Will Matthews Win The 2020 Rocket Richard?

Will Matthews win the 2020 Rocket Richard?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Very realistic

Matthews has the talent to do this quite easily, his thing has been injuries, and often times not looking right after them. So if he is healthy, he smashes this no problem, he is just that good.

Quite easily? Remind me how many people have gone 50/50 in the last 10 years.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
He wont get that few assists or that high goals. Add 20ish assists take off 7ish goals.

Predicting a 53 goal and 49 assist season

Honestly, I've watched the first three games and he hasn't even passed the puck.
Zero assists so far. I guess he could get 30-35 mainly PP assists.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Honestly, I've watched the first three games and he hasn't even passed the puck.

You're basing his assist totals on the first 3 games? I think he was close to 50% last year.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He is passing the puck but shots are not falling. Generated two breakaways (one for willy, one for kerfoot) and set nylander in the slot on a 5v5 shift against the sens. Plus he is using his defenders to get their point shot through as well. Has been unlucky he should have 2-3 assists right now. Plus even if he is shooting more right now he wont be able to sustain that level of play style. He will begin looking for passes once willy/johnsson get going and start converting chances.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
He needs to stay healthy but he should be up above 40 even if he misses 20 games

The Moose is Loose

Jun 28, 2017
St.Louis
Quite easily? Remind me how many people have gone 50/50 in the last 10 years.
Oh wait? It was only Draisaitl in the last 9? The same Draisaitl that leafs fan ruthlessly attack? Oh since he is so bad then it should be no problem for all of Marner, Matthews, and Tavares to reach that level.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Mcdavids career season in goals was 1 more than matthews got as a rookie straight out of the draft...he isnt winning the rocket richard

Hes a perennial 40 goal scorer and the best player in the game, something Matthews is not. To say he cant win a rocket isnt very smart.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'd give better odds to Ovechkin, McDavid, Kane, Crosby, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Tavares, and maybe a couple other players over Matthews, tbqh.

Reactions: BlueOil

Albi34

Feb 14, 2010
I predict he scores 48 in 75 games. Not enough for the rocket but maybe around 4th place.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Mcdavids career season in goals was 1 more than matthews got as a rookie straight out of the draft...he isnt winning the rocket richard
McDavid is more than capable of winning a Rocket. 40 goals per season is McDavid's floor and he creates significantly more high danger chances for himself than Matthews.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Matthews is historically a fast starter. We need to see more games to determine this. I would not say he is a lock. There are tougher teams coming up where his scoring will normalize. Regardless 5 goals 0 assists. If there was a Cy Young award for hockey players, he would be a favourite to win this.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
I'd give better odds to Ovechkin, McDavid, Kane, Crosby, MacKinnon, Stamkos, Tavares, and maybe a couple other players over Matthews, tbqh.

Sorry but almost none of those players have outscored Matthews since he’s entered the league.

Full season(1):

Crosby tied him

Injury shortened seasons(2 and 3):

OV beat him in both, McD beat him in both, MacKinnon beat him in both, Kane beat him in one, Stamkos beat him in one, Tavares beat him in 1.

However, in those 2 injury shortened seasons he was pacing for 45 goals in both. Only Tavares would’ve beat him legitimately in one year and OV would’ve beat him in both. Stamkos would’ve tied him in one.

So you’re best bets are OV(beat him 2/3), Tavares(beat him 1/3), and Stamkos/Crosby(tied him 1/3).

Can’t wait to get lit up for talking about Matthews’ pace... but if you think he’s going to play the year those are the facts. He should be very close to the top.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
Well Ovechkin is a better goal scorer in my opinion and basically doesnt miss hockey games. We're not comparing if hes better than any of those guys, were asking if hell win the Richard. He wont if he misses games like hes made a habit out of so far in his career

If you look at the poll results and my subsequent post you'll see that I actually agree and took the field rather than matthews. Just seems like a double standard exists w a few guy /always comes w a qualification.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I see him slowing down goal scoring wise but overall, he keeps up point pace. 50-50 is definitely possible. Looks like a different player compared to last year. He's scoring similar to the beginning of last season, but he's generating a lot more compared to how everything looked like it was going in for him during the first 7 games of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad