Will Matthews Win The 2020 Rocket Richard?

Will Matthews win the 2020 Rocket Richard?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So? Since when did 5v5 become the measuring stick of a player? Seems like the only ones who focus on that stat are those pushing Matthews. The rest use goals as the measuring stick which is why the Rocket is for the most goals not the most 5v5 goals per game.

It's the most difficult usage and where the majority of icefime is played.

Most of the top scorers tend to play on 1st pp units that get the lions share of icetimw where the Leafs have mostly ran balanced units which limits opportunity.

Ignore context of production all you want, but it will lead to flawed conclusions.

The fact that Matthew's is going to be a strong contender for the rocket despite these limitations is even more telling of his goal scoring prowess.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mitchy

ijuka

May 14, 2016
I don't think Matthews will score more goals than Leon Draisaitl.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Most of the top scorers tend to play on 1st pp units that get the lions share of icetimw where the Leafs have mostly ran balanced units which limits opportunity.

Ignore context of production all you want, but it will lead to flawed conclusions.

The fact that Matthew's is going to be a strong contender for the rocket despite these limitations is even more tellibgbof his goal scoring prowess.

So would you agree that Roope Hintz is off to a better start than Matthews since Hintz also has 3 goals at 5on5 while playing less minutes per game?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
So would you agree that Roope Hintz is off to a better start than Matthews since Hintz also has 3 goals at 5on5 while playing less minutes per game?

Sample size.

Matthew's 5v5 scoring prowess is evident by the last three seasons, not just his last three games ;)

Last edited:

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm still trying to comprehend how warped a person's view of hockey is to think Matthew's isnt even going to be a leading contender for this.

Wonder if if has anything to do with his uniform

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sample size.

Matthew's 5v5 scoring prowess is evident by the last three seasons, notnjust hisnlast three games ;)

I'm not asking if Hintz is a better goal scorer than Matthews. I'm simply asking if you agree that Hintz is off to a better start.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC

The fact that Matthew's is going to be a strong contender for the rocket despite these limitations is even more telling of his goal scoring prowess.
I disagree. A goal is a goal is a goal.
There is no need to cherry pick stats to say Matthews is a good goal scorer. He needs to win a Rocket to prove he is up with the best.
That’s what the good ones do. No one really cares about goals per game at even strength. It’s goals that count.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You almost always have to take the field when you get asked these questions based on odds.

With that said, I find it funny the narrative is he scores all his goals in October and sucks everywhere else. He's been on of the most consistent goal scorers in the league since he came in, and has paced for mid 40's as the floor for goals every year besides his rookie year.

Anyone who watches the player should have no problem thinking he absolutely can win the rocket. His shot is top of the league and he's damn good. Of course he has to stay healthy to do it.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If Matthews has 120 point potential (lol), like some on the Leafs board claim, he should be getting 60 goals.

At least.

Matthews is a better prospect than Kucherov was.
Kucherov hit 128 points.
Logic states - Matthews's potential should start at 129 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad