Will Matthews Win The 2020 Rocket Richard?

Will Matthews win the 2020 Rocket Richard?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Sorry but almost none of those players have outscored Matthews since he’s entered the league.

Full season(1):

Crosby tied him

Injury shortened seasons(2 and 3):

OV beat him in both, McD beat him in both, MacKinnon beat him in both, Kane beat him in one, Stamkos beat him in one, Tavares beat him in 1.

However, in those 2 injury shortened seasons he was pacing for 45 goals in both. Only Tavares would’ve beat him legitimately in one year and OV would’ve beat him in both. Stamkos would’ve tied him in one.

So you’re best bets are OV(beat him 2/3), Tavares(beat him 1/3), and Stamkos/Crosby(tied him 1/3).

Can’t wait to get lit up for talking about Matthews’ pace... but if you think he’s going to play the year those are the facts. He should be very close to the top.

What do you mean Crosby tied him? Crosby beat him by 4 goals AND played less games, so you can't even use the "if Matthews didn't miss games" thing that season.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
What do you mean Crosby tied him? Crosby beat him by 4 goals AND played less games, so you can't even use the "if Matthews didn't miss games" thing that season.

My mistake, Matthews was tied for 2nd and I thought it was with Crosby. My point stands.

Him and OV are the best shots.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
And? Doesn't change the fact that the correlation between ice time and production increasing isn't linear.

Also, I'll take everything else McDavid does significantly better over Matthews having a slight advantage with G/60 ES.

Not just G/60 but total 5v5 goals too (since Matthew's entered the league) -something even more glaring given Matthew's time missed due to injuries.

The point is hes a better goal scorer than McDavid. Which shouldn't be terribly controversial given McDavids playmaking reputation

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
My mistake, Matthews was tied for 2nd and I thought it was with Crosby. My point stands.

Him and OV are the best shots.

Laine also beat him in GPG in their rookie year. If we are taking injuries in to account, then Matthews doesn't end up 2nd in goals but 5th since Sid, Such, Stammer and Laine had him beat in GPG. He does end up 2nd in his sophomore season though. And 7th last season.

Hustlr

Oct 1, 2019
Laine also beat him in GPG in their rookie year. If we are taking injuries in to account, then Matthews doesn't end up 2nd in goals but 5th since Sid, Such, Stammer and Laine had him beat in GPG. He does end up 2nd in his sophomore season though. And 7th last season.

I was only talking about the players he quoted.

do you have the combined projected stats for all 3 years so we can see the long term safe(minus injuries, i hate injuries) bet?

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I was only talking about the players he quoted.

do you have the combined projected stats for all 3 years so we can see the long term safe(minus injuries, i hate injuries) bet?

Not at hand, but I'm fairly certain that over 3 years Ov is 1st and Auston 2nd.

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
Nope
Every year there are players that get off to really hot starts and every year the consistency of Ovi catches up to them and he blows right by…

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Not just G/60 but total 5v5 goals too (since Matthew's entered the league) -something even more glaring given Matthew's time missed due to injuries.

The point is hes a better goal scorer than McDavid. Which shouldn't be terribly controversial given McDavids playmaking reputation

Is he really though? I bet McDavid out scores him once again this season, and many more to come.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

COHawk

Sep 16, 2015
NHL Network said it that he (DeBrincat) would win it - we can all trust on that wizard fella, who ever he might of been...we will never know...
For what it is worth they both had the same preseason odds to win it at 16/1.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Nothing against Matthews, but I'd rather take the field in this case. One injury or one really long cold streak can end it for any player. But, he has as good a chance as any other player.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Lol! Hot takes after 4 games. I think he’ll be top 3 or 4 if he stays healthy.
But I’d still take Ovechkin over him. The Rocket isn’t decided after the first few games.

4 years more than 4 games. He always starts strong, that's not new, but i think it's his track record as a goal-scorer that he's starting to build that makes him one of the favorites.

I agree about taking Ovechkin first (but that's always risky, as he's yet again 1 year older, and at some point he has to slow down) - and you definitely take the field over Matthews for Rocket - but I might have him as my #2 favorite. It's close among a few players, but he's up there.

Reactions: Sundinisagod
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad