Speculation: Will Jokiharju start the year in Rockford?

Will Jokiharju start the year in Rockford?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Honestly, I'm reaching a point if he's even being considered for our future period.

If that is the case the hawks are making a big mistake. Jokiharu is a winner, you need guys like him In your lineup. If seabrook plays over joker the entire front office should be fired.

All the respect for the 3 cups which got seabrook 7 million. Per and he should love that he got that but it’s time to face facts seabrook is toast, done, beyond terrible, a complete liability on the ice.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Why do we need Gus again?

We didn't have a defender of his offensive talents in 2015 and we won cup just fine? This idea we must have a PMD of his kind seems flawed to me if we can have a deep forward group , capable of rolling 3 pairings on D and strong goaltending

Our top 4 wont be as strong as it was in 2015 but our F depth and G could be as good if not better while our D unit would be deeper with or without Gus in comparison to 2015

Keith-Murphy
Maatta-Joker
Koekkoek-Seabrook (With CDH slotting in when healthy for Koekkoek)
Dahlstrom

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

We didn't have a defender of his offensive talents in 2015 and we won cup just fine? This idea we must have a PMD of his kind seems flawed to me if we can have a deep forward group , capable of rolling 3 pairings on D and strong goaltending

Our top 4 wont be as strong as it was in 2015 but our F depth and G could be as good if not better while our D unit would be deeper with or without Gus in comparison to 2015
you do know that back in 2015 Seabs was more than useful and handled much of our power play duties right??..Keith was 4 years younger and a top 5-10 dman in the game, and Hammer and Oduya..we didn't need a pure PMD when we had 3 guys that were pretty much #1 dmen most nights...Seabs being that guy that fluctuated the most...plus times have changed, the game is changing - skill from the point is what teams still covet.

Reactions: ClydeLee

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013

Keith-Murphy
Maatta-Joker
Koekkoek-Seabrook (With CDH slotting in when healthy for Koekkoek)
Dahlstrom

Keith and Seabrook aren't the same offensively anymore. They were beasts in 2014/15

And at this point we need to move salary and create cap space. So AA or Murphy should go. Not sure why you'd wanna keep Murphy over Gus...

Gus is important to next season, each season is important with the aging core, and though we eventually might need to trade him next summer we should utilize him while we can at his cheap cap hit.

Reactions: ClydeLee

migi

Feb 25, 2015
Well I still think Mitchell, Boqvist and Beaudin have higher ceilings than Joker but for me Joker is the safest bet to be NHLer.

So you play him. Like @BK said, I think he’ll be with Hawks next year.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I think he is up for the time that de Haan is out and that he sticks.

I do think that if it comes down to winning or playing Seabrook that they pick winning.

I would be shocked if they benched Seabrook like that. I think best case is they have him rotate like they did Rozsival a few years back. It wouldn't be a bad thing either to give guys like De Haan and Maatta games off with their injury history and just hope Seabrook holds his own. I would love for Colliton and company to prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
All rumors at this point... but to play devils advocate, what are the hawks seeing that they dont like about him? I loved him when he was paired with Keith.
Im not going to act like i watched a bunch of rockford games but from all accounts he played great there. Played a big role for finlands gold team.
Their whole distaste for joker is puzzling.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
All rumors at this point... but to play devils advocate, what are the hawks seeing that they dont like about him? I loved him when he was paired with Keith.
Im not going to act like i watched a bunch of rockford games but from all accounts he played great there. Played a big role for finlands gold team.
Their whole distaste for joker is puzzling.
He wasn't strong enough, his play got worse as season went on (expected from a young player like him to not hold up to the strong start) and he made some mistakes in his own zone. There is no rush, Hawks have better - more ready - D he can't replace. He is trying to hold his own and expecting more would be disaster waiting to happen.

He is better than Seabs, but not better than Gus or Murphy or Maatta or Keith or CDH

Reactions: Muffinalt

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
He wasn't strong enough, his play got worse as season went on (expected from a young player like him to not hold up to the strong start) and he made some mistakes in his own zone. There is no rush, Hawks have better - more ready - D he can't replace. He is trying to hold his own and expecting more would be disaster waiting to happen.

He is better than Seabs, but not better than Gus or Murphy or Maatta or Keith or CDH
I get that. I hope JC puts his balls on the table and scratches seabs 60 or so games to make room for Joker. But i just dont see it happening, Seabs carries too much weight in the locker room. Pun intended

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
From Laz mailbag article:

I don’t expect you to have a satisfying answer to this question, but what do you think the plan is for (Henri) Jokiharju? The Hawks seem to have him penciled in for Rockford this season, even though he’s already good enough to play a top-four role in the NHL. Do you think they’re just being excessively cautious with his development? Or has he fallen out of favor as a top prospect? — Luke S.

Let me start this by saying I don’t believe there’s any malicious intent behind Henri Jokiharju’s sudden and curious plummet down the organizational depth chart. I don’t believe the Blackhawks are actively shopping him, nor do I believe they really want to trade him. I do believe they’re not ruling it out, however. If Stan Bowman has shown us anything over the years, it’s that he views all prospects as assets, and that he’s perfectly willing to throw in a sweetener to get an unwanted contract off the books.

Me? I’d sure as hell rule it out. I saw enough out of Jokiharju last season to know he’s a legitimate top-four defenseman in the NHL right now, and a future top-pairing guy — which the Blackhawks desperately need in the present and the future. He has the skills, the smarts, the savvy and the self-possession to be a very good player for a very long time. And while the Blackhawks are loaded with promising defensive prospects, only Jokiharju has proven he can actually do it at the NHL level.

Honestly, I don’t know if there is a “plan” for Jokiharju. I think he’s a victim of circumstance, as much as anything. Bowman couldn’t in good conscience bring back the exact same blue line, but he didn’t have much roster flexibility, either. Seabrook’s contract is unmovable. Erik Gustafsson’s contract is too valuable. Connor Murphy has been the most reliable over the last two seasons, so moving him would be a lateral move. And you need guys like Carl Dahlstrom and Slater Koekkoek, who can be rotational players that don’t have to be in the lineup every night. Olli Maatta and Calvin de Haan make the blue line better. But they also box out Jokiharju.

The only plan I can see that would make sense is keeping Jokiharju in Rockford — I don’t agree with it, but he just turned 20 three weeks ago, so it’s hardly a crisis — until the trade deadline. That’s when the Blackhawks will be faced with a decision about Gustafsson. If Gustafsson’s still producing at a high level, he’s going to be due a massive new contract next summer, one the Blackhawks might not be able to afford with Alex DeBrincat and Dylan Strome up for new deals. So maybe you move Gustafsson at the deadline, and there’s your opening for Jokiharju. Of course, if you’re contending for a playoff spot (which I believe the Blackhawks will be) and Gustafsson is still lighting it up, how do you trade away your power-play quarterback before the stretch run? You can’t. So, uh, yeah. Back to where we began.

But, hey, injuries happen. Trades happen. Waivers happen. Last year, the Blackhawks used 12 defensemen. The year before that, 11. Before that, nine. Before that, 11. Before that, 12. You need more than six or seven guys. If he starts the season in Rockford, Jokiharju would be the first call-up if one of the top six went down (the last thing they want is for him to be a rotation guy; they want him playing every night, regardless of where he is).
So no, this is not a satisfying answer to your question, Luke. The truth is, I don’t know. And I’m not entirely sure the Blackhawks do, either.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
What? This is awful, I've not been anti stan st a move this bad since like the teuvo trade. I know he had that high in the draft potential but hadn't Alex been hugely disappointing?

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
What? This is awful, I've not been anti stan st a move this bad since like the teuvo trade. I know he had that high in the draft potential but hadn't Alex been hugely disappointing?

<-- Sabres fan.

Yes, Nylander has been disappointing. His development was botched from the beginning, when he was rushed into the AHL as an 18 year old. He's made some progress since then, though he's struggled to stay healthy over the past 2 seasons. Still, he's young and has a lot of skill. I wouldn't give up on him yet.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
So I guess all you people who voted "no" were right?

59819023.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad