Speculation: Will interest in the Canucks continue to decline this year?

MISC*

-Don't see us making a huge splash during free agency. Same old core members.

-Lots of players we have signed 'Dorsett, Sbisa, Clendening, Weber' don't have an emotional attachment to the fas like Burr, Sedins, BXA (not a bad thing). They're uninteresting.

-Only a few picks this up coming draft.

- Losing to the Flames in the playoffs has further soured fans?

What do you guys think?

Bad News Benning

Fallin for Dahlin?
Jan 11, 2003
Victoria
Visit site
It will decline and continue to decline until we have new franchise players to get excited about. Everyone sees the writing on the wall with this current team and are waiting for a legit reason to get excited again.

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
Could this thread have waited until after the opening of free agency? Can't complain about not signing UFA's when the window hasn't even opened yet. I think the fair-weather fans have already exited the bandwagon anyway, so what's to lose?

discordant concord

Jan 13, 2010
Temples of Syrinx
Canucks are at a crossroads, not too bad, not too good. They're likely a playoff bubble team. I personally think they'll fare worse this season, but that's just me. I don't see LA and Dallas missing the playoffs again.

If the Canucks get a wow! season from 2-3 young players, interest will pick up. So if Horvat, Kassian and Bonino score about 45 points, I think fans will become more emotionally invested.

Otherwise, I suspect interest and popularity will continue to wane.

Last edited:

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
absolutely. Nearly everyone i know has tuned out. maybe 5 of us that still care between my family, friends, and SO's large family.

No one wants to get together and watch the game anymore.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not good enough to be good and not bad enough to be bad. So to answer the question, yes.

Fans are going to get tired of middling this line every year. Pick a side.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Horvat - Burrows
Dorsett - Bonino - Kassian
Kenins - Richardson - Hansen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Bieksa

What I want.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Dorsett - Bonino - Hansen
Kenins - Richardson - Grenier

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Corrado
Sbisa - Stanton

Miller
Markstrom

If not this year next year a lot of players will be fighting for spots. McCann, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Grenier, Virtanen 2016 will be a good year and we will have more picks!

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Considering we just got an offer for 99$ lower bowl season tickets, I'm guessing it has been.

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Higgins - Horvat - Burrows
Dorsett - Bonino - Kassian
Kenins - Richardson - Hansen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Bieksa

What I want.

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Dorsett - Bonino - Hansen
Kenins - Richardson - Grenier

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Corrado
Sbisa - Stanton

Miller
Markstrom

If not this year next year a lot of players will be fighting for spots. McCann, Shinkaruk, Cassels, Grenier, Virtanen 2016 will be a good year and we will have more picks!

Burrows is too old to be double shifting like this.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
To keep interest high, we need more Horvats.

Considering the way that Horvat jerseys are flying off the shelves you'd think that Aqua man could be convinced "we need a couple more 1st line prospects to generate interest." Let him work out in his brain how to get those players and we may be getting somewhere.

I think fan interest will be down the next few seasons whether we make the playoffs or not.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
My biggest beef w/ the Canucks has always been their inability to draft, keep, or acquire what seems to be a glut of great players from their own region!

Growing up watching other teams w/ the likes of Yzerman, Sakic, Kariya, Niedermeyer, Recchi, Neely always annoyed me. Especially since some of them were available in trades (Sakic for Bertuzzi; Niedermeyer for Kesler+; and initially drafting Neely); also b/c they played the style of hockey that I enjoy watching...
Imagine Scott Niedermeyer w/ the WCE, Jovocop, and Ohlund back then: he would have put that team over the top!

Now I'm watching franchise/heart & soul players like Shea Weber, Jamie Benn, Milan Lucic, Andrew Ladd, etc. playing for other teams.

Scout the talent in your province!

Last edited:

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
-Don't see us making a huge splash during free agency. Same old core members.

-Lots of players we have signed 'Dorsett, Sbisa, Clendening, Weber' don't have an emotional attachment to the fas like Burr, Sedins, BXA (not a bad thing). They're uninteresting.

-Only a few picks this up coming draft.

- Losing to the Flames in the playoffs has further soured fans?

What do you guys think?

That would be tolerable if I could see a light at the end of the tunnel. But with this ownership/management? Oh well.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Say the rumors of Lucic turn out true, but he pans out well and turns into a wrecking ball for the Sedin line. Horvat gets promoted to the second line with Vrbata and Sbisa plays competently. Then there will be interest.

Status quo? Eh...

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Say the rumors of Lucic turn out true, but he pans out well and turns into a wrecking ball for the Sedin line. Horvat gets promoted to the second line with Vrbata and Sbisa plays competently. Then there will be interest.

Status quo? Eh...

I thought both Lucic and the city of Vancouver are enjoying a healthy dose of intense mutual hatred that borderlines vendetta.

Bobby Digital

Jun 15, 2006
Interest is declining. There's absolutely nothing exciting about this team. Such a boring team to watch. Even your average fan is starting to catch on now. Interest won't go up until we get some new good young blood on this team.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Need more young players getting their chance to shine.

Horvat on the 2nd line. Kassian on the 1st line. McCann gets 9 games. Virtanen makes the team. Gaunce gets some call ups. Shinkaruk gets some call ups.

Corrado and Clendening get nice ice time.

Hell even if we draft a more "NHL ready" pick with our 1st rounder this year it would be sweet. Would be awesome to see a first rounder make a immediate impact in the NHL.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks seem acutely aware of season ticket sales. If they feel like they are losing support they'll do some stunt like trade for Lucic.

carolinacanuck

Apr 5, 2007
The Carolinas
i've been following this team since the early 70's

it'll take an apocalypse for me to lose interest.

if the fairweather fans wanna leave, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

rune74

Oct 10, 2008
Hilarious, you guys all say you want a rebuild....do you realize that if we did go that route there would be multiple threads like this? So funny.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
If they continue try and win with this core and don't get value for their ageing assets, then yes I'd be pissed. The Aquillinis need to sell the team. HF Canucks should pool all their money together and buy it from them. Start a bunch of businesses. I think it'd be the only way to save this franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad