Will Matthews Win The 2020 Rocket Richard?

Will Matthews win the 2020 Rocket Richard?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Safe bet is no. You should’ve done a mass poll to see who the actual favourite is.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
As I say every year, I'm not betting against Ovechkin until he's retired.

Yes, Matthews has been hot to start. Yes, the power play looks fantastic.

This mirrors last season. Matthews eventually slowed down (and also got hurt), the power play was eventually figured out by other teams. I won't get my hopes up, but would be happy to be wrong.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
And the dead puck era 2.0 occurred after the lockout forcing more rule changes which led to the rapid rise in scoring the past three seasons
There was no "dead puck era 2.0", and that's not what was originally said. Ovechkin played through the highest scoring seasons of the last couple decades. While scoring did dip for a while, that was largely due to PP opportunities dropping, but Ovechkin has always been among the league leaders in PP time throughout his career, meaning he felt the effects of this the least and had a significant advantage over his peers.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Yes, I've said before he will have 61 goals. 26 assists.

What? LOL

He had 37 assists in an injury shorted 68 games last year, many which he didn't look himself after the injuries, with plugs on his line as finishers many times (Plugs as in not 1st line material)

If Healthy he should have 50 assists and 50-55 goals.

Why the heck would you think he would regress?

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
That might be enough to win it anyway. Ovi has won with 49 and 51 in the past two seasons. Crosby did it with 44.

My money is always on Ovi until proven otherwise.
Would be surprised if right around that mark isn't good enough again. Would also be surprised if Matthews isn't in the conversation at the very least.

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
He always starts fast and these threads pop up. He'll be right up there, might even win it but if I have to bet money I'm betting no because he hasnt been able to put together full, healthy seasons.

Smart money is on Anthony Mantha

Everyone seems to forget/overlook the fact that Matthews played 82 as a rookie......I believe he's been healthier than McDavid through their respective first 3 seasons, yet is rarely mentioned. To be clear I'm not comparing the 2, McDavid is clearly the better player, but there seems to be a narrative that rarely get touched upon. Crosby and Barkov are also guys that missed significant time early in their careers are they still viewed as huge risks in this regard?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Can't bet against OV. But wouldn't be at all surprised if it's Auston who wins.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Ov was voted overwhelming favorite before season

Its hilarious to see Matthews getting so many votes after 3 games. Its not that he's not a contender - its just that 3 games shouldnt be enough to sway anyone

Bob Barker

Jun 2, 2008
He’s a strong candidate, but I’ll still take the field when this question is posed as it is here.

Depends if we go by the wording in the title or OP. Will he? Agreed, I'd take the field. But CAN he? Yes of course he has a shot.

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
What? LOL

He had 37 assists in an injury shorted 68 games last year, many which he didn't look himself after the injuries, with plugs on his line as finishers many times (Plugs as in not 1st line material)

If Healthy he should have 50 assists and 50-55 goals.

Why the heck would you think he would regress?

I find it interesting that you think that Matthews would put up 30 additional points in 14 more games. That is not very realistic is it?

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I find it interesting that you think that Matthews would put up 30 additional points in 14 more games. That is not very realistic is it?

Why not player often have breakouts at age 22.

Nathan MacKinnon had 34 more points in 8 less games from age 21 to 22.

Entirely realistic.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

razkaz

Oct 3, 2013
Will he? I don't know.
Can he? If he stays healthy he's going to make it close.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Everyone seems to forget/overlook the fact that Matthews played 82 as a rookie......I believe he's been healthier than McDavid through their respective first 3 seasons, yet is rarely mentioned. To be clear I'm not comparing the 2, McDavid is clearly the better player, but there seems to be a narrative that rarely get touched upon. Crosby and Barkov are also guys that missed significant time early in their careers are they still viewed as huge risks in this regard?

Well Ovechkin is a better goal scorer in my opinion and basically doesnt miss hockey games. We're not comparing if hes better than any of those guys, were asking if hell win the Richard. He wont if he misses games like hes made a habit out of so far in his career

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Very realistic

Matthews has the talent to do this quite easily, his thing has been injuries, and often times not looking right after them. So if he is healthy, he smashes this no problem, he is just that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad