Speculation: Will interest in the Canucks continue to decline this year?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Running a multi-million dollar sports franchise :laugh: I understand how long it takes to build a winner and the process involved. Because I've been there, have you? I'll tell you one thing, Kevin Lowe has more intelligence about the inner workings of a club in his pinky finger than you do, or ever will.

Of course he did, he was there running the show. The question is what did he do with with this Oilers intelligence that he had at his disposal? The answer is "show he had no idea what to do with it". Unfit to run a team, a fan off the street could have done better, couldn't have been worse, you don't get worse than continually drafting 1st overall.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Running a multi-million dollar sports franchise :laugh: I understand how long it takes to build a winner and the process involved. Because I've been there, have you? I'll tell you one thing, Kevin Lowe has more intelligence about the inner workings of a club in his pinky finger than you do, or ever will.

Kevin Lowe knows a little something about winning, after all... great example...

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011

Then you don't disagree that drafting first overall 4 out of 6 years is a legitimate strategy for building a winner?

Tear down and rebuild it is!

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Here's a major reason why my interest has bottomed out:

Bx7snzv

Note that this was as if March 30.

And:

keT4UZo

Note: this is amongst playoff teams and their playoff rosters.

Essentially, we don't incorporate youth, and we had the second oldest team in the playoffs. From our playoff roster you can subtract Lack, Matthias, Bieksa, and add Prust, Markstrom, Bartkowski. Basically a wash in terms of ages.

This team isn't getting younger, it isn't really incorporating youth, and our situation isn't getting any better. We're just stuck in neutral spinning our wheels with this false belief that we can actually go anywhere in the playoffs while paying lip service about incorporating youth.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Here's a major reason why my interest has bottomed out:

Bx7snzv

Note that this was as if March 30.

And:

keT4UZo

Note: this is amongst playoff teams and their playoff rosters.

Essentially, we don't incorporate youth, and we had the second oldest team in the playoffs. From our playoff roster you can subtract Lack, Matthias, Bieksa, and add Prust, Markstrom, Bartkowski. Basically a wash in terms of ages.

This team isn't getting younger, it isn't really incorporating youth, and our situation isn't getting any better. We're just stuck in neutral spinning our wheels with this false belief that we can actually go anywhere in the playoffs while paying lip service about incorporating youth.

Not to stop you when you are on a roll there, but without Richardson and Matthias don't we have 2 more open roster spots for youth?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Not to stop you when you are on a roll there, but without Richardson and Matthias don't we have 2 more open roster spots for youth?

Sure maybe on paper. But if that youth can't perform at an NHL level then have you actually gained anything? You are a worse team throwing some guys who might have a good future to the wolves etc. And quite honestly we're really talking about guys like Vey, Baertschi, and Virtanen. Vey and BAertschi have or are likely to fail. Virtanen would be a guy getting the Oiler treatment in being thrown to the wolves.

Youth only works if it is ready.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Sure maybe on paper. But if that youth can't perform at an NHL level then have you actually gained anything? You are a worse team throwing some guys who might have a good future to the wolves etc. And quite honestly we're really talking about guys like Vey, Baertschi, and Virtanen. Vey and BAertschi have or are likely to fail. Virtanen would be a guy getting the Oiler treatment in being thrown to the wolves.

Does this team look like the Oilers team that iced Nuge, Hall and Yak?

Not even close. Edler and Hamhuis alone make out D better then anything they had, the Sedins at F already better then the comparables those years and Miller as Goal was miles ahead of the leaky Dubnyk that got bounced out.

Im not saying it will be pretty this year but to compare us to the Oilers is just crazy and a lazy choice. Lets not act like chicken little here.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

How do you know the youth isn't ready? How do you know Baertschi is likely to fail? :shakehead

Virtanen is physically ready for the NHL. Giving him a 3rd or 4th line role similar to Horvat isn't throwing him to the wolves or giving him the Oiler treatment.

Can people stop it with the stupid notion that bringing in young players all of a sudden means we're going the way of the Oilers? We are one of the oldest teams in the league, with one of the lowest production levels from players 24 and under. We need to implement youth! It isn't like anyone is calling for Virtanen and McCann to be given first line minutes. But I do think both should be given an opportunity to earn a bottom 6 role. Sadly at this point I doubt we'll see either.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Just means Vey has a permanent spot, and one of Kenins or Baertschi has a spot. Aside from that there isn't much room.

Case in point, our roster...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Prust - Vey - Dorsett
Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Weber
Clendening, Corrado

Miller
Markstrom
----

Even if we do trade Higgins, it's going to come between Kenins and Virtanen, instead of both.

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Just means Vey has a permanent spot, and one of Kenins or Baertschi has a spot. Aside from that there isn't much room.

It sure seemed like Vey had a permanent spot last year, even on the PP which we all disagreed with certainly. Vey can do no wrong.

Baer is a nice move to get skill in the lineup, Id like the see Gaunce, Cassells, Grenier or Virtanen come up too. I guess camp will show us whats what.

To me the scary thing is that Willie D says he didn't want to bring in Horvat because of his age last year, yet we are going through a rebuild/jettison for the next foreseeable while.

Does that make no sense to anyone else why we have a coach seemingly opposed to using youth while in transition?

TheBleedingEdge

Feb 13, 2012
Case in point, our roster...

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Bonino - Vrbata
Higgins - Horvat - Hansen
Prust - Vey - Dorsett
Kenins

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Sbisa
Bartkowski - Weber
Clendening, Corrado

Miller
Markstrom
----

Even if we do trade Higgins, it's going to come between Kenins and Virtanen, instead of both.

Problem?

1-2-3-4 has got this. Sbisa is watching video .. He is gonna be better, or at least "Real good" this year.

:sarcasm:

Yammer

Oct 22, 2002
Republic of East Van
If winning = interest then certainly, 2015-2016 would seem to lead to a dip in interest.

Except for the interest among stat geeks, prognosticators and people who have been advocating for a tank and the opportunity to draft in the top 5 for once, well, then it is extremely interesting.

That's really the only way it makes sense to me to add Prust on an expiring deal, for example.

I'm curious if this will lead to cheaper seats at any point.

Lonny Bohonos

Apr 4, 2010
Middle East
If winning = interest then certainly, 2015-2016 would seem to lead to a dip in interest.

Except for the interest among stat geeks, prognosticators and people who have been advocating for a tank and the opportunity to draft in the top 5 for once, well, then it is extremely interesting.

That's really the only way it makes sense to me to add Prust on an expiring deal, for example.

I'm curious if this will lead to cheaper seats at any point.

:laugh:

Cheaper seats?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
as an outsider here is a question

What would happen to support for the canucks if they had to put up with what the fan bases in Edmonton and Buffalo had to put up with?

right now it finally looks rosey for both teams--but in the case of the oilers we have had 7 years of abuse in the standings, media and by other fan bases (nearly all fan bases took turns mocking us at how bad the the oilers were and are still). Canucks in the last 7 years have been near the top for most of that time and now after missing the playoffs one year and making the playoffs last season but getting knocked in the first round we have a discussion about a decline in interest?

This thread confuses many other fan bases. I lived in Vancouver for nearly 15 years (east end--When in doubt-knock-em out) and being from Edmonton I have seen both places up close and personal and I do not see why Vancouver fans would or should have declining interest---if you guys had 5 years of finishing bottom of the league and your organization and city got bashed not only in Canada but on US networks on a regular bases--then I could see why interest would decline.

Sorry but there is no way there should be any decline in interest in the Canucks at this point in time--if you miss the playoffs in back to back years---yes then there could be a discussion about declining interest--not now

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010

You said you went to a Memorial Cup. I went to a Mem cup in 2007 too. I guess that means I know as much about running a multimillion dollar pro sports team as you do.

HankandDanny

Apr 13, 2015
Yeap it will. We might even make the playoffs but even someone like me who is too optimistic, it will be a first round exit. until new players come in, the decline in interest will continue.

Forever a Canuck

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

What would happen to support for the canucks if they had to put up with what the fan bases in Edmonton and Buffalo had to put up with?

right now it finally looks rosey for both teams--but in the case of the oilers we have had 7 years of abuse in the standings, media and by other fan bases (nearly all fan bases took turns mocking us at how bad the the oilers were and are still). Canucks in the last 7 years have been near the top for most of that time and now after missing the playoffs one year and making the playoffs last season but getting knocked in the first round we have a discussion about a decline in interest?

This thread confuses many other fan bases. I lived in Vancouver for nearly 15 years (east end--When in doubt-knock-em out) and being from Edmonton I have seen both places up close and personal and I do not see why Vancouver fans would or should have declining interest---if you guys had 5 years of finishing bottom of the league and your organization and city got bashed not only in Canada but on US networks on a regular bases--then I could see why interest would decline.

Sorry but there is no way there should be any decline in interest in the Canucks at this point in time--if you miss the playoffs in back to back years---yes then there could be a discussion about declining interest--not now

Selling hope is a lot easier than selling a festering carcass at prime cut prices.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER

I'm sure the intention of your post was to passive aggressively shame canucks fans for 300ish words, not to illicit an actual response. If you have it out of your system you're welcome to head back to your own forum.

To answer your question: as always in the NHL, it's better to be on the very top or the very bottom. The middle is always the worst spot. Especially when your franchise has zero cups.

The Jesus*

It's a Thursday evening, and you have a night to go out on the town. Where do you go?

In Vancouver, you can go see the Canucks. Go watch some theater. See live bands play. Go up to Grouse mountain and go hiking/snowboarding. Go boating. Jet skiing. Science world. Planetarium. Stanley Park. PNE. I think you get the idea.

In Edmonton, what do you do? It's -30 out and there is 2 feet of snow. Something indoors, but then I gotta go travel in this miserable weather. Might as well just stay home and watch the Oilers play. Maybe go to a pub. Etc.

Vancouver has far more activities to compete with the time and money of it's inhabitants, and an environment far more conducive to outdoor activities. Not to mention Vancouver has a very high immigration population, many of whom care nothing about hockey.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
What have the Canucks done to gain interest with the team? Nothing, we're older, slower, unskilled team with a very uncertain future and very meh now. I'm not sure how $$ tickets prices are now since I've stopped going to Canuck games in Vancouver since my displeased with the team in 2012(when I said this team was done and few believed it) but if ticket prices are high why would anyone pay that to watch this sad on ice team, Horvats great but Virtanen and Beartcshi will have to have a big year to make it worth it. So I don't see how this team can gain interest, they need a high level prospect to gain that interest, they need to tank and unfortunately that year was this one, I'm not sure if marketing an American(Matthews) is the way to go, a McDavid caaaaachin... If we pick high in this draft we have to go for Jacob Chychrun who draws in the Ekbald comparables, which we need in the worst way. Canucks need a rebuild to build the interest back up, they need young marketable players with bright futures and need to sell that, not this beaten and going nowhere, aged, stale core.

Last edited:

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011

It's kind of refreshing to see another team's fans comment on some of the thought processes of our fans. This offseason has felt like the Canucks board kicked the "bat-**** crazy" into overdrive. Have you seen the Fire Benning avatars floating around? They're calling for his head because he got below market value on two trades.

Never mind the fact we just made the playoffs -- no, they say that's the opposite of what we should be doing, we should be losing as much as possible to build a good team in the future! Playoffs are for chumps when you don't have an extremely good chance at winning it all!

But, alas, we'll make the playoffs next year, likely lose in round 1 or 2 like 75% of the teams do, and the boards will be more blazing than the wildfires ravaging our province right now.

The difference is, though, when the Canucks actually become "that" bad, when we inevitably revert to the perennial cellar dwellers, when the Sedins finally leave the team and stop carrying it on their backs, there won't be many fans left to ruminate in the ashes. The fair-weather nature of the fan base dictates the ebb and flow of interest. It's not something I'll be able to explain to you (because I will never be able to fathom it myself), but I can at least validate your observations.

Well, when that time comes I'll still be here, because I bleed this team until I die, but you bet your ass people are jumping ship already. And when the Canucks can't sell out games, when the ticket prices wither, when the suits and tourists just aren't interested in the lower bowl, I'll be the one going to all the cheap games in great seats with plenty of room for my elbows and feet, with friends and family in tow.

Last edited:

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007

I can't speak for an entire fan-base (and no one really can), but I have my personal reasons for not going to as many games. For one, the only way I can protest incompetent management is by not going to games. The Aquilini's are all about the money, and the only way they'll make change is if they see it hit their pockets. Secondly, watching a team spin its tires in mediocrity is the definition of boring. When a fan base sees that the franchise has no hope of going deep in the playoffs, and knows that the current core has no potential to get better, that's when things really suck. From around 2000 until now, knowledgeable Vancouver fans knew in each season that either a) the team had the potential to get better, b) had a reasonable shot at competing for a cup (even if they weren't elite), or finally c) were high-scoring and fun to watch. Currently, the Canucks are realistically none of those three. The core is old, we have very few young potential core players on the roster, there's no reasonable chance at a cup and the team isn't very entertaining. Management doesn't appear to be doing much to remedy any of the problems, so there's a hope in hell I'm paying ridiculous amounts of money to go to games until something gets fixed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad