Will Matthews surpass his career highs of 40g and 69pts this season?

Will Matthews surpass his career highs of 40g and 69pts this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think he's elite defensively, not related to his PK work, but his anticipation and back-checking. He leads the team in takeaways by far, but just watching how smart he is without the puck, it really stands out.

he is good, don't get me wrong. I really don't see elite defensively though. I don't think he will ever get close to a selke that's what I consider elite. Trophies being in reach is what I would consider elite, so art ross? yes he is elite offensively he has the ability. He tries really hard which is great but he gets drawn out of position a lot.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
he is good, don't get me wrong. I really don't see elite defensively though. I don't think he will ever get close to a selke that's what I consider elite. Trophies being in reach is what I would consider elite, so art ross? yes he is elite offensively he has the ability. He tries really hard which is great but he gets drawn out of position a lot.

I don't consider Selke candidacy relevant. It's all based on reputation. Bergeron is going to win it again this year and for a few more years, then they'll pick someone else to give it to repeatedly, and so on. Only 6 different guys have won the award since 2004.

Edit: I just thought... Barkov is the next one obviously. I'll bet money he win 3 of the next 4 Selkes.

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I don't consider Selke candidacy relevant. It's all based on reputation. Bergeron is going to win it again this year and for a few more years, then they'll pick someone else to give it to repeatedly, and so on.

that's a fair point, either way I just wouldn't call him elite. He makes a lot of mistakes, and can be drawn out chasing the puck a lot. Again he is good one of our better forwards defensively just wouldn't say elite

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
And when you factor league scoring he is stagnating.

I estimated about 20% scoring over the past 2 years.

69 x 1.10 = 76
82 x 1.10 = 90

That's some dirty math that roughly resembles the increase in scoring over the past two years. You can look at the top 100 or so players over the past 6 years to confirm.

I am just saying it's not as impressive as you think.

Matthews PPG ranking by season

1st: 29th
2nd: 22nd
3rd: 17th

Stagnating? Seems like the opposite actually, steady improvement

Also lol at "estimating" facts that are easily available. It's not "dirty math," that's just making things up.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Also lol at "estimating" facts that are easily available. It's not "dirty math," that's just making things up.

Look if you want to take the top 100 or so players and look at production, you'll see it's up. It is what it is. PPP did an article about the Matthews overpay that touched on it. Production is up and you can discount his first year but 22 to 17 is a normal swing.

McDavid prior to changes had 100pts. That was the highest total from the last CBA on. This year we have 120 pts players, 20%. Point is scoring is up well over 10% and that matters.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Matthews is definitely on the more streaky side of the top goal scorers while Tavaras is much less streaky.

This is a pretty wild misnomer around these parts, Matthews is about as consistent as they come for goal scorers, he generally doesn't rack up multi goal games. I'd say he's more consistent then Tavares(certainly looking at their careers) despite Matthews having dry stretches this year, he hasn't had an elite linemate with him all year to avoid any bumps in the road in quite the same way. But Matthews is only a streaky goal scorer the same way every goal scorer is streaky, he is probably a top 3 consistent goal scorer in the league.

Reactions: saffronleaf

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
I really thought he would turn on the jets like he has during his various white-hot streaks. Hopefully he will have another gear in the playoffs because he doesn't look like close to an $11M player right now. Still hurt? A 75 point season doesn't cut it.

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
This is a pretty wild misnomer around these parts, Matthews is about as consistent as they come for goal scorers, he generally doesn't rack up multi goal games. I'd say he's more consistent then Tavares(certainly looking at their careers) despite Matthews having dry stretches this year, he hasn't had an elite linemate with him all year to avoid any bumps in the road in quite the same way. But Matthews is only a streaky goal scorer the same way every goal scorer is streaky, he is probably a top 3 consistent goal scorer in the league.
He's more streaky in the give a crap meter than he is at scoring. He still scores when he doesn't give a crap.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005

It would be beyond fantastic if he was okay with the 17th best salary. I want to negotiate anything with Kyle Dubas. I think a GM in Junior or the AHL has no experience with getting slapped around in negotiations. So now KD does but I feel he still deserves more slaps. Who is giving him advice? Out them buddy, because right now you look like an ATM machine and your players are lining up.

Matthews has 16pts in his first 7 games this year. What happened to that guy? He isn't dead and he was clearly the guy they were looking at in contract negotiations. Show up in Boston and all is forgotten.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I think he's elite defensively, not related to his PK work, but his anticipation and back-checking. He leads the team in takeaways by far, but just watching how smart he is without the puck, it really stands out.

But when he's off, he's very poor defensively. He looks like he's waiting for the puck to come to him to spring loose, or he resorts to the stick checking without the threat of laying the body, chases the play in lazy loops without picking up anyone, loses faceoffs and doesn't tie up his man, etc. Just not seeing the 'elite drive train' on a consistent basis.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I really thought he would turn on the jets like he has during his various white-hot streaks. Hopefully he will have another gear in the playoffs because he doesn't look like close to an $11M player right now. Still hurt? A 75 point season doesn't cut it.

What do you expect? More than 80 points despite missing ~15 games with injury? Your expectations are too high no need to pin that on matthews adjust your expectations. His ppg pace is 47 goals 92 points that is fantastic.

I get it though you need to whine all day, and the contract works for all the whiny little posters on here

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
That hit has scared him away from dangling and driving the net imho.
It would be beyond fantastic if he was okay with the 17th best salary. I want to negotiate anything with Kyle Dubas. I think a GM in Junior or the AHL has no experience with getting slapped around in negotiations. So now KD does but I feel he still deserves more slaps. Who is giving him advice? Out them buddy, because right now you look like an ATM machine and your players are lining up.

Matthews has 16pts in his first 7 games this year. What happened to that guy? He isn't dead and he was clearly the guy they were looking at in contract negotiations. Show up in Boston and all is forgotten.
That hit that put him out scared him away from driving the net imho. That's why he never dangles his way in anymore. Just a curl and drag safely form the faceoff dot.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Look if you want to take the top 100 or so players and look at production, you'll see it's up. It is what it is. PPP did an article about the Matthews overpay that touched on it. Production is up and you can discount his first year but 22 to 17 is a normal swing.

McDavid prior to changes had 100pts. That was the highest total from the last CBA on. This year we have 120 pts players, 20%. Point is scoring is up well over 10% and that matters.

Do you have the figures to back up that claim that league scoring is up that much? Because the numbers I looked at it is up just under 2% YoY and up 10% over the last 5 years. And TBH, scoring was higher in the mid 2000's than it is now.

I just keep hearing how much scoring has increased and I don't see it as significant. Its within the statistical variance of the past decade.

Reactions: willmma

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto

Totally agree, Dubas got pushed around on the Nylander deal and it’s continued there. Both the Nylander and Matthews deals are overpaid. Nylander should have been no more than 6.25, Matthews should have been around 10.5-11 on an 8 year deal. 5 year should have been around 8-8.5. Look at Drai, 100 point season, 77 and total beast leading the team to the second round two years ago. If it wasn’t for PC and his awful trades and signings (outside of Drai and McJesus) they would be a force.

We got Marner coming up who should be paid but will likely be jerked around.

Matthews better put up in the playoffs.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What do you expect? More than 80 points despite missing ~15 games with injury? Your expectations are too high no need to pin that on matthews adjust your expectations. His ppg pace is 47 goals 92 points that is fantastic.

I get it though you need to whine all day, and the contract works for all the whiny little posters on here
Or your expectations are too low. He is 17th in ppg. That can pass this year, but starting as soon as next season he needs to be a top 5 point producer. He needs to be in the cream of the crop for elite players in both goals and points.

Schooner

Sep 19, 2017
Do you have the figures to back up that claim that league scoring is up that much? Because the numbers I looked at it is up just under 2% YoY and up 10% over the last 5 years. And TBH, scoring was higher in the mid 2000's than it is now.

I just keep hearing how much scoring has increased and I don't see it as significant. Its within the statistical variance of the past decade.
How dare you bring actual stats into this conversation.

Reactions: mclaren55

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Pick the top ppg scorers for one on NHL.com and you will see 2012-2017 there always under 20 .90ppg players. Last season it doubled. This year I think it's at like 60. I can't get into right now but it's all there.

I am 100% confident you will find scoring is up around 20% amongst goal scorers. I used the top 100 players because it favors people with better shots mostly (reduced padding size). I am sure can also look at GF and GA for teams.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Pick the top ppg scorers for one on NHL.com and you will see 2012-2017 there always under 20 .90ppg players. Last season it doubled. This year I think it's at like 60. I can't get into right now but it's all there.

I am 100% confident you will find scoring is up around 20% amongst goal scorers. I used the top 100 players because it favors people with better shots mostly (reduced padding size). I am sure can also look at GF and GA for teams.
As of this morning there are 29 players at or over PPG

Jun 27, 2005

I've done the math for this season only and it's not close. Matthews gets goals in clumps and often gets multiple goals a game when scoring while Tavares rarely goes more than a few games without a goal. A very simple eye test is to look at their game logs.

Tavares has 7 multi goal games and streaks of 5,3,3,4,5 (greater than 3) of the longest streaks without. Matthews hs 9 multi goal games and has streaks of 5,3,5,7,6 without a goal and of course Tavares has played 14 more games. It's not close. This season Tavares is very consistent, Matthews is not.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
As of this morning there are 29 players at or over PPG

Yeah, in 2015 say, maybe 5? Pick a year. How many players over 100pts? Scoring is obviously up and still people question. I'm sure it's about 20% and the exact amounts mean little to me because I am not awarding contracts. If I were spending my money, sure.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Really sad that our players salaries have resulted in so much of the fan base to turn against our own players, and the best players we've had in YEARS.
I for one ****ing love this team.

we finally have the elite talent team we've all been waiting for. and they're just getting started.

and so much of the fanbase has already decided to hate them.

it's amazing.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Last 2yrs Even Strength:

Matthews 1.65g/60 (#1), 3.56p1/60 (#1), 3.03p/60 (#3 - trails only McDavid and Kucherov)

elite of elite of elite of elite.

and he's a leaf.

amazing.

yeah but, highest paid person in the history world when you factor in term and sprinkle some fairy dust on top (ie: when you make up your own narrative)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad