Speculation: Will interest in the Canucks continue to decline this year?

TheHockeyNerds

Jul 5, 2015
Case in point, our roster...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Prust - Vey - Dorsett
Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Weber
Clendening, Corrado

Miller
Markstrom
----

Just wanted to point out that Sbisa plays the left Side, So Clendening, Corrado, Bartkowski, and Weber will all be fighting for the two open spots on the right side.

jrlp

Jan 30, 2008
Vancouver
Will interest in the Canucks continue to decline this year?

-Don't see us making a huge splash during free agency. Same old core members.

-Lots of players we have signed 'Dorsett, Sbisa, Clendening, Weber' don't have an emotional attachment to the fas like Burr, Sedins, BXA (not a bad thing). They're uninteresting.

-Only a few picks this up coming draft.

- Losing to the Flames in the playoffs has further soured fans?

What do you guys think?

On the OQ -

Will interest in the Canucks continue to decline this year?

Nope, not mine! Got no time for that!

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
It's kind of refreshing to see another team's fans comment on some of the thought processes of our fans. This offseason has felt like the Canucks board kicked the "bat-**** crazy" into overdrive. Have you seen the Fire Benning avatars floating around? They're calling for his head because he got below market value on two trades.

Never mind the fact we just made the playoffs -- no, they say that's the opposite of what we should be doing, we should be losing as much as possible to build a good team in the future! Playoffs are for chumps when you don't have an extremely good chance at winning it all!

But, alas, we'll make the playoffs next year, likely lose in round 1 or 2 like 75% of the teams do, and the boards will be more blazing than the wildfires ravaging our province right now.

The difference is, though, when the Canucks actually become "that" bad, when we inevitably revert to the perennial cellar dwellers, when the Sedins finally leave the team and stop carrying it on their backs, there won't be many fans left to ruminate in the ashes. The fair-weather nature of the fan base dictates the ebb and flow of interest. It's not something I'll be able to explain to you (because I will never be able to fathom it myself), but I can at least validate your observations.

Well, when that time comes I'll still be here, because I bleed this team until I die, but you bet your ass people are jumping ship already. And when the Canucks can't sell out games, when the ticket prices wither, when the suits and tourists just aren't interested in the lower bowl, I'll be the one going to all the cheap games in great seats with plenty of room for my elbows and feet, with friends and family in tow.

some posters do not understand my question or just do not see Vancouver has some very good pieces and that is why this thread confuses non canuck fans

Sedins are still productive, you do have some very interesting prospects (Jake Virtanen, Jared McCann, Bo Horvat, and Hunter Shinkaruk--yes I know the jury is out on Hunter Shinkaruk but some reports I have read say he will be a solid top 6 guy) and you guys have quietly gathered some guys from other organizations that while not all may world beaters--some could be surprising--three guys who guys got that are sleepers are Frankie Corrado, Adam Clendening, and Sven Baertschi. A buddy of mine who is die hard Hawks fans was pissed the hawks traded Clendening. A few kings fans I know compare Linden Vey to Shawn Horcoff of the oilers. Unlike many teams that after a 7 year run the canucks had had nothing in the cupboard--the Canucks via the Scheider trade and Kesler trade. While it may not look right now--but most outsiders are looking at Horvat and Virtan as your top line when the Sedins finally slow down and those two guys are going to be world killers (IMO)--you all got a good coach and still got the pieces to cause some damage and I have vancouver as being a team to watch this fall to win more games then fan think

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
some posters do not understand my question or just do not see Vancouver has some very good pieces and that is why this thread confuses non canuck fans

Sedins are still productive, you do have some very interesting prospects (Jake Virtanen, Jared McCann, Bo Horvat, and Hunter Shinkaruk--yes I know the jury is out on Hunter Shinkaruk but some reports I have read say he will be a solid top 6 guy) and you guys have quietly gathered some guys from other organizations that while not all may world beaters--some could be surprising--three guys who guys got that are sleepers are Frankie Corrado, Adam Clendening, and Sven Baertschi. A buddy of mine who is die hard Hawks fans was pissed the hawks traded Clendening. A few kings fans I know compare Linden Vey to Shawn Horcoff of the oilers. Unlike many teams that after a 7 year run the canucks had had nothing in the cupboard--the Canucks via the Scheider trade and Kesler trade. While it may not look right now--but most outsiders are looking at Horvat and Virtan as your top line when the Sedins finally slow down and those two guys are going to be world killers (IMO)--you all got a good coach and still got the pieces to cause some damage and I have vancouver as being a team to watch this fall to win more games then fan think

The problem is we are looking at a team that keeps making moves that in the now make us a much worse team. We have less cap space, are weaker in goal, forward, and on defence, and have an older team than we did last year. we are directionless. Meanwhile we are trading draft picks, and young guys, so we are not even getting better in the future.

sandwichbird2023

Aug 4, 2004
I can't speak for others but my interest in the team is definitely on the decline. I start watching hockey in 95 and was immediately a die hard fan, even during the keenan-messier era. Almost never missed a game on tv and always listen to the games on the radio when the game isn't on TV. Never have I felt so hopeless for the teams future. I blame it on maturing and my increase in understanding of the game, I just can't be a blind fan-boy when I think the GM is destroying the team. I have find ways to keep cable just to watch the canucks the last couple years, but I find myself being ok with cutting the cord for the upcoming season. I know some will call me a bandwagon fan, but I feel very disconnected to the team now and the passion just isn't there for now. I hope the management team will be replaced soon so I can feel excited about the team again.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The problem is we are looking at a team that keeps making moves that in the now make us a much worse team. We have less cap space, are weaker in goal, forward, and on defence, and have an older team than we did last year. we are directionless. Meanwhile we are trading draft picks, and young guys, so we are not even getting better in the future.

the one contract I do not like on the Canucks is Vrbata--I could play wing with the twins and get 30 goals. I know some of you do not like Miller--I think he will rebound this year.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
the one contract I do not like on the Canucks is Vrbata--I could play wing with the twins and get 30 goals. I know some of you do not like Miller--I think he will rebound this year.

You really don't follow us then, 5 mill tied up in our fourth line, 3.6 tied up in a at best 6th dman as mentioned the miller contract.

Vrbrata is a freaking steel. He also didn't play a full season with the twins. He was our second line.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
You really don't follow us then, 5 mill tied up in our fourth line, 3.6 tied up in a at best 6th dman as mentioned the miller contract.

Vrbrata is a freaking steel. He also didn't play a full season with the twins. He was our second line.

He was actually a Canucks fan until recently.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver
We hate change and I think some of us are just not ready for the fact we soon wont have the two Swedes around for very much longer and are not prepared for a guy named BO to be our new leader

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
We hate change

Is that why many are looking for more youth in the lineup?

I think some of us are just not ready for the fact we soon wont have the two Swedes around for very much longer

The Sedins barely even come up in conversation. Whether people think they should retire Canucks or they should be traded for a chance at a Cup elsewhere with some more futures incoming, everybody seems fine with the fact that their careers are on the downswing.

are not prepared for a guy named BO to be our new leader

He remains to be one of the few reasons to actually watch this team.

:shakehead :help:

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
We hate change and I think some of us are just not ready for the fact we soon wont have the two Swedes around for very much longer and are not prepared for a guy named BO to be our new leader

We want change.
Most of us here are ready to tear it up...
Especially after that first round debacle to the Flames.
Benning and the ownership are the one that resists...
Because they still want to make the playoffs every year.
:shakehead

Ho Borvat

Sep 29, 2009
Its funny, there were 3 Canucks players whose jerseys I would have bought.

- Lack
- Kassian
- Horvat

Horvat mayyyyy become an elite/franchise player but outside of that theres not a lot to be excited about realistically.

The Jesus*

All my hate for management almost made me forget about 1-2-3-4 Willie.

It's going to be a long year.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

- Lack
- Kassian
- Horvat

Horvat mayyyyy become an elite/franchise player but outside of that theres not a lot to be excited about realistically.

Yeah two thirds of my interest in this team was traded away for a goon and a 3rd round pick. The Seahawks should be a lot of fun to watch this year though.

Normally I'd be really excited for the deadline and draft in a year like this but 9 out of 10 times our current management makes a move it makes me angrier so I hope they do absolutely nothing until they are fired. Even their good moves I'm a bit skeptical of, like Baertschi, and their only unquestionable good move, Vrbata, they seem to question themselves. A bunch of clowns are steering this sinking ship.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Just wanted to point out that Sbisa plays the left Side, So Clendening, Corrado, Bartkowski, and Weber will all be fighting for the two open spots on the right side.

He played 255 mins with Hamhuis last year. It they Bartkowski in the lineup then one of Sbisa or Bartkowski is going to have to move over because I doubt Edler or Hamhuis is changing sides.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
He played 255 mins with Hamhuis last year. It they Bartkowski in the lineup then one of Sbisa or Bartkowski is going to have to move over because I doubt Edler or Hamhuis is changing sides.

Whats the worst part of this is we have to young guys who need time in the NHL next year, plus a youngish guy who not only out played both veterans, but also looks to have started to turn the corner. Yet we are running with Bartowski and Sbisa... :(

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006

Well in your mind if you think Vey = Horcoff, Virtanen a top line player and Clendening a sleeper then ya it looks like we have some nice future pieces. However your wrong. Clendening and Vey suck and I'll be suprised if they're in the NHL in a couple of years. Virtanen looks like a 2nd liner who's closer to a 3rd liner than a 1st liner. We lack any true top line talent or top 4 D prospects. Simple as that.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Canucks might be re-signing RFAs, then making more moves. The unsigned FAs are talking to somebody.

Yeah, but we hold all the cards...if someone is stupid enough to overpay them we get picks back. None of our RFA's are worth poaching.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

- Lack
- Kassian
- Horvat

I wasn't quite at the point of purchasing Kassian's jersey but I sure as hell was excited to see him take the next step and solidify a roster spot.

And absolutely yes on the Lack and Horvat jersey. I was actually actively looking for a Lack t-shirt last season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Yeah, but we hold all the cards...if someone is stupid enough to overpay them we get picks back.
Less than $1,205,377Nothing

$1,205,377-to-$1,826,328Third-round pick
$1,826,328-to-$3,652,659Second-round pick
$3,652,659-to-$5,478,986
Firt and third-round picks
$5,478,986-to-$7,305,316 First, second and third-round picks
$7,305,316-to-$9,131,645Two firsts, a second and third-round picks
$9,131,645 or greaterFour first-round picks.
None of our RFA's are worth poaching.

This is more like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad