman to Ceci/DeSmith but gained two 2nd rounders, why are some complaining? It's a flat cap people. Moving that contract and getting a future while not taking back a contract or trying to say the contract needs to be a smaller 1 year dump is difficult. There are trends we can't ignore.

I get the feeling that some Habs fans think we are going to be big spenders and we need the cap space. I don't see it that way. We have loads of cap space and we are not going to be big spenders until we are nearing the exit of our transition years. The Hoffman for one year vs Petry for 2 years is a prime example of that and we got to add a 2nd. DeSmith doesn't hurt us.

I can smell Gorton/Hughes plan from a mile away. They are still rebuilding and we are in our transition years but they are also looking to add more draft power in the coming drafts at the same time. Our cap space is not a problem at all. Maybe that changes when Dach is done his 3 years. At that point, we have loads of younger guys either exiting their ELC or their Bridge. That's when we will need the cap space. Not this year, not next, not the year after.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Correct. Anyone who wants Petry will have to pay a fair price.

Sure he might decline, but his age is already factored into the $4.6M cap hit.

If he were 31-32 with 2 years left, and a 0.5 ppg big right hand D who gets most of his points ES and can play 22-23 minutes, he would be worth his $6.25M or so.

I rather two 2nd rounders and Ceci/DeSmith vs one 2nd rounder and Petry/DeSmith. I think we have more cap flexibility moving forward than we realize.

What is a fair price for Petry for his age 35-37 years? That's subjective. I think if your narrative was accurate, we would have quickly seen a trade where we flipped him shortly after. Personally, I think other GM's with cap space to take him on are not going to play nice. We would do the same in the other shoe. :nod:

Or we keep him and see if he wants to play hard to earn his trade value out of town where we get what we want. I see risks for all different angles. Not just one angle.

The whole Ceci idea might not even be possible if Petry has the Oilers on his NTC list and he won't waive it. I personally think he would prefer to play in Edmonton vs Montreal at this point in time. If not the Oilers, not sure what other kind of trade idea (A realistic one) that would work. The flat cap combined with his 15 team NTC list is not easy to manage around.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Not sure if DeSmith need not worry...

4 more years of Campbell at $5M is almost impossible to move. I wonder if it was possible to trade them Petry/DeSmith and get a 1st/Campbell but then flip Campbell at 50% to another team but the Oilers would have to give us two 1st rounders. One for us and one to move Campbell to another team? Or we get a 1st and a 2nd from the Oilers and send the 2nd rounder to the 3rd team? Would the other team like that? Campbell for 4 years at $2.5M and they add a 2nd?

For as creative as I can get, I find it difficult to even think about taking on Campbell. Even having him with a retention spot for 4 years at $2.5M is risky. I think that earns more than a 1st rounder (late 1st).

I am not sure Hughes creativity would be able to make that work.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I rather two 2nd rounders and Ceci/DeSmith vs one 2nd rounder and Petry/DeSmith. I think we have more cap flexibility moving forward than we realize.

What is a fair price for Petry for his age 35-37 years? That's subjective. I think if your narrative was accurate, we would have quickly seen a trade where we flipped him shortly after. Personally, I think other GM's with cap space to take him on are not going to play nice. We would do the same in the other shoe. :nod:

Or we keep him and see if he wants to play hard to earn his trade value out of town where we get what we want. I see risks for all different angles. Not just one angle.

The whole Ceci idea might not even be possible if Petry has the Oilers on his NTC list and he won't waive it. I personally think he would prefer to play in Edmonton vs Montreal at this point in time. If not the Oilers, not sure what other kind of trade idea (A realistic one) that would work. The flat cap combined with his 15 team NTC list is not easy to manage around.
No way.

He and Julie LOVED Montreal, and if not for COVID would still be happy here doing their community stuff.

Cap is going up next year. I'd run with the 2nd pair D or a proper return for that type of player. Just because we think we got him cheap does not mean we should give him away cheap.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No way.

He and Julie LOVED Montreal, and if not for COVID would still be happy here doing their community stuff.

Cap is going up next year. I'd run with the 2nd pair D or a proper return for that type of player. Just because we think we got him cheap does not mean we should give him away cheap.

Do you think they change their minds and the plan is to have Petry finish the contract in Montreal or at least, start the season with us and they see where they are at for the 24 TDL?

Also, do you think Hughes talked to Petry or his agent (asked for permission) before he accepted the trade? Or did he do it blindly?

Of course I'd prefer to get the best return possible. In case you didn't notice, I'm talking about realistic trades with this flat cap and his NTC (15 teams) and his age 35-37 years. This is far from "wanting" to give him away for cheap. Please don't comprehend it that way

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I get the feeling that some Habs fans think we are going to be big spenders and we need the cap space. I don't see it that way. We have loads of cap space and we are not going to be big spenders until we are nearing the exit of our transition years.
Having millions more in cap space does not mean that the only way to use it is on some big name UFA.

The cap space can be used to acquire and/or lock up good relatively young players that are likely going to be part of the core but not superstars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad