Speculation: Will Petry be traded before the season starts?

Will Petry be traded from Montreal before the start of the upcoming season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Petry at 50% makes way too much sense for the Panthers with their decimated right side too. They could easily offer Carlsson (shirt/contract), a second rounder next year or the year after and a prospect.

Maybe Hugues is adamant he doesn't want to retain. Or maybe he is trying to jettison a veteran like Armia or Allen in parallel with the assets he is trying to secure in the retention transaction. This way he remains under the cap prior to the season while getting even more assets. He is sneaky and creative after all. That would be more complex and take longer.

Hughes might be talking with 3-5 teams as we speak and trying to get the details sorted out. 50% retention is no joke for a D man who still can be a good 2nd pairing option and is a RD. I still find it difficult with the Flap cap and 15 team NTC and also with Petry age (35-37).

Of course other teams are interested. The question is what contract will they try to send to us. Your guess is as good as mine.

Having millions more in cap space does not mean that the only way to use it is on some big name UFA.

The cap space can be used to acquire and/or lock up good relatively young players that are likely going to be part of the core but not superstars.

We already have cap structure to sign our young players. Even with Petry with us. Otherwise, Hughes would have not made that trade going from one year with Hoffman to 2 with Petry. Think about it. Your comeback context makes no sense.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
4 more years of Campbell at $5M is almost impossible to move. I wonder if it was possible to trade them Petry/DeSmith and get a 1st/Campbell but then flip Campbell at 50% to another team but the Oilers would have to give us two 1st rounders. One for us and one to move Campbell to another team? Or we get a 1st and a 2nd from the Oilers and send the 2nd rounder to the 3rd team? Would the other team like that? Campbell for 4 years at $2.5M and they add a 2nd?

For as creative as I can get, I find it difficult to even think about taking on Campbell. Even having him with a retention spot for 4 years at $2.5M is risky. I think that earns more than a 1st rounder (late 1st).

I am not sure Hughes creativity would be able to make that work.
Holland...............like MB seems when a mistake is made, it's a doozy.
Giving big money and term, is a nightmare in a ton of cases.............GM's have got to be careful making mistakes like that...........
Poor Campbell, really likeable guy, I was hoping he would help the Oilers................nope.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Holland...............like MB seems when a mistake is made, it's a doozy.
Giving big money and term, is a nightmare in a ton of cases.............GM's have got to be careful making mistakes like that...........
Poor Campbell, really likeable guy, I was hoping he would help the Oilers................nope.

5 years in term was the mistake. Should have been 3 years top. Sakic knows how to manage goalies. If you commit to a goalie for 5 years or more, they should be a top 10 goalie and proven over just one season.

If they signed him for 3 years, they would have 2 left (not 4). Big difference. Easier to move a 2 year term vs 4.

If the Habs extend Monty, we should also keep it to 3 years. If it's 5 years, it better be a value contract at $2.5M or under. There is just not that many goalies that can be top 10 level for 5 years in a row. It's very very rare. And to those nit pickers, no... I'm not saying Monty is a top 10 goalie.

Reactions: BLONG7

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We already have cap structure to sign our young players. Even with Petry with us. Otherwise, Hughes would have not made that trade going from one year with Hoffman to 2 with Petry. Think about it. Your comeback context makes no sense.
I agree, but I think Kent wants BOTH the ability to sign our players as they grow into their future roles AND the ability to get NEW guys like the next Dach or Newhook or the next Dubois.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
5 years in term was the mistake. Should have been 3 years top. Sakic knows how to manage goalies. If you commit to a goalie for 5 years or more, they should be a top 10 goalie and proven over just one season.

If they signed him for 3 years, they would have 2 left (not 4). Big difference. Easier to move a 2 year term vs 4.

If the Habs extend Monty, we should also keep it to 3 years. If it's 5 years, it better be a value contract at $2.5M or under. There is just not that many goalies that can be top 10 level for 5 years in a row. It's very very rare. And to those nit pickers, no... I'm not saying Monty is a top 10 goalie.
2 years extension is probably perfect for Monty, especially since the extension only starts NEXT year. Once we get to 2026, we should have a better idea what we have in Dobes and Fowler and the rest of our goalie prospects. If it were three years at lowish value I'd probably be ok with it too.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
It all depends how much they value Price's LTIR relief vs the assets they think they can get now or at the deadline.

Scenario 1: They value it very much because it helps them starts the season under the cap, put Price on LTIR on day one, then use it to recall players, take a contract or most importantly have various bonus values count this year and not be postponed to next. In that scenario, they might trade him for the best possible return before the season starts and if it's a late pick or future considerations, so be it. And same might be said of De Smith.

Scenario 2: Their primary target is assets they can get in return and they think there is a great market for him. They saw him as a piece they could extract value from. They don't mind that much keeping Price on LTIR before the season even starts, despite that meaning they can't use the full relief and will have to deal with some potential cap headaches next year. In that case they will retain maximum and flip him to the highest bidder now or at the deadline if they feel the context with other teams' LTIR then will be more favorable.

Scenario 3: They actually saw him as a player who could help the team. They will trade him if they get the right offer, but are in no hurry to do so. They will likely not retain unless the return on the ice is greater than what they see in Petry.

Kent Hugues does not seem to like retaining for multiple years. The lack of press conference and communication with players seem to indicate he did not target Petry as an add to the team. Unless there is no market for Petry without retention I would not be surprised to see him traded for far less than the gold mine and high draft picks some dream of. Just getting rid of Hoffman into Petry into no cap hit would be a win for us. Anything more is gravy in the first scenario.
We can get cap compliant without trading Petry and having Price on the active roster.

Just have to send down some of our waiver exempt players to get under the cap on day 1 and then calling them up after putting Price on the LTIR.

Last edited:

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
I think the cap situation will really be important in determining when and how Hughes makes his next trades. He needs to decide which way he is going to go with the Price LTIR and make sure he doesn't end up in no mans land.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
We can get cap compliant without trading Petry and having Price on the active roster.

Just have to send down some of our waiver exempt players to get under the cap on day 1 and then calling them up after putting Price on the LTIR.
The cap system around compliance is a weird one.......let's just say we are happy we now have a GM who knows what he is doing, in all facets of the job.
Petry will be traded fairly soon............you know he has a deal or two brewing.

Reactions: Belial

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023

You are correct it appears we can. We need to remove no less than $5,171,666 by doing so. Demoting all 6 waiver-free guys gives us $5,816,666, but leaves us with 5D. So I would think waiving either a goalie or someone like Armia would get it done with 20 players on the roster before we do all paper transactions if my math is right.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I think the cap situation will really be important in determining when and how Hughes makes his next trades. He needs to decide which way he is going to go with the Price LTIR and make sure he doesn't end up in no mans land.
If he's not picking up a ~5M$ cap dump from someone then he'll clearly keep Price on the active roster and play with paper transactions to get cap compliant before the season starts and then put Price on the LTIR as soon as the season starts.

That would maximize his dead cap.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
You are correct it appears we can. We need to remove no less than $5,171,666 by doing so. Demoting all 6 waiver-free guys gives us $5,816,666, but leaves us with 5D. So I would think waiving either a goalie or someone like Armia would get it done with 20 players on the roster before we do all paper transactions if my math is right.

Right now with -$5,171,666 of cap space they could:

Waive DeSmith - saving $1,150,000 in cap space
Send down RHP - saving $1,100,000
Send down Barron - saving $925,000

They can then do two paper transactions:

Send Harris to Laval - saving $1,150,000
Send Guhle to Laval - saving $863,333

This would put them $16,667 below the cap. They could then put Price on LTIR and bring Harris and Guhle back up for the 1st game.

Alternatively, instead of sending RHP down they could also waive Armia and use a paper transaction on Xhekaj, this would put them $31,667 below the cap.

They did something similar last year before putting Byron on LTIR:

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/10/10/canadiens-send-xhekaj-to-laval-to-maximize-ltir/#:~:text=By%20sending%20down%20Arber%20Xhekaj's,relief%20space%20before%205%20pm.

As a note I do expect Hughes will make another trade prior to the season starting, but they don’t have to to be cap compliant.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
So:
Hugues told Casey DeSmith not to worry, Hugues told Montembeault not to worry, not a word on Allen and Petry. Those bodies are packing before day 1 of the next season i guess. Worst case, we keep Petry but , would it be good for young defensmen's developpement ?
When did that happen - last I had seen was his agent stating no contact from Hughes earlier this week

Reactions: Milhouse40

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Habs apparently started calling teams on possible Petry trade 3-4 days prior to deal being officially announced

EquabaleAce

Nov 8, 2003
Calgary
Right now with -$5,171,666 of cap space they could:

Waive DeSmith - saving $1,150,000 in cap space
Send down RHP - saving $1,100,000
Send down Barron - saving $925,000

They can then do two paper transactions:

Send Harris to Laval - saving $1,150,000
Send Guhle to Laval - saving $863,333

This would put them $16,667 below the cap. They could then put Price on LTIR and bring Harris and Guhle back up for the 1st game.

Alternatively, instead of sending RHP down they could also waive Armia and use a paper transaction on Xhekaj, this would put them $31,667 below the cap.

They did something similar last year before putting Byron on LTIR:

https://montrealhockeynow.com/2022/10/10/canadiens-send-xhekaj-to-laval-to-maximize-ltir/#:~:text=By%20sending%20down%20Arber%20Xhekaj's,relief%20space%20before%205%20pm.

As a note I do expect Hughes will make another trade prior to the season starting, but they don’t have to to be cap compliant.
There is also the possibility that DeSmith gets claimed as well, creating more room, but, then a different player would have to go down to get us as close as possible to the cap to maximize LTIR space.
But, I see where you’re going with it, and I agree that there is probably a trade coming soon

Jul 6, 2016
Petry was bang on with his criticism of Quebec's insane restrictions. This discussion forum was particulalry risibile in embracing the nonsense shutdowns, curfews and mandates. I pretty much stopped visiting this forum. This is my first time looking here in a long time.
Do you have your mask on ? :sarcasm:

There is also the possibility that DeSmith gets claimed as well, creating more room, but, then a different player would have to go down to get us as close as possible to the cap to maximize LTIR space.
But, I see where you’re going with it, and I agree that there is probably a trade coming soon
Why waive DeSmith if Habs have the possibility of getting a pick or a young prospect for him ?

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I believe that if we are compliant at the deadline, then it is not necessary to "get as close to the line as possible".

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
What is going on with Petry? Any news or announcements?

I thought this was supposed to be the new era of transparency? Why are we being kept at dark?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad