Will Matthews surpass his career highs of 40g and 69pts this season?

Will Matthews surpass his career highs of 40g and 69pts this season?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jun 27, 2005
Matthews is actually a pretty consistent goal scorer. I mean obviously he's streaky to a point, but that's just because all goal scorers are.

Matthews is definitely on the more streaky side of the top goal scorers while Tavaras is much less streaky.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
His season will be judged on his playoff performance.
Agree.

As I have said many times, with that shot, and the Power Play Toronto has, unless injured, Matthews will be a Point Per Game player for the next 10 years.

What he does when the playoffs start is the litmus test for me.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Congrats to Matthews for surpassing his single season career high of 69pts.

With 36g and 5 games left, doubtful he can get surpass his single season career high of 40g.

Reactions: Tracer Bullet

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
On pace for a 47 goal, 92 point 82 game season, without Nylander for most of it

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hf can't say he's not a 70 point player anymore :(. Guess they'll just say he's not an 80 point player now.

it isn't surprising the main boards is a gross cesspool. I haven't been there in almost a year I think. The leaf player is always lucky they reached a milestone (ie: watch if JT gets 50 goals) while the often lesser player gets lauded ie: Barzal>Marner despite that islander team never crossing their defensive blueline, I said with a proper defensive structure Barzal wouldn't get 70 points at the end of last year. turns out I was right he possibly wont get 60 points, needs 1 point in 7 games so its likely but no gurantee

Reactions: saffronleaf

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
On pace for a 47 goal, 92 point 82 game season, without Nylander for most of it

92 points is not too special anymore. The changes increased scoring like 20%. That would make him a ppg player or sub ppg player 3 seasons ago. He is paid like a 1.4ppg player next season. I'll settle for 100-110pts though while anything less suggests he is grossly overpaid.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
92 points is not too special anymore. The changes increased scoring like 20%. That would make him a ppg player or sub ppg player 3 seasons ago. He is paid like a 1.4ppg player next season. I'll settle for 100-110pts though while anything less suggests he is grossly overpaid.

oh good, marner wont be getting paid because "the wave" says its not special. phew

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I think it's lunacy to pay Marner as much as Matthews or even 10+ mil. He is not worth more than Drai.

Agreed

But the wave has been going on and on about how great marner is, I just find it funny he basically just said mariners season isn’t anything special

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
I think it's lunacy to pay Marner as much as Matthews or even 10+ mil. He is not worth more than Drai.

the "he's not worth more than....." story means nothing. Or Willy would be making less than Pastrnak, and zillions of other examples.

Marner's an elite player at both ends of the ice, both special teams, he makes those around him better - he's the engine and spirit of this team IMO. In a stats-driven world, where comparables/agents/pressure points can mean so much, and Marner will get paid and will deserve it.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Internal cap matters. Why would Marner take less than 10m? Dubas screwed up man, nothing can change that.

eh, ask too much bye bye marner. It is easy to find wingers, unlikely at Marners level but at a reasonable price. Maybe a winger who can score 30 goals.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
the "he's not worth more than....." story means nothing. Or Willy would be making less than Pastrnak, and zillions of other examples.

Marner's an elite player at both ends of the ice, both special teams, he makes those around him better - he's the engine and spirit of this team IMO. In a stats-driven world, where comparables/agents/pressure points can mean so much, and Marner will get paid and will deserve it.

wish this narrative would die, he really isn’t that great defensively. being on the PK doesn't make a player elite defensively. 5 on 5 he and JT get in a lot of trouble defensively quite often.

Marner no JT never more than 70 points
Marner with JT ppg+,

yeah the elite center who has been ppg many years before marner played a game, yeah marner made him who he is. They help each other, some act like JT should be thanking his lucky stars.

Marner is decent defensively he is not close to elite, offensively no question he is elite

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

Yep, and he's going to get paid as such.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Yr1: 40gl/69pt pace
Yr2: 45gl/83pt pace
Yr3: 48gl/92pt pace

but he's been a bit snakebit the last little while....some bounces start going his way and he can finish hot, hit the 40gl mark, and end up around a 50gl/95pt pace on the year.

now imagine we were able to find him the extra minute per game of PP time that every other elite scorer gets.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Or they’ll say he won’t be a 70 point center until he does it more than once. Fret not my friend, they’ll find a way to tear him down, one way or another ;)

Never seen the main boards label Matthews anything but a star player, exactly the type of label someone of his pedigree and production is worthy of.

The issue is when you have certain posters desperately trying to equivocate him with McDavid.

That's when you have people giving out the reality checks.

lovemyleafs

Jan 23, 2017
Auston needs 5 goals in 5 games to set a new career high for goals. I think he does it. One of those games he'll score a hat-trick. A Matty hatty is loooong overdue.

Reactions: saffronleaf

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Yr1: 40gl/69pt pace
Yr2: 45gl/83pt pace
Yr3: 48gl/92pt pace

but he's been a bit snakebit the last little while....some bounces start going his way and he can finish hot, hit the 40gl mark, and end up around a 50gl/95pt pace on the year.

now imagine we were able to find him the extra minute per game of PP time that every other elite scorer gets.

And when you factor league scoring he is stagnating.

I estimated about 20% scoring over the past 2 years.

69 x 1.10 = 76
82 x 1.10 = 90

That's some dirty math that roughly resembles the increase in scoring over the past two years. You can look at the top 100 or so players over the past 6 years to confirm.

I am just saying it's not as impressive as you think.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

For a center in his 3rd year, it's very impressive.

Reactions: Walshy7

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
He surpassed last year's totals which is nice to see, and that was before last night so it would have been in the same amount of games as well. 5 goals and he'll pass all his numbers from his rookie season in less games. He has 5 games to do it. It's not impossible.

ninetyone

Jul 12, 2018
wish this narrative would die, he really is that great defensively. being on the PK doesn't make a player elite defensively. 5 on 5 he and JT get in a lot of trouble defensively quite often.

Marner no JT never more than 70 points
Marner with JT ppg+,

yeah the elite center who has been ppg many years before marner played a game, yeah marner made him who he is. They help each other, some act like JT should be thanking his lucky stars.

Marner is decent defensively he is not close to elite, offensively no question he is elite

I think he's elite defensively, not related to his PK work, but his anticipation and back-checking. He leads the team in takeaways by far, but just watching how smart he is without the puck, it really stands out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad