Speculation: Will Jokiharju start the year in Rockford?

Will Jokiharju start the year in Rockford?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Joker was good for us early last year, he went down, from what I read he took the demotion well, represented Finland international, won and played a big role doing so. This guy is a winner and will be a very very good Dman at some point for the hawks and it should be this year if JC had the balls to treat Seabrook for what he is a 7 million dollar 25 game player as the 7th D.

if the hawks could roll out the best D they could this year it would be

Keith-Gus
Maata-Joker
Dehaan-Murphy

That is boat loads better than last year and will only get better in coming years with Beaudin, Krys, Boqvist and hopefully Mitchel but I am concerned he is going to go the way of Kayes despite what he says...the D prospects must see that its getting crowded..

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I think it's dangerous to read too much into what Stan or any GM says publicly (a general statement, not just directed at you). 4K and Dahlstrom are 6th or 7th Dman who won't stand in the way if Joker is really ready. Maybe Stan wants to light a fire under Joker, maybe he wants to lower expectations for him so he doesn't press. It doesn't really matter.

I suspect Joker will have the opportunity to play his way on to the team out of camp, especially if De Haan is out to start the year. Competition is a good thing and the Hawks are in a position where they don't have to count on Joker this year, while also having a spot for him if he's ready. I think that's a good position to be in.

Spot on. Should be pinned at the top of the thread.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Joker should be on our NHL roster and was mishandled by our HC from moment he was hired

But sadly I suspect JC will not allow Joker to play for Hawks and will do his best to hold kid back

Joker will be in Rockford sadly

Reactions: KennyWharramPeace

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think it's dangerous to read too much into what Stan or any GM says publicly (a general statement, not just directed at you). 4K and Dahlstrom are 6th or 7th Dman who won't stand in the way if Joker is really ready. Maybe Stan wants to light a fire under Joker, maybe he wants to lower expectations for him so he doesn't press. It doesn't really matter.

I suspect Joker will have the opportunity to play his way on to the team out of camp, especially if De Haan is out to start the year. Competition is a good thing and the Hawks are in a position where they don't have to count on Joker this year, while also having a spot for him if he's ready. I think that's a good position to be in.

I think the bold hit the nail on the head. I doubt Joker starts the season in RFD but it's up to him... If he does end up back in RFD after a stint in Chicago it's not the big deal some are making it out to be.

As for K4 and Dahlstrom: both are unspectacular and TBH I wish they were better but every team needs at least one Dman who can effectively play the stay-at-home steady style. Hopefully one or both will be an asset going forward until the young Dmen in the system are ready to take over.

Last edited:
Reactions: RememberTheRoar

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
He's a **** stain on an otherwise awesome product. Their Hawks coverage leaves a TON to be desired. I used to like Powers, but the more I read him, the more I wonder if he even cares about his job. Powers is tolerable when his content is free, but when you're paying for it it is subpar at best.

That's a very harsh take. Best Hawks beat writer, by a country mile. Is he perfect? Who is? Yeah, Laz is a tool. But don't let that cloud the fact that Powers is VG.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
That's a very harsh take. Best Hawks beat writer, by a country mile. Is he perfect? Who is? Yeah, Laz is a tool. But don't let that cloud the fact that Powers is VG.
He isn't knowledgeable about hockey, the league in general and openly admits so in his chats. He's ok, but it isn't like the bar is very high. I can't find anyone else who covers a sport and has so little knowledge about it. I wonder if he even cares or is just doing it for a paycheck.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
He isn't knowledgeable about hockey, the league in general and openly admits so in his chats. He's ok, but it isn't like the bar is very high. I can't find anyone else who covers a sport and has so little knowledge about it. I wonder if he even cares or is just doing it for a paycheck.

For sure, the bar is low. Sadly (RIP 2 good sports sections). Point taken.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Wrong. Joker is not protected. The other 3 are, regardless of where they play this season.

I’m telling you guys, this shit should be stickied at the top of the board. People are confused over who is and isn’t eligible for the expansion draft.

I can make the thread if you guys think it will be helpful.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Remember, some of the biggest jumps in sports is from the first to second year ... and second to the third.

I expect Joker to be significantly better this year. The game should have slowed down for him somewhat.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Joker should be on our NHL roster and was mishandled by our HC from moment he was hired

But sadly I suspect JC will not allow Joker to play for Hawks and will do his best to hold kid back

Joker will be in Rockford sadly

What a ridiculous statement and shame on you KennyWharramPeace for liking it.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
If / when Jokiharju isn't necessarily playing in NHL next season why Blackhawks won't loan Jokiharju to SM liiga.
Playing against pro players in SM liiga could help Jokiharju's development in those areas where he needs improvement.

SM liiga is physical men's league and game in there is a bit different than AHL because ice and rink are bigger.
Playing 60 regular season games + 10-16 playoff games means 70-76 games against pro players so why not even consider that.

As a HIFK fan i know HIFK is looking defenceman in their liiga roster and Jokiharju has a contact in HIFK.
HIFK's GM Tobias Salmelainen was player agent before he came to HIFK and he was at least very close with Jokiharju.

I'm not sure was Salmelainen Jokiharju's agent but that i know Jokiharju is a North American client of ACME world sports agent office where Salmelainen worked.

So if i was Stan i could take phone call to Salmelainen and ask does HIFK has roster spot for Jokiharju.
HIFK is championship contender in SM liiga next season so if Jokiharju gets loaned to HIFK he would have good chance to have some success also and of course he would also get some EHT games in Team Finland.

Blackhawks prospect Niklas Nordgren plays also in HIFK so Jokiharju wouldn't be alone in Helsinki.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
If / when Jokiharju isn't necessarily playing in NHL next season why Blackhawks won't loan Jokiharju to SM liiga.
Playing against pro players in SM liiga could help Jokiharju's development in those areas where he needs improvement.

SM liiga is physical men's league and game in there is a bit different than AHL because ice and rink are bigger.
Playing 60 regular season games + 10-16 playoff games means 70-76 games against pro players so why not even consider that.

As a HIFK fan i know HIFK is looking defenceman in their liiga roster and Jokiharju has a contact in HIFK.
HIFK's GM Tobias Salmelainen was player agent before he came to HIFK and he was at least very close with Jokiharju.

I'm not sure was Salmelainen Jokiharju's agent but that i know Jokiharju is a North American client of ACME world sports agent office where Salmelainen worked.

So if i was Stan i could take phone call to Salmelainen and ask does HIFK has roster spot for Jokiharju.
HIFK is championship contender in SM liiga next season so if Jokiharju gets loaned to HIFK he would have good chance to have some success also and of course he would also get some EHT games in Team Finland.

Blackhawks prospect Niklas Nordgren plays also in HIFK so Jokiharju wouldn't be alone in Helsinki.

I don’t think it makes any sense for him to go play on bigger ice. A big reason why he was sent down was he didn’t have the physicality for the NHL. He will just shy away from this even more on big ice. If there are any injuries he will be the first to be called up so he should be in North America for this reason alone. Lastly he will have more future teammates in Rockford than just Nordgren with your option.

Reactions: Giovi and BobbyJet

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
H

He has to learn and improve on the NHL sized rink and in NA. It's either NHL or RFD for him.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Because the team would prefer him ninety miles away playing hockey on North American sized ice in the better of the two leagues.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Wrong. Joker is not protected. The other 3 are, regardless of where they play this season.
You misread my post and I worded it bad.

If everyone I listed but Joker skips this year they should be automatically protected.

I believe if Joker misses this coming year and the following year, he should be automatically protected

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad