Will habs ever be successful if they keep Price/Weber?

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
I think you are the one missing 98% of our consensus points.
Maybe so, but I’m responding to a reply on my post which simply stated that despite the fact that Tavares will have several suitors, and Montreal may not appear to be at the top of the list, the signing of Radulov was a pleasant surprise. It’s not out of the realm of possibility. Why do you and others want to drag this into another discussion on the loss of Radulov and who’s to blame, when my comment was directed at the his signing, not his leaving?

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Maybe so, but I’m responding to a reply on my post which simply stated that despite the fact that Tavares will have several suitors, and Montreal may not appear to be at the top of the list, the signing of Radulov was a pleasant surprise. It’s not out of the realm of possibility. Why do you and others want to drag this into another discussion on the loss of Radulov and who’s to blame, when my comment was directed at the his signing, not his leaving?
Honestly i would of rather to never have signed Radulov at all than to fall in love with him and lose him like we did. Bergevin gets zero credit about anything Radulov in my book, he gave us candy just to take it away from us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Totally missing my point.

My point was that virtually nobody saw Radulov to Montreal happening. However you want to slice it, that was a deal made between Bergevin and Radulov. Therefore Bergevin could once again surprise. He very well may not, but the Radulov signing proves that he can. That was my point.

And people will have their opinions on the UFA debacle. In the end it takes two to make a deal, so it’s a failure on both sides. Putting 100% of the blame on Bergevin and 0% on Radulov may fit your narrative, but likely diverges from the truth of the matter.

And yes, I have had dogs for a long time. Not sure how that has anything to do with whether or not we could get a surprise in UFA.

Be careful Johnny... if you want to be welcome around here you can't say stuff like that haha... you need to blame Bergevin for everything or at least make some jokes about his pants.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Be careful Johnny... if you want to be welcome around here you can't say stuff like that haha... you need to blame Bergevin for everything or at least make some jokes about his pants.

He's the GM. He publicly admitted he refused to offer a multi year contract to Radulov when he signed him despite offering it to Lucic, and publicly admitted he made a final offer to Radulov and was unwilling to negotiate any more based on his own cap limitations after signing Alzner.

Yeah, he's to blame.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
He's the GM. He publicly admitted he refused to offer a multi year contract to Radulov when he signed him despite offering it to Lucic, and publicly admitted he made a final offer to Radulov and was unwilling to negotiate any more based on his own cap limitations after signing Alzner.

Yeah, he's to blame.

Yeah it definitely is looking like he messed up signing Alzner. Lucic would have been awful too!! I hope he can figure out that the game is about speed and skill now.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

My point was that virtually nobody saw Radulov to Montreal happening. However you want to slice it, that was a deal made between Bergevin and Radulov. Therefore Bergevin could once again surprise. He very well may not, but the Radulov signing proves that he can. That was my point.

And people will have their opinions on the UFA debacle. In the end it takes two to make a deal, so it’s a failure on both sides. Putting 100% of the blame on Bergevin and 0% on Radulov may fit your narrative, but likely diverges from the truth of the matter.

And yes, I have had dogs for a long time. Not sure how that has anything to do with whether or not we could get a surprise in UFA.

When Radulov wanted back into the NHL nobody was willing to give him what he wanted. He was forced to take what was given to him, much like when we traded for Vanek, it was a steal because NYI put themselves into a position of weakness and to Bergevin's credit he took advantage.

But with Tavares, that won't be the case virtually every team will be willing to give him what he wants so other factors like cup contention, family life, etc... will be the biggest factors.

I would put our odds around 5-10% of landing Tavares, mostly because of the Price/Weber connection through Team Canada and that might lead him to believe if we address our biggest need (#1 C) then we are contenders. I'm not sure I agree with that sentiment but I could see why people would believe it.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don’t hold it against MB for signing him to one year out of the KHL, despite the fact that in hindsight I wish he had signed him longer term. But make no mistake, Radulov is a mercenary and his supposed connection to the city of Montreal seems exaggerated. I’m not a fan of a lot that MB has done, but he deserves some credit for bringing Rads to Montreal whether you want to give it or not.

Lol why should we give him credit for failing to keep a valuable asset under team control? Radulov even did the work for him: he rejected a 2 year offer from Detroit, and accepted a 1 year offer from Bergevin when Bergy refused (Bergy's words) to do the smart thing, and sign Radulov for 2 years.

Bergevin gave Radulov a no-strings attached audition for the rest of the league, and then told him to ''take it or leave it'' afterwards. Sorry, but he's getting the credit he deserves on the Radulov dossier.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

It's interesting that the post you're referring to does little to support what you are claiming now. It's also amusing that you laud Bergevin for landing Radulov and blame Radulov for not re-signing.

There is no clever riposte to the invocation of Bergevin's witless dog comment. It was bush league and totally unprofessional along with "deal is off the table" and "first come, first served". And you have the temerity to suggest it's somehow a feather in Bergevin's cap.

The only player agents that are ignoring this are the ones representing the likes of Alzner.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Simple answer ; Team Canada has been very successful with both Price & Weber, they aren't dinosaurs, even though Weber can sometimes be compared to a T-Rex, IMHO:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Simple answer ; Team Canada has been very successful with both Price & Weber, they aren't dinosaurs, even though Weber can sometimes be compared to a T-Rex, IMHO:thumbu::thumbu::thumbu: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nice all we need now is Crosby Bergeron Marchand Doughty Pietrangelo and we should be fine

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I know you're joking but the team canada argument needs to be put down to rest. Some people actually use that argument seriously which is mind boggling. Team Canada is a team made of 20 super stars. You could replace any of those super stars (including Crosby) by a random player and you would still contend for the goal medal.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
It's interesting that the post you're referring to does little to support what you are claiming now. It's also amusing that you laud Bergevin for landing Radulov and blame Radulov for not re-signing.

There is no clever riposte to the invocation of Bergevin's witless dog comment. It was bush league and totally unprofessional along with "deal is off the table" and "first come, first served". And you have the temerity to suggest it's somehow a feather in Bergevin's cap.

The only player agents that are ignoring this are the ones representing the likes of Alzner.
Happy you were interested AND amused on this lovely day. You certainly do like to pour it on thick, don’t you? I never LAUDED MB, I merely stated the truth - that MB had a hand in the signing of Radulov. I don’t care how you slice it but this is a fact. Also I never BLAMED Radulov for anything - probably a good move for him to take the money and term offered him by Dallas. But perhaps through the lense with which you see things you felt I was lauding and blaming. I’m telling you unequivocally that I wasn’t. So that clears that up.

It seems to me (like most other Habs fans) that MB fumbled the Radulov situation badly. I wasn’t privy to all the inner dealings of course, but it certainly looks like MB tried to be heavy handed and ended up dropping the ball. So in summary, I do give MB some credit in landing Rads. I give him no feather in his cap for not being able to re-sign him.

You can accuse me of temerity some other time. (That’s a lame word by the way, just saying - I had to look that one up as I’ve never heard it or seen it used in a sentence before. Try ‘audacity’ or ‘nerve’ next time). In this particular thread though, I think the accusation is unwarranted.

Have a great evening!

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Lol why should we give him credit for failing to keep a valuable asset under team control? Radulov even did the work for him: he rejected a 2 year offer from Detroit, and accepted a 1 year offer from Bergevin when Bergy refused (Bergy's words) to do the smart thing, and sign Radulov for 2 years.

Bergevin gave Radulov a no-strings attached audition for the rest of the league, and then told him to ''take it or leave it'' afterwards. Sorry, but he's getting the credit he deserves on the Radulov dossier.
No apology necessary, but he does deserve credit for signing him in the first place. You don’t have to like it but if MB says no, Radulov never comes to Montreal. Hindsight shows he should have signed him longer, and he obviously failed when it comes to re-signing him.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Honestly i would of rather to never have signed Radulov at all than to fall in love with him and lose him like we did. Bergevin gets zero credit about anything Radulov in my book, he gave us candy just to take it away from us.
Yes, almost worse to have had him and lost him than to never have had him at all. He was a pleasure to watch, wish he was still here.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
No apology necessary, but he does deserve credit for signing him in the first place. You don’t have to like it but if MB says no, Radulov never comes to Montreal. Hindsight shows he should have signed him longer, and he obviously failed when it comes to re-signing him.

And in what way would things be different now? I'm just not sure what you're trying to give Bergevin credit for.

In order to win anything, you have to gamble something. Bergy was unwilling to gamble a single extra year, and unsurprisingly, won nothing. You have to give yourself the opportunity to reap the rewards when you're right.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
Under a new administration the sky is the limit but I have little faith with Bergevin and Molson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad