Player Discussion Will Lockwood

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Who cares, pedestrian numbers, if he doesn’t sign we aren’t missing out on anything we don’t have an abundance of already(3rd/4th line talent). Some of you people get way too emotionally attached to these dime a dozen players.

Reactions: mstad101

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't know why anyone would simply say "who cares" to Lockwood possibly bolting as a UFA. At the end of the day, I think he projects to be an NHL player in the Drake Caggiula mould. That's still a good young player and an asset. Now that doesn't mean that if he doesn't sign a contract this year he would become a UFA. The risk is just higher.

With that said, if Lockwood doesn't sign now, blaming management is just stupid. NCAA prospects who end up bolting as a UFA happens. Usually we hear about it as it involves a much higher profile prospect. Like others, there's been no indication that Lockwood is unwilling to sign at the end of the day. The Canucks drafted him pretty high relative to where he was expected to draft. There are opportunities for him on the roster. He will also have a teammate who is part of the organization.

As a Canucks fan I want him signed just to be safe and I am slightly worried. But whether to turn pro or stay in college is one of the biggest decisions in life and I respect that. As long as Lockwood isn't giving the Canucks the wrong signal (something the Predators said was what happened with Vessey) I am fine.

nuxnuxnux

May 15, 2011
Why is he worse than Motte? Similar production but Lockwood is a better skater and a bit bigger. Motte also played with better players
How is 56pts in 38gp and 31 pts in 35gp anywhere near similar production? He’s an inch taller and weighs less, and he’s not a better skater

Reactions: y2kcanucks

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
How is 56pts in 38gp and 31 pts in 35gp anywhere near similar production? He’s an inch taller and weighs less, and he’s not a better skater

Motte was riding shotgun with JT Compher (63pt), Kyle Connor (71PT), and Zach Werenski on D (36pt).

If you look at how Connor and Compher have done relative to Tyler Motte, I think it's pretty clear who was driving that line in college.

None of this is to say that Lockwood's production is impressive though, it's more that additional context is required when trying to make a case for Tyler Motte, who is not a player who should be on your roster or a guy you trade a veteran scorer at the deadline for.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
They put up similar numbers until Motte exploded in his 3rd season playing on a stacked line. I had a beer with Motte last summer, he is closer to 5’7 than 5’10. Haven’t met Lockwood but I think he projects to be larger

Reactions: Luckylarry

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Well, the decision didn't happen the week of March 17, and now we're near the end of the week of March 25.

1) Lockwood can't make up his mind.
2) Lockwood wants to play a game with the Canucks, and the Canucks want him to go to Utica, and there's a standoff.
3) Lockwood wants to play a game with the Canucks, and the Canucks are waiting to see what happens with one or two NCAA/European free agents before they make that commitment.
4) ?

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Well, the decision didn't happen the week of March 17, and now we're near the end of the week of March 25.

1) Lockwood can't make up his mind.
2) Lockwood wants to play a game with the Canucks, and the Canucks want him to go to Utica, and there's a standoff.
3) Lockwood wants to play a game with the Canucks, and the Canucks are waiting to see what happens with one or two NCAA/European free agents before they make that commitment.
4) ?

I heard Benning say he talked to Lovkwood’s representatives and let them know he wanted to sign Will, but for Utica. (I think this was stated during the Hughes’ signing presser.). I say your #2 is correct. Hopefully Benning has the correct feeling on Lockwood. It seems like he thinks the kid is not so important for our future to give in to burning a year of the ELC.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Guess this is done, Benning screwed it up it looks like. Too bad, thought Locky was a Lock

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City
Calm down shooter. All will be fine in the end

Inside info? Because at the moment, it doesn't look good. If he makes it past the end of the season without playing a game, he is so far down the depth chart that it doesn't make sense for him to sign.

Benning shouldn't bungle this, you can't lose assets, especially ones as good as Lockwood. He has the potential to be a very solid 2nd/3rd line winger who can chip in goals, and play up and down the lineup.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Inside info? Because at the moment, it doesn't look good. If he makes it past the end of the season without playing a game, he is so far down the depth chart that it doesn't make sense for him to sign.

Benning shouldn't bungle this, you can't lose assets, especially ones as good as Lockwood. He has the potential to be a very solid 2nd/3rd line winger who can chip in goals, and play up and down the lineup.
If he is so far down the depth chart on a bad team then he probably isn’t a concern/ worth signing. Imo opinion he is worth a contract. Both sides are silent. So they are likely waiting for something. I’m not concerned at all. I suspect he signs soon

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
If he is so far down the depth chart on a bad team then he probably isn’t a concern/ worth signing. Imo opinion he is worth a contract. Both sides are silent. So they are likely waiting for something. I’m not concerned at all. I suspect he signs soon
Shane Bowers just signed with the Avs. He’s going to the A. So elc starts next season.

Always interesting to see which guys get to burn and which don’t. Fabbro will burn but he’s a year out from whereas Bowers is 2 years out from ncaa free agency.

Timmer44

Mar 3, 2006
Van City

I hope you're right. But he's down the depth chart because of the current roster. Are you scratching Granlund to make room for him to get a game this season? Just because the Canucks are bad this year, doesn't mean you give up assets that potentially give them depth and trading pieces down the line.

Right now, on the right side up front you have:
Boeser
Eriksson
Granlund
Virtanen
Macewen
Jasek
Lind
Palmu

When Lockwood is ready for a full time role, Eriksson and Granlund will be gone. It'll be Boeser, Virtanen, and Lind/Lockwood/Jasek will be fighting over one spot.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is think the Canucks are trying to keep contract spaces open for more UFA signings or trades. Still a chance they could sign Lockwood after July 1st. And I see that Adam Fox is heading back to the Harvard for his senior season....currently paired with Rathbone.

I wonder if he signs with Carolina or goes the college UFA route next August?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I think he signs in the summer
Maybe they get a late round pick for him, which let's be honest, his production based on his age, doesn't make him a good prospect, a 5th~7th pick is fair

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
Who cares, pedestrian numbers, if he doesn’t sign we aren’t missing out on anything we don’t have an abundance of already(3rd/4th line talent). Some of you people get way too emotionally attached to these dime a dozen players.
Never had much love for this kid, sure he tried to play a big boy game, but he’s got a little boy body. He’s already had the same shoulder surgery as what has basically killed Ryan Kesler’s ability to shoot the puck, and Kesler is probably way better of a shooter.
All this does is further reaffirm that 2016 draft year is a complete and utter write off. Not a good look for Mr Draft Guru.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad