Will hockey's passion ever make a comeback like in the past?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I don't think this is an NHL issue. All the leagues are going through this. They have gotten softer.

The game will continue to evolve with society and medical knowledge. Its simply good business to do so, even if some of us old timers miss some aspects of the old game.

I think the main issue now is the player familiarity with one another. Players these days are more connected than ever with players all over the league. They know each other on a personal level rather than as adversaries.

I think torts is on to something when he says the hate is gone. We don't need to back to barbarian ages, but I think the game could stand to gain some more intensity while still being a safer environment.

psycat

Oct 25, 2016
People in general are becomong softer and at the same time more individualistic, that combination(together with regulations) is death of passion and grit. It's the same thing everywhere in society, people are just all acting like princess on the pea more often than just twenty, thirty years ago.

Combine that with the fact that loyalty to a club or town is almost extinct and that all players see eachother as colleagues rather than opposition you get what you get. As for the European football it's pretty much, with a few exceptions, going the same way. I personally blame americanzation for a lot of this, everything is treated as business and multiculturalism remove a lot of pride and affinity. National teams in athetletics even go as far as importing talent to win medals for nations they have, at best, a vague connection to.

I would go as far as saying that this is entirely representative for society as a whole.

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
Unless a major collective shift of priorities occurs, I give it fifty years max before the mainstream interest and attention move from physical sports to eSports (and so will money).

We will no longer praise the athletes. We will talk about guys like EKI and Yung Gren today. Physical sports will become a relict. The actual leagues, if there will be any, will return to the relative underground (of old eras).

So maybe there, you will have retro true men competing against retro true men.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

Troubadour

Feb 23, 2018
It's probably worth pointing out to everyone posting in this thread that the generation that preceded yours thought your generation was also becoming soft.

Are we supposed to deny it because we can't let the old guard be right about something for once? Or should we give in before a random kiddo says we're just old and grumpy (ignoring that a despotic old man he himself will turn into before long has just spoken out for the first time)?

I for one don't have any problem admitting the game was tougher not even that long ago because I don't consider "softer" a flaw. I'm not offended by it.

(On a different note, hyperbole: there are apocalyptic prophecies churned all around the world, every year. And right before the first (and only) correct one, someone is guaranteed to point out that we have been hearing those for thousands and thousands and thousands of years. And the next thing you know, you don't.)

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
It's probably worth pointing out to everyone posting in this thread that the generation that preceded yours thought your generation was also becoming soft.

I have no problem saying that my dad grew up in a tougher age than I did. I played outside a lot as a kid, but I also watched a lot of TV - Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, etc. In my dad's time, all they did was play outside. They were all envious of the one rich kid that had a TV. They'd climb the rich kid's back fence, and try to watch his TV while looking over the fence, through the window. When the rich kid's maid noticed, she would run outside into the backyard with a broom and shoo them away. My son's got his own TV, PS3, PS4, computer, tablet, and cell phone. But he still can't beat me in an arm wrestle;) He complains when I ask him to shovel our comparatively shorter driveway (than I grew up with), because he hasn't had weight training yet in gym class this year.

Reactions: Tarantula

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
It's not even fighting that I miss...although I do miss it. I agree with Torterella, I miss the hate. Even the Penguins/Flyers rivalry which I love isn't the same anymore. I don't want to see Ovechkin and Crosby hugging after a game.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Yeah, fighting is a by-product...I miss the hatred too...

Awful lot of money in the game for hate...guys like Maxime Talbot telling 18,000 creatures to hush up in a playoff game, and then signing with that team a handful of months later...gross.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
To me this is just nostalgia speaking. There's a lot of passion in the game today

Rivalries between teams is a bit more difficult with 31 teams competing. Rivalries mostly come out in the playoffs - and teams don't play the same teams often enough. Washington/Pittsburgh is a great rivalry today from the past few years. A few years ago Montreal/Boston was good. Maybe Tor/Boston today too.

But lack or rivalries doesn't mean no passion.

I personally don't care for fighting and never have. Line brawls even worst - it seems unnecessary.

Agree with this as the OP seems to be confusing passion with violence and thuggery.

Sure coaching has changed the game alot in the last 30 years along with Bettman allowing the goalie equipment joke of expansion.

Somewhere the goalies union in the 90s must have had compromising pictures or something....

Reactions: Helistin

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Unless a major collective shift of priorities occurs, I give it fifty years max before the mainstream interest and attention move from physical sports to eSports (and so will money).

We will no longer praise the athletes. We will talk about guys like EKI and Yung Gren today. Physical sports will become a relict. The actual leagues, if there will be any, will return to the relative underground (of old eras).

So maybe there, you will have retro true men competing against retro true men.

Interesting thoughts although most of us will be dead by then.

That being said I don't see actual pro sports disappearing as their is a huge emotional and tribal attachment to pro sports teams and it's part of the human condition.

We are hardwired to react to an us and them mentality which can be measured in the brain.

Thankfully as humans we can override this natural state of hate with something better with education and awareness.

Reactions: Troubadour

BadgerBruce

Aug 8, 2013
Can't say I care much about fighting one way or the other, but I agree that the game has become passionless and dull for the most part.

Don't really see it swinging back barring a major societal shift. The fear of head injuries is valid, and I'd expect the game to get even less violent over time as a result. That's probably a good thing, though a little painful for those over about 30 who remember a different era. These things happen though - bear-baiting and dog fights used to be normal entertainment, now they're seen as barbaric. Values shift over time. No real point fighting it.

Plus the NHL is now a very lucrative entertainment product, first and foremost, with all the corporate ideology, lawyers, and PR firms that entails. The "brand" is the most important thing. Players are mostly rich kids, who stand to make millions. They bring a different mentality from the farm boys and urban sons of immigrant factory workers who populated the league in the past. And there's a massive generational difference in attitude, reflected in both players and fans. I'll refrain from too much comment on it as I'm not that interested in taking on the crabby old guy role, but I'll say that along with some very positive social changes (less bigotry, less tolerance of cruelty, etc.) we're certainly seeing some negatives. Most people have become weaker, for lack of a better word, and more driven by their identity as an individual (i.e. culturally encouraged narcissism) than by their role as part of a larger social group. Obviously that'll have an impact on team sports.

Don't think it'll change. Get used to it. Hoping the NHL can cut down further on clutch and grab, so if we're missing a lot of passion and excitement, at least we'll get to watch spectacularly skilled players do their thing unimpeded. Highlight reels are great these days even if the games aren't.

Excellent post. Thank you for sharing.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
5. Getting back to point #3 and the "us against them mentality". From an international standpoint, well, all I can say is that you had to be there. There will never be another '72, '76, '79 '81, or '87 when the sport transcended the sport and became more of a Rocky IV - where it extends into ideologies. "We're fighting for the country boys. This is war. We can't let the bad guys win." I'm not just saying this from a Canadian standpoint, as I'm sure the Soviets felt the same way. '96 between the US and Canada was pretty intense, but still not the same.

I remember in 1996 there were mild complaints about how the World Cup wasn't as intense or "Us vs. them" as in years past. However, Canada and the USA hated each other in that tournament, it was great hockey and it had everything. I don't think we will ever see hockey like that again. These teams played in the round robin and then three hard fought games in the final. Honestly, hockey played in the 1996 World Cup was about as perfect as it could be. Lots of skill, lots of hitting, no one trapping, even some fighting, etc.

I'm not a big follower of international soccer/football, but from what I gather European fans are still pretty rabid about their teams in general, singing songs in the stands and getting into fights in the crowd. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in on how they've kept the passion?

I can't comment on European football, but in the NFL the fans have that passion still. It is intense. Almost to the point of going overboard. Alcohol has a lot to do with it of course but I've been in Buffalo in Bills country and been cheering for the other team and honestly thinking that in order to leave I may have to fight some fans. I'm a big guy too, but there was some serious animosity of an opposing fan being there, they didn't care. I just wish we saw that in hockey..............on the ice that is. More of an "Us vs. them" mentality.

I think you're pining for "good ol days" without care for reality. Hockey back then was played by lower and middle class who took great risks to get a slightly bigger pay than in a coal mine or a steel factory. World has changed and we should be thankful of the development and shameful for cheering terrorists like Scott Stevens!

It'd be nice if someone more eloquent would make a thread about the possibility of sanctioning players like Stevens, Ulf and Kasparaitis from consideration for any threads respecting or valuing players. These "players" whose CV includes multiples of intent to injure should be ostracized.

Scott Stevens is labelled a "terrorist"? Come on, even as a metaphor that's crazy. What is it with us nowadays, Stevens was a Hall of Famer, and a lock cinch at that. He was a far superior defenseman to Niedermayer and anyone who was around at the time would have thought this. Let's call the guy what he was, a great defenseman who hit hard. Hockey was about keeping your head up, up until 10 years ago that is pretty much how it was.

Reactions: Thenameless

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
People in general are becomong softer and at the same time more individualistic, that combination(together with regulations) is death of passion and grit. It's the same thing everywhere in society, people are just all acting like princess on the pea more often than just twenty, thirty years ago.

Combine that with the fact that loyalty to a club or town is almost extinct and that all players see eachother as colleagues rather than opposition you get what you get. As for the European football it's pretty much, with a few exceptions, going the same way. I personally blame americanzation for a lot of this, everything is treated as business and multiculturalism remove a lot of pride and affinity. National teams in athetletics even go as far as importing talent to win medals for nations they have, at best, a vague connection to.

I would go as far as saying that this is entirely representative for society as a whole.

Maybe that's how we have to look at it. People are soft today. Kids are soft today. Manual labour is not as rampant as it was in years past. Mostly because there aren't the jobs that do this as much anymore. That alone makes us a softer and more privileged society. Men in the 1970s as studies have shown were stronger than men today at the same age. In the 1930s they were probably stronger than men in the 1970s. We live in a bubble too much nowadays and complain about a drive thru being too busy. Think about that, a place where we can drive a car, not a horse but a car, to a window where we can get affordable food immediately without getting out of our car we complain about it.

Aside from this rant, this is true with what you say, we are just softer as a whole. It spills over into everything in life, including sports. I saw an ad the other day and it was meant as a joke but it was asking for anyone who wants to be a farm hand. The only stipulation is that you have to be able to keep up with two 12 year old Amish boys. Funny.........but true. I know the jobs my grandfather and great grandfather did to make a living. I think most 20 year olds would curl into a ball if they knew they had to do this stuff.

Maybe it is the same with Mitch Marner and Connor McDavid in hockey for example. Why do things the hard way when you don't have to anymore? The problem is that we've lost something with so little animosity these days.

Because of technological advances.............they are right though. Kids that are 20 nowadays are not tough at all. They have it better than they ever have had it. We can call this progress and in some cases it is, but it has also left us weak. Look at the things we get offended by nowadays. Try to imagine your grandfather during the Depression getting upset about the things the average man does today. We can't.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This is what I wish would happen a bit more. I wish there would be players that called out teams a bit more. Imagine Brad Marchand saying something along the lines of "We hate the Leafs and their fans in our dressing room. What a bunch of classless apes!"

Can you imagine that? This would make great hockey! However hockey players are too scared to show any passion. The media practically forces them to be vanilla because they know they'll jump all over them if they say anything out of line.

This is part of the problem. The fun is gone. Hockey used to be so fun all of the time because there were so many story lines attached to a season. Even the 1995-'96 season for instance I can remember so many storylines. Now? Just very standard stuff.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
A few takes:

1. Everyone's a millionaire now. What do you expect? The days of hunger (comparable salary to uninteresting careers) and those of honor (amateur status pre-NHL) are long gone.

2. Wait for the playoffs. Those not on the golf field are busting their gut for glory: to simply have name etched on one of several cup replicas, for the glory and fame of success.

3. I see more passion at Saturday morning soccer games at the local park than I do in top European league games. In hockey though, only the world juniors and NCAA final four have seemed as frenzied (though the passion of the ECHL far exceeds anything I've seen in the AHL).

4. NHL hockey in October through January is often loveless - hence the hype of divisional rivalries.

5. OMG. Last season I watched EVERY Vegas Golden Knight game and watched passion every game!!! This year the team started a bit flat and my interest waned, I at times settling for the 10-minute game highlight package.

This year I have loved the passion of the Panthers and Islanders. They compete like hell night in and night out. Boston and Nashville have impressed but they are built to rumble.

Tampa, Calgary, and Toronto are often meh... they got the talent and have success... but blood, sweat and tears ain't on the program.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
Scott Stevens is labelled a "terrorist"? Come on, even as a metaphor that's crazy. What is it with us nowadays, Stevens was a Hall of Famer, and a lock cinch at that. He was a far superior defenseman to Niedermayer and anyone who was around at the time would have thought this. Let's call the guy what he was, a great defenseman who hit hard. Hockey was about keeping your head up, up until 10 years ago that is pretty much how it was.

Hockey was wrong and so are you! Players who deliberately ended careers should be removed from the Hall of Fame! It doesn't matter if the rules were lax, Stevens knew his tackles would cause major maedical issues and had not respect or sportsmanship. He is the lowest of the low, a thug, headhhunter and a terrorist in hockey. He is even lower than doping users. Don't give me nostalgia crap about a player who played against the rules.

ps. Karya, Lindros... You Phil, can't call yourself a hockey fan, if you think Stevens deserves to be in HHOF after ending those two careers far better than his own.
pps. Far more talented as a correction.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeBlondeDemon10

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
I feel like hockey culture is way too keen on defining "passion" as "wants to cripple people for playing a game against you". People tend to forget that a lot of the big heated rivalries of days past got as heated as they did because of guys running around making plays that served no purpose but to try to ruin someone's life. We get on our high horse when something like the Bertuzzi incident happens and preach how it doesn't belong in hockey, but we disgusting acts as long as they don't end in anyone being too hurt to ever play again. If Moore hadn't suffered such severe brain damage people would be complaining about how "kids these days" are too soft for thinking there was anything wrong with what happened that night.

Part of the issue is just that people display passion differently. I highly doubt that players don't care about the game anymore. Guys care as much as always, and it's not as if there aren't still plenty of extra curricular activities going on after whistles or big hits or whatnot. You've always had some players who were there because it was their job, some who were obsessed to the point of needless violence, and the majority who love the game but aren't about to kill a guy over it. Nowadays though with players having a lot more contact with each other away from the ice and the effects of head injuries being much more well known, it's a lot harder for anyone to want to play the traditional big mean guy role. To be a Scott Stevens or Mark Messier type today requires that you look at someone like Marc Savard and the months of hell he suffered and make a conscious choice that you want to do that to people. Not a lot of people have it in them to do that, and that's a good thing.

Because of technological advances.............they are right though. Kids that are 20 nowadays are not tough at all. They have it better than they ever have had it. We can call this progress and in some cases it is, but it has also left us weak. Look at the things we get offended by nowadays. Try to imagine your grandfather during the Depression getting upset about the things the average man does today. We can't.

I can imagine someone's grandfather during the Depression being deeply offended that a black man was allowed to drink from the same water fountain as him, or being scandalized by the slightest hint that gay people exist. People say this a lot, but it doesn't add up. It's only in the relatively recent past that it's stopped being perfectly acceptable to be so offended by the existence of demographics you aren't a part of that you will get laws passed against them being seen in public and assault or kill them if you do see them. We've moved on to scrutinizing everything so closely for offensive material in large part because the society of decades past was so relentlessly hostile to everyone that offended its tender sensibilities.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I feel like hockey culture is way too keen on defining "passion" as "wants to cripple people for playing a game against you". People tend to forget that a lot of the big heated rivalries of days past got as heated as they did because of guys running around making plays that served no purpose but to try to ruin someone's life. We get on our high horse when something like the Bertuzzi incident happens and preach how it doesn't belong in hockey, but we disgusting acts as long as they don't end in anyone being too hurt to ever play again. If Moore hadn't suffered such severe brain damage people would be complaining about how "kids these days" are too soft for thinking there was anything wrong with what happened that night.
Excellent points. I personally miss a bit of the so-called "hate", but I do not miss the thuggery, the staged fights, or the endless (and pointless) scrums after whistles and goals-scored that slowed down the game.
Part of the issue is just that people display passion differently. I highly doubt that players don't care about the game anymore.
Right, but the difference is that 30 or 70 years ago, players cared about their own team first, and nowadays players care about themselves/their careers first. The players now know (and are paid in accordance) that they themselves are the most valuable currency their franchise has, that the NHLPA is more powerful than their team's owner/GM, and that risking life and limb to "send a message" is not (in career terms) worth the blowback and penalties it will engender.
Guys care as much as always, and it's not as if there aren't still plenty of extra curricular activities going on after whistles or big hits or whatnot.
I disagree there (not sayin' it's a bad thing). There is WAY less scrumming, jockeying, fighting after whistles and goals now than when I was a kid.
You've always had some players who were there because it was their job, some who were obsessed to the point of needless violence, and the majority who love the game but aren't about to kill a guy over it. Nowadays though with players having a lot more contact with each other away from the ice and the effects of head injuries being much more well known, it's a lot harder for anyone to want to play the traditional big mean guy role. To be a Scott Stevens or Mark Messier type today requires that you look at someone like Marc Savard and the months of hell he suffered and make a conscious choice that you want to do that to people. Not a lot of people have it in them to do that, and that's a good thing.
Sure, agreed. Except I don't think players like Stevens and Messier were typical of the "traditional big mean guy role". Guys like them were all-stars, universally respected, and were not considered 'dirty' by the standards of the time (well, Messier was borderline at times). For the most part, they played within the rules, though Messier's elbows sometimes got out of control and Steven's late-career hit on Kariya was late and overly savage. You'd be better to point to good-skill players like Gary Suter and Matt Cooke as examples, or to the enforcers of course, like Stu Grimson or Tim Hunter, who would never make an NHL line-up today.
I can imagine someone's grandfather during the Depression being deeply offended that a black man was allowed to drink from the same water fountain as him, or being scandalized by the slightest hint that gay people exist. People say this a lot, but it doesn't add up. It's only in the relatively recent past that it's stopped being perfectly acceptable to be so offended by the existence of demographics you aren't a part of that you will get laws passed against them being seen in public and assault or kill them if you do see them. We've moved on to scrutinizing everything so closely for offensive material in large part because the society of decades past was so relentlessly hostile to everyone that offended its tender sensibilities.
Yes, which is a very good thing in society (in my opinion). But the drama on a hockey rink isn't life, it's an entertainment-business with a tradition that depends on fans' interest levels to maintain its existence. If the entertainment level dips too much, the NHL will suffer and fans will drift away.

As Phil mentioned earlier, I think there's an ideal balance to be sought in hockey. I certainly wouldn't want to go back to scrums and gooning and head-shots (does anyone?). And once players learned their actual worth and that the NHLPA was bigger than their teams... well, once that genie was out of the bottle, it can never go back in. We can't plan to make players dumb and uninformed again. So, what can be done to get more intense hockey and passion between clubs?

I think the only thing the NHL can realistically do is to schedule teams to play rivals more often -- and go back to the 80s/early-90s playoff structure of intra-divisional rounds one and two always. I swear, as an Oilers' fan I often can't remember the last time Edmonton and Calgary played each other, and when they do there's not much hatred or passion. That's ridiculous, and the NHL is to blame for those natural rivalries turning into "just-another-day-at-the-office" games because the teams don't play one another enough.

The NHL is too big now, so I'd like to see it change into two "Leagues" (like MLBA) that have strictly intra-league play -- like, 16 teams in each League. Local/division rivals will play one another about 8 or 10 times per year, and are guaranteed to meet in the playoffs if they both make it in.

I think that is the best that can be done.

Reactions: Panthera

Panthera

Sep 25, 2017
I brought up Stevens and Messier (and tried multiple times to figure out a good phrase to use for them specifically because of the ambiguity involved) precisely because they were well respected guys. Stevens was mostly clean by the standards of his day (as in he may have broken the rules a bit at times because playing the way he did means you'll mistime things sometimes, but he didn't intentionally throw hits he knew were dirty), but he definitely made a point of laying people out as hard as he could and took advantage of the fact that the rules allowed him to hit high up to enhance that. Messier did some dirty stuff at times for sure but usually stayed as close to the line of what's allowed as he could. But even with them being tame compared to the likes of Cooke or someone like Suter (much less old school maniacs like Cleghorn), their playstyle is still one you can't emulate today without knowing you're risking doing some horrible things to people. Most people look back on Scott Stevens fondly and with respect, but it's not easy to watch a highlight reel of his hits without cringing at how little the league and players knew or cared for the potential they had to derail careers or even lives.

Obviously few want the return of the dedicated enforcer, or the dirty super pest or anything like that, but a lot of people do seem to want the return of guys who are still very hard to emulate when you know that doing so might lead to someone spending a few months sitting in a dark, quiet room because it's all their brain can handle, especially when that guy might be someone you or one of your buddies trains with in the offseason. For example, people definitely point to the Detroit/Colorado rivalry of the 90s as something that they wish existed today, but that rivalry got heated the way it did in large part because of a hit from behind resulting in serious injury. Can't have genuine hatred without someone doing something worth hating them for.

I agree with the point about trying to adjust the schedule to encourage more rivalries though. I don't want to see physicality gone from the game or anything, if anything I want to see a bit more than there is now (fellow Oilers fan, so I know what's it like watching your team get shoved around non stop every year but one in recent memory). I just dislike how often the discussion tends to glorify the past without acknowledging the downsides to the way things were. Hockey is a dangerous enough sport as it is without anyone involved going out of their way to hurt people.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Really, then how can you be a Sedins' fan? (I'm kidding.)

Well, there's no reason you can't have both hate and skill.
Well, it seems the complaints of lack of hate coincides with the increase in skill. And if said skill is worried about the extra-curriculars that come with the "hate" too much, the skill suffers.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
There are a lot of thoughts to unpack about these topics:

1. I don't think today's players lack passion, they just don't go around hitting and fighting players like players in past generations did to show their passion. Since most players today are skill players most don't have the abilities or the natural desire to make a big hit, or fight other players to show they care about the team and their teammates. Maybe this is due to the fact that most teams have 3 skill lines and one shutdown line (or 4 skill lines) compared with past decades where a team would have two skill lines, a shutdown line and some kind of enforcer line. NHL GM's realize that the more fast, skilled players they have, the better chance they have of winning games, making the playoffs and ultimately winning Stanley Cups (also not getting fired).

2. A lot of the reason for this lack of animosity is the fact that NHL players hang out with each other all the time, and generally know each other from playing on minor/ junior teams, international teams, past NHL teams,training or golfing with each other outside of the NHL season. This is opposed to the past where players would often play for the same franchise their entire career in a six team league (hence the Richard/ Lindsay hatred mentioned above). Maybe the lockouts have had an effect on this too with the NHLPA vs the owners rallying the players together reducing the friction between players on rival teams.

3. Hockey rivalries are really more between the fan bases yelling at each other on Twitter now than anything the players do on the ice. When is the last time you saw a NHL game spill over with multiple fights? Montreal/ Boston 5 or 6 years ago?

4. You can't ignore the science on head injuries. I personally used to love watching a big hit or a fight, but know all I and everyone else does is wait for the slow motion replay to see if there was contact to the head before we can allow ourselves to cheer a great hit, or cringe and ask themselves "how many games is that player going to get suspended for?" As a fan it's just hard and not fun to cheer for it when you know the long term result is brain damage and other conditions such as Alzheimer's, and lack of motor control later in life.

5. As a millennial yes our generation is soft! We have technology that makes hard work from past generations much easier and more efficient to do. Remember the next time you read an article on "why millennial's are ruining everything?" that Gen Xer's and younger Boomers are the ones that raised us to be soft by trying to make our lives easier than their's were and that contributes greatly with why we are so soft and protected. In 20 years we are all going to be complaining about how Gen Z is ruining everything and that their generation is much softer than even millennial's were. It's kind of that "old man yells at cloud" philosophy.

6. I'm always down for a solid socio-economic discussion, particularly regarding why current NHL players generally come from rich families, where as the past they were often working class farmboy's or their fathers worked in some kind of mill plant or mine. The short answer is equipment is much more expensive, it takes more money to play at AAA or a similarly high level with the travel to tournaments. This doesn't even get into specialized hockey camps, and summer hockey. However that discussion is better suited for a different forum than the HOH, probably best for Business of hockey.

7. European football (soccer) hooliganism is based more around pride for your area, and fighting to defend it from other hooligans invading your stadium than it does about the actual match itself. Basically its groups of adult males who have fun fighting each other and it gives them an excuse to fight a group of consenting combatants. Unfortunately it also results in a lot of violence against innocent bystanders, looting and possible racism against minorities. I watched a documentary series on Netflix about it and most of the hardcore hooligans they interviewed had lifetime stadium bans across the U.K. I wouldn't want NHL games to ever rise to that kind of atmosphere towards different groups of fans in a stadium.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Well, it seems the complaints of lack of hate coincides with the increase in skill. And if said skill is worried about the extra-curriculars that come with the "hate" too much, the skill suffers.

Not true. Gretzky and Mario played in an era with lots of skill and lots of animosity. Tons of passion, dropping of the gloves, teammates standing up for each other, etc. A simpler time so to speak. No reason passion and skill can't co-exist again.

Quite frankly we have swung the pendulum the other way too far. I saw an article about a young father complaining that there aren't enough parking spaces for "caregivers". In Canada there are often parking spaces for pregnant women and caregivers and they are next to the handicap spots. I never in my life have parked in them, with or without kids, because I always felt that should probably go to the single mother or more importantly the pregnant woman. I park further down and walk the extra 30 seconds. All I could think of in hearing that "father" complain is just how much my grandfather would be shaking his head at him over such nonsense. So to each their own.

Hockey was wrong and so are you! Players who deliberately ended careers should be removed from the Hall of Fame! It doesn't matter if the rules were lax, Stevens knew his tackles would cause major maedical issues and had not respect or sportsmanship. He is the lowest of the low, a thug, headhhunter and a terrorist in hockey. He is even lower than doping users. Don't give me nostalgia crap about a player who played against the rules.

ps. Karya, Lindros... You Phil, can't call yourself a hockey fan, if you think Stevens deserves to be in HHOF after ending those two careers far better than his own.
pps. Far more talented as a correction.

Scott Stevens is quite comfortably in the HHOF. He got in there right away. He is probably the best defenseman to never win the Norris outside of perhaps Brad Park. Three time Cup winner, Conn Smythe winner, tons of all-star nods............but he is nothing more than a terrorist? Well, to this day he holds the New Jersey Devils' single season record for assists if you can believe it. Not Elias, not Hall, not Arnott, not Gomez. Scott Stevens.

By the way, let's look at the Lindros play shall we? Lindros gets the puck in a promising transition. He, as usual, isn't paying attention and is skating with his head down. This is Game 7 for the right to go onto the Cup final. He sees Leclair breaking down the wing beside him and just a split second before he is about to dish the puck off to him for him to possibly walk right in Stevens nails him. Devils eventually win.

There was not a GM who did not want Stevens on their team. He was a winner. And this was a time when the onus was still on the player carrying the puck to keep his head up because the defenseman has a job to do and that is hit you and separate you from the puck. I knew it was going to be problematic the second they stopped teaching kids to keep their head up and dole out some of the blame to them if they got hit hard. The result is that we overanalyze every single hit in 2019 to the point where we have lost a ton of passion.

If Stevens isn't a Hall of Famer in your eyes then you are too young to have seen him play.

Reactions: Last Gleaming

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad