Will habs ever be successful if they keep Price/Weber?

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
I won't lie. I have a fantasy that Tavares wants to play in Montreal. I know it's ridiculous and virtually impossible.

It's like that miniscule hope one gets with a lottery ticket in pocket - you know it won't happen but a faint glimmer of hope lives on in the reptilian brain.

Pretty much any other destination would be a better choice.
Well, on the bright side here - Bergevin DID bring Radulov in to most everyone’s surprise. And playing for a team with arguably the league’s best goaltender Carey Price, Dman Shea Weber, winger Jonathon Drouin and (likely) Zadina can’t be un-appealing??

Last edited:

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Well, on the bright side here - Bergevin DID bring Radulov in to most everyone’s surprise. And playing for a team with arguably the league’s best goaltender Carey Price, Dman Shea Weber, winter Jonathon Drouin and (likely) Zadina can’t be un-appealing??

It’s really not that appealing either.

Why not go to Toronto and play 1A/B with Matthews and get Marner as your wingman?

Why not go to Nashville with the best top-4 D in the league, and other good centres in RJ/Turris?

Logically speaking, unless we simply offer the biggest contract I don’t see anything that would be an advantage for us over other teams.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Well, on the bright side here - Bergevin DID bring Radulov in to most everyone’s surprise.

The surprise was that Bergevin wanted him.

Anyone who followed Radulovs career knows he loved Quebec and wanted to play there again. That's why he changed his multi year demand to a one year rental contract at Bergevin's insistence. We could have signed him for years in 2016 but Bergevin looked at Radulov as a settle.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

Anyone who followed Radulovs career knows he loved Quebec and wanted to play there again. That's why he changed his multi year demand to a one year rental contract at Bergevin's insistence. We could have signed him for years in 2016 but Bergevin looked at Radulov as a settle.
Bergevin struck out on Lucic and Perron and settled for Radulov. As bad as things are right now just take a second to think how bad they would be if Bergevin got his way and we had gorilla Lucic on a 7 year 40+ million dollar deal.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Bergevin struck out on Lucic and Perron and settled for Radulov. As bad as things are right now just take a second to think how bad they would be if Bergevin got his way and we had gorilla Lucic on a 7 year 40+ million dollar deal.

Yeah, he got 7 years $42M from Edmonton. It's said that Montreal offered more.

Lucic, Benn, Alzner, man we'd be an easy team to beat.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Well, on the bright side here - Bergevin DID bring Radulov in to most everyone’s surprise. And playing for a team with arguably the league’s best goaltender Carey Price, Dman Shea Weber, winter Jonathon Drouin and (likely) Zadina can’t be un-appealing??

In a vacuum it looks like an okay roster. However if you compare the Habs to genuine contenders, they really don't match up too well. Tavares would be the only legit top 6 centre and the pressure to carry the team would be daunting.

It's just my opinion, but I don't believe Bergevin and company have a very good reputation around the league. Montreal is the only team I can think of that regularly blame players, individually or as a team, for the poor record. At their best, they've been great (inconsistently) in the regular season and an easy out in the playoffs.

There's not much that's appealing about signing on these days.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
The team will never be good if Carey Price is our #1 and plays like he did last year.

If he comes back to form, we will be a better team immediately... but still several years away..

HabsEstrie

Sep 30, 2017
It’s really not that appealing either.

Why not go to Toronto and play 1A/B with Matthews and get Marner as your wingman?

Why not go to Nashville with the best top-4 D in the league, and other good centres in RJ/Turris?

Logically speaking, unless we simply offer the biggest contract I don’t see anything that would be an advantage for us over other teams.

Ummm how the flip will Toronto be able to pay him ? And even if they figured a way, they plan on winning every game 9-8 lol ?

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB

I’m willing to accept this as fact if it’s been established or verified by Radulov. But I don’t recall hearing any of this on record, and I doubt there’s any proof of this? Radulov signed in Montreal purely because he likes Quebec? Bergevin insisted on one year and Radulov accepted because he HAD to play in Quebec? I know everyone hates Bergevin but it sounds like just more anti-MB drivel to me.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I’m willing to accept this as fact if it’s been established or verified by Radulov. But I don’t recall hearing any of this on record, and I doubt there’s any proof of this? Radulov signed in Montreal purely because he likes Quebec? Bergevin insisted on one year and Radulov accepted because he HAD to play in Quebec? I know everyone hates Bergevin but it sounds like just more anti-MB drivel to me.

Radulov played his junior level hockey with the Remparts and has said on many occasions how much he loves Quebec and always wanted to play in Montreal. This is why he turned down better offers to play there, and would have returned if Bergevin had shown him an iota of respect.

I'm not sure how you've missed this over the years. His connection with and passion for the city is common knowledge and if it is surpassed by anyone, it's PK.

Your snarkiness is totally unwarranted.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

I've posted the proof before so sorry, I won't pull up the reports again. You can look yourself. CBC talked about it when Radulov signed.

- Radulov didn't sign specifically because of that, but he had a better offer in Detroit and took Montreal's with less contract length.
- Bergevin insisted on one year because he said he wanted flexibility for the young players in the system
- Radulov played in Quebec and loved it. People speculated he loved Roy but he barely negotiated with Colorado.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Yeah, he got 7 years $42M from Edmonton. It's said that Montreal offered more.

Lucic, Benn, Alzner, man we'd be an easy team to beat.

We already are an easy team to beat. We’d just be an even more hopeless team with more ugly contracts.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Radulov played his junior level hockey with the Remparts and has said on many occasions how much he loves Quebec and always wanted to play in Montreal. This is why he turned down better offers to play there, and would have returned if Bergevin had shown him an iota of respect.

I'm not sure how you've missed this over the years. His connection with and passion for the city is common knowledge and if it is surpassed by anyone, it's PK.

Your snarkiness is totally unwarranted.
Yes, Radulov played two years as a teenager in Quebec City. And one year as a pro with the Canadiens in Montreal. And from this he has a tremendous connection with the city? So much so that he bolted after one year? Obviously his connection with and passion for the city of Montreal was surpassed by his passion for Dallas, Texas. Far fetched to say the least.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
I've posted the proof before so sorry, I won't pull up the reports again. You can look yourself. CBC talked about it when Radulov signed.

- Radulov didn't sign specifically because of that, but he had a better offer in Detroit and took Montreal's with less contract length.
- Bergevin insisted on one year because he said he wanted flexibility for the young players in the system
- Radulov played in Quebec and loved it. People speculated he loved Roy but he barely negotiated with Colorado.
I don’t hold it against MB for signing him to one year out of the KHL, despite the fact that in hindsight I wish he had signed him longer term. But make no mistake, Radulov is a mercenary and his supposed connection to the city of Montreal seems exaggerated. I’m not a fan of a lot that MB has done, but he deserves some credit for bringing Rads to Montreal whether you want to give it or not.

groovejuice

Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Yes, Radulov played two years as a teenager in Quebec City. And one year as a pro with the Canadiens in Montreal. And from this he has a tremendous connection with the city? So much so that he bolted after one year? Obviously his connection with and passion for the city of Montreal was surpassed by his passion for Dallas, Texas. Far fetched to say the least.

This is not a fiction I created. Radulov himself is the author of those sentiments.

Your sarcasm is misplaced. Perhaps you're bitter because you have no dogs providing you with loyalty.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Bergevin
Refused
To
Counter
Dallas'
Offer

I know you want to support everything this organization does but there's no way out of this. Bergevin went right in front of the press and said that the offers to Markov and Radulov were final. No more negotiation. Bergevin treated a career Hab and our best playoff performer from 16-17 like nobodies while immediately giving contracts to guys who never played a single game for us in Alzner and Shaw and Drouin.

Call him a mercenary all you want. He's only a mercenary because Bergevin BY HIS OWN ADMISSION refused to offer more than one year and BY HIS OWN ADMISSION refused to make a better offer.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
This is not a fiction I created. Radulov himself is the author of those sentiments.

Your sarcasm is misplaced. Perhaps you're bitter because you have no dogs providing you with loyalty.
Totally missing my point.

My point was that virtually nobody saw Radulov to Montreal happening. However you want to slice it, that was a deal made between Bergevin and Radulov. Therefore Bergevin could once again surprise. He very well may not, but the Radulov signing proves that he can. That was my point.

And people will have their opinions on the UFA debacle. In the end it takes two to make a deal, so it’s a failure on both sides. Putting 100% of the blame on Bergevin and 0% on Radulov may fit your narrative, but likely diverges from the truth of the matter.

And yes, I have had dogs for a long time. Not sure how that has anything to do with whether or not we could get a surprise in UFA.

Reactions: WinterLion

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Bergevin
Refused
To
Counter
Dallas'
Offer

I know you want to support everything this organization does but there's no way out of this. Bergevin went right in front of the press and said that the offers to Markov and Radulov were final. No more negotiation. Bergevin treated a career Hab and our best playoff performer from 16-17 like nobodies while immediately giving contracts to guys who never played a single game for us in Alzner and Shaw and Drouin.

Call him a mercenary all you want. He's only a mercenary because Bergevin BY HIS OWN ADMISSION refused to offer more than one year and BY HIS OWN ADMISSION refused to make a better offer.
Missing my point.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Totally missing my point.

My point was that virtually nobody saw Radulov to Montreal happening. However you want to slice it, that was a deal made between Bergevin and Radulov. Therefore Bergevin could once again surprise. He very well may not, but the Radulov signing proves that he can. That was my point.

And people will have their opinions on the UFA debacle. In the end it takes two to make a deal, so it’s a failure on both sides. Putting 100% of the blame on Bergevin and 0% on Radulov may fit your narrative, but likely diverges from the truth of the matter.

And yes, I have had dogs for a long time. Not sure how that has anything to do with whether or not we could get a surprise in UFA.
I think you are the one missing 98% of our consensus points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad