Will Jack Eichel be a Sabre next season?

Will Jack Eichel be a Sabre next season?

• Total voters

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
A trade involving Eichel just seems risky all around.

Eichel has in no way justified his salary this season. Buffalo or not, a $10M player needs to have good results. Eichel's .1 GPG is putrid.

Buffalo's alleged asking price is huge - a complete mismatch from his recent production. Perhaps it ought to be this high but this is a barrier to a trade.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Favin

Jun 24, 2015
Toronto
I am usually of the view that stars usually stay.
But this fire has been burning too long.
He'll be elsewhere to start next year.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Would be cool if players could negotiate a type of opt out clause into their contracts. Like if a team doesn't make playoffs by a certain time of the contract the player can opt out and go to FA

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Yes.

DeShaun Watson is a great example of why the team holds all of the cards (the good ones at least). The Texans let it be know that you if you want Watson, the starting point was 2 first rounders, 2 second rounder, and 2 prospects.

If Eichel asks for a trade, I can see the Sabres letting Jack know that is his right but it is their right to ask for what they see is a fair return, and similarly asking for an astronomical return that few teams can afford. And that if their demands aren't met that he can either suit up or sit out and not get paid.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There will be a number of teams that give Buffalo what they want.
Too good of an opportunity. I'm thinking that the teams that missed out on PLD will be lining up with mega offers for the guy.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
That's up to Jack not Buffalo. And I think Eichel's already planning his exit

Kaner9

Nov 10, 2019
NJ
I voted no because I hope for Eichels sake that he gets the hell outta there. Buffalo will make someone pay bank tho.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
That's up to Jack not Buffalo. And I think Eichel's already planning his exit

Thats completely backwards, hes under contract for 5 years, Buffalo holds all the cards. He can sit out a few years if he wants, lose out on $10 million a season and watch his contract slide, but he has no control other than where he won't go after next season.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
A trade involving Eichel just seems risky all around.

Eichel has in no way justified his salary this season. Buffalo or not, a $10M player needs to have good results. Eichel's .1 GPG is putrid.

Buffalo's alleged asking price is huge - a complete mismatch from his recent production. Perhaps it ought to be this high but this is a barrier to a trade.
This season as bad as it's been doesn't all of a sudden make his value nosedive IMO.
I think if both parties decide to move on teams will pony up for him and there will be a bunch of teams to drive up the price.
I get how it works here on HF, people prefer the drama and negativity reigns and nothing beats the lure of draft picks and unproven shiny trinkets.
But the fact is there are only a handful of teams with a legit 1c, there are even fewer that have one of Jacks calibre.
How many drafts are a elite 1c available? How many of those actually live up to the hype?
Thankfully my team got lucky and nabbed one that looks to be a keeper but I look around at the Habs, the Flames, the Wild, Jackets, Preds, etc etc etc and no matter the pieces they have they're all missing a 1c and teams that win cups no matter the make up of the team almost always have a 1c.
So if a guy like Jack becomes available and the ask is 4 firsts someones gonna pay it because unless those firsts are top 2 every year, there's a good chance you ain't getting one and if that's the one piece your team needs it doesn't get much better than Jack signed longterm just hitting his prime.
Plus you gotta remember a GM who has a team in their window most likely isn't worried about draft picks 3-4 years down the road when chances are he's already gone by then if the team hasn't won yet.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
he's not going anywhere. He will stay with the team, and move forward.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Only if he demands a trade. Buffalo would be dumb to move on from him otherwise, no team will pay what he's worth to Buffalo.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Yes.

DeShaun Watson is a great example of why the team holds all of the cards (the good ones at least). The Texans let it be know that you if you want Watson, the starting point was 2 first rounders, 2 second rounder, and 2 prospects.

If Eichel asks for a trade, I can see the Sabres letting Jack know that is his right but it is their right to ask for what they see is a fair return, and similarly asking for an astronomical return that few teams can afford. And that if their demands aren't met that he can either suit up or sit out and not get paid.

coronavirus-marion-prison-ohio_wide-a000a3dfe087d0f1b6ecfdfcdc32bac00c0ddbf0.png

Cant wait to see Watson throwing dimes in this stadium

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
It’s hard to say. They don’t want his contract to become a NMC where they lose all the leverage if they do decide in a couple years it’s time for a full rebuild. I think it gets done after the season before the draft.

LaMasquerade

Mar 11, 2018
Tampere
Would be cool if players could negotiate a type of opt out clause into their contracts. Like if a team doesn't make playoffs by a certain time of the contract the player can opt out and go to FA

So, everyone who can get contract from somewhere else would leave bad team.. Isn't it the players who should make the team make playoffs?

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
So, everyone who can get contract from somewhere else would leave bad team.. Isn't it the players who should make the team make playoffs?
It would be something negotiated into a contract. If you give it to everyone that's your own fault like an NMC. Just a way players can take some control of their own career and maybe you see more players take a chance on wildcard teams vs taking discounts to go to contenders.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't know what the answer is for Buffalo. It just seems like they need a big change, and it isn't going to be Dahlin on the chopping block. By default, I think Eichel is gone. Nashville and Calgary should be all over it.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
It would be something negotiated into a contract. If you give it to everyone that's your own fault like an NMC. Just a way players can take some control of their own career and maybe you see more players take a chance on wildcard teams vs taking discounts to go to contenders.

I’ll sign up for that the second players start losing money for not making the playoffs.

Fair is fair.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I reckon Yes.

Buffalo lose that trade 9 times out of 10. Nobody's giving back assets that will make Buffalo as good today because whoever trades for him wants to win now. They might give enough to start a whole new rebuild there but that can't be what they want either. Unless they get a once in a blue moon offer, their plan should be to keep piling the high picks around Eichel, get a coach who's not awful, and try to start signing the right depth.

Only way that changes is if Eichel really, really pushes hard to get out. Like sitting games out. I don't know if he's willing to go there. If he's making those noises, maybe Buffalo ask for more one season and they'll honour a trade request before next draft if that season doesn't change his mind.

So I think he'll do one more season. All bets are off after that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad