Will Matthews surpass his career highs of 40g and 69pts this season?

Will Matthews surpass his career highs of 40g and 69pts this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
He could get hot and get 10 more goals. He does need ten more points so he can be the most overpaid 70 pointer of all time on the main boards, so he has that to shoot for.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
He has 60 points now so hard to imagine he won't end with +70 with 16 games remaining as a PPG pace puts him at 76 on the season.

BlueStorm

Aug 14, 2010
Halifax
Dubas should have negotiated his contract after the playoffs. I have a feeling Matthews won’t top 3 points against Boston. I don’t see this team getting past any team that plays a physical game. I can’t remember them winning a physical game all year?

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Matthews is a streaky scorer. As he started the season with 12 goals in 12 games. He can easily score another 10 goals in the remaining 16 games. Just with those 10 goals he will surpass his 69 pt total.

My guess is 41 goals and 76 pts.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Vaive50

Dec 24, 2015
He could get hot and get 10 more goals. He does need ten more points so he can be the most overpaid 70 pointer of all time on the main boards, so he has that to shoot for.

Even though he is getting paid his ELC money this season. The whining should only start if he does the same next season. Matthews can easily generate 20 points in 16 games (for a total of 80 points in 68 games), he's done that many times before or even 10 goals in 16 games as he scored 10 goals in only 6 games at the start of the season.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Matthews is a streaky scorer. As he started the season with 12 goals in 12 games. He can easily score another 10 goals in the remaining 16 games. Just with those 10 goals he will surpass his 69 pt total.

My guess is 41 goals and 76 pts.

Matthews is actually a pretty consistent goal scorer. I mean obviously he's streaky to a point, but that's just because all goal scorers are.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Would have been really nice to crack 40g.

I imagine it'll be really close either way. Won't be surprised if I've underestimated him with my vote.

If he's able to do so, I think it'll be more impressive compared to his rookie season since he'll have accomplished the feat in fewer games.

Reactions: saffronleaf

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I think he will surpass 69 points but 40 goals is looking like a challenge.
I think in each of his last two seasons, Matthews has gone on a heater to end the year.

He's been goalless in the last 4 games, and has had some grade-A looks in each of them, even the islanders game. That's usually the precursor for any elite player to go on a hot-streak.

Reactions: saffronleaf

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
He's streaky indeed so anything is possible but the points seem like a given the goals 50/50. Leafs might rest players near end to and Babs doesn't care about stats that way so that might hurt him. Look forward to the playoffs though that's when it matters and Mathews has a lot to prove there yet.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Dubas should have negotiated his contract after the playoffs. I have a feeling Matthews won’t top 3 points against Boston. I don’t see this team getting past any team that plays a physical game. I can’t remember them winning a physical game all year?

Or since Tavares likely draws the Bergeron line and Chara, Matthews tears it up and becomes a playoff hero and we have to pay him more. Our team that took Boston to 7 games has only gotten stronger. Boston is a good team but it's a winnable series.

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
Here is a PPG graph for Matthews, showing the PPG level of his game streaks. Not the season PPG, but the PPG of every streak of consecutive games without missing games in betweeen due to injury.
Auston Matthews PPG graph in every game streak.png

His PPG in his current streak is 1,0227

He would have gotten about 83 points if he would've been healthy for the whole season.

At the current pace, he is going to get about 75 points this season. Quite good. So yes, he is going to go over 69 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->