Will Datsyuk and Zetterberg ever have their numbers retired?

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
Hi guys

Have never posted on the wings boards, but wondered in your opinion, with the likes of Yzerman, Lidstrom, Howe, and many others having their numbers retired. Do you guys believe that when Datsyuk and Zetterberg do end up retiring will have had memorable enough careers to have their numbers retired?

Or were they just great players but not at the tier that Yzerman and Howe were at?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If you have a Captain, Hall of Famer and a Stanley Cup winner at same package, the number goes up.

So, possible for Zetterberg. At same time I hope Datsyuk will be an exception for this.

Adityase

Mar 27, 2002
Troy, MI
Visit site
Neither deserves it over Fedorov or Shanahan. Or Ozzie for that matter. At this point. Frankly, I wish they'd lift a banner for the Grind Line for McCarty, Draper, Maltby; a separate banner for Probert and Kocur; and a third for the Russian Five: Fedorov, Kozlov, Konstantinov, Larionov and Fetisov. then they wouldn't have to reitre any of those numbers... BUT they should retire 91, 14 and 30 (yes, Hasek and Vernon deserve it too... but seriously, this guy, can you really argue his commitment to the team? MOD).

But then we don't have rertire the other numbers.

If we do all that, then 13 and 40 can go up one day.

SortaExtremist

Jul 2, 2011
Michigan
Neither deserves it over Fedorov or Shanahan. Or Ozzie for that matter. At this point. Frankly, I wish they'd lift a banner for the Grind Line for McCarty, Draper, Maltby; a separate banner for Probert and Kocur; and a third for the Russian Five: Fedorov, Kozlov, Konstantinov, Larionov and Fetisov. then they wouldn't have to reitre any of those numbers... BUT they should retire 91, 14 and 30 (yes, Hasek and Vernon deserve it too... but seriously, this guy, can you really argue his commitment to the team? ).

But then we don't have rertire the other numbers.

If we do all that, then 13 and 40 can go up one day.

Zetterberg and Datsyuk have been the reason why detroit has even made the playoffs since all the guys you mentioned retired. Both have put in over 10 years with the Wings and are the sole reason why Detroit is even 8 seed. [Mod] if you think all those I have in bold should have their # retired ahead of Zetterberg and Datsyuk. There were and will always be ton of players that can easily replace McCarty, Draper, Maltby. No one will ever forget the Russian 5 or the Grind line but put aside the whatever emotional connection you feel for players from the 90s and get real.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Datsyuk, Z and Fedorov should all have their numbers retired. Get out of here with Shanahan, Ozzie, Maltby, Draper, McCarty, Probert, Kocur.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Have said it before but I think Z has a better chance at this than Pavel, especially if Datsyuk leaves Detroit after next year.

Fedorov and Kelly both remain in front of these guys, Kelly even has the important captaincy check mark that it seems only Z will have of the two current guys mentioned. Outside of Sawchuk not a single number has been retired of a non-captain. Fedorov certainly should break that but probably won't, maybe Datsyuk will be the exception here because his split with the organization will go better.

I like that it is harder to get your number retired by the Wings than it is to get into the hall of fame. How the Pistons retire numbers is a joke.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah, so? Sergei Fedorov is retired and he's been with Red Wings a long time, accomplished so much, his number should be retired before Datsyuk's anyway.

I agree that they should retire Fedorov's number. By the way he isn't officially retired from hockey was taking the year off because of injuries but hasn't ruled out playing again in Russia next year last I heard. Have long said Fedorov's number deserves to go up, if it doesn't it because of the breakup.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I think retiring of a number has as much to do with team loyalty as it has to do with STATS.

Here is an example:

Yzerman: Is one of the highest scoring red wings of all time.

But he is mostly retired because he was a captain for 20 years, and was on the red wings team for his entire carreer.

Retiring a number or jersey is more about that person's NAME being connected with the RED WINGS name for eternity.

Here is a reason why certain players should NOT be retired as Red Wings:

Shanahan:

has 1354 points total in 1524 GP.
But he played for the Devils for 4 seasons, the Blues for 4 seasons and the Whalers for 2 seasons
the red wings for 9 season, then the rangers for 2 seasons and finished his carreer with 1 year with the Devils.

Shanahan is a Hall of Famer. BUT he played more than 1 season for 5 different teams. His name is not connected only to the Red Wings. Thus he will not have his number retired here. (Even if he was Gretzky, his number wouldn't be retired here because he played for more seasons OUT of detroit than in it.

Alex Delvecchio has similar point totals as shanahan. But he was a carreer red wing.

Federov is a Debate so i wont touch him.

As for Datsyuk and Zetterberg. They are life long wings so far. If they ever leave for another team or leave for another country... They likely will not have their names retired. If each plays 5-6 more years for the Red wings.. and they amass 1000+ pts (thus making them likely entries to the HHOF) then they deserve to be retired. But most importantly, they need to be life long red wings, and when they retire, they finish playing hockey. Their names have to be connected to the Red Wings forever, and no other team, that is why teams retire numbers.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Not sure how important it is to the Wings just guessing that playing your entire career with them and being a top guy. With those standards in mind Z may have a shot.

RedWingsNow*

Datsyuk yes - Best player during Act 2 of a great era of Red Wings hockey
Zetterberg yes - not as good as Datsyuk, obviously, but captain and leader and great player in Act 2 of a great era of Red Wings hockey.

People who deny Datsyuk's deservingness simply don't understand what greatness means.

There are people who think he needs to sign another contract and play 2-3 years to pad his stats. Obviously, these people don't have appreciation for greatness.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Datsyuk yes - Best player during Act 2 of a great era of Red Wings hockey
Zetterberg yes - not as good as Datsyuk, obviously, but captain and leader and great player in Act 2 of a great era of Red Wings hockey.

People who deny Datsyuk's deservingness simply don't understand what greatness means.

There are people who think he needs to sign another contract and play 2-3 years to pad his stats. Obviously, these people don't have appreciation for greatness.

I think he is good enough, but won't be here long enough.

RedWingsNow*

I If they ever leave for another team or leave for another country... They likely will not have their names retired. If each plays 5-6 more years for the Red wings.. and they amass 1000+ pts (thus making them likely entries to the HHOF) then they deserve to be retired. But most importantly, they need to be life long red wings, and when they retire, they finish playing hockey. Their names have to be connected to the Red Wings forever, and no other team, that is why teams retire numbers.

This is the worst thinking I've seen yet.

Red Wings with Retired Numbers

Terry Sawchuk - Detroit, Boston, Toronto, LA, NYR
Alex Delvecchio - Detroit
Ted Lindsay - Detroit Chicago
Sid Abel - Detroit Chicago
Gordie Howe - Detroit, Houston, New England, Hartford
Yzerman - Detroit

So of the six Red Wings with retired numbers, ONLY TWO played their entire careers in Detroit.

And most of those players played in an era when it wasn't that uncommon to spend their entire career in one spot.

Here's the problem with a large portion of "fan thinking" on this issue.

They're comparing everyone to Yzerman/Lidstrom. They pretend that all those other guys played their entire career with Detroit -- when only one of them did.

They pretend that those guys who played in the 50s were more loyal to the franchise. Meanwhile, when Gordie got the chance, he not only left the Red Wings, he left the NHL for a new start up league.

A large portion of Red Wings "fan thinking" on this issue simply defies reason.

Dafgat

Dec 7, 2011
Rostov-on-Don
Datsyk belong this team. But guys, why are don't understand? He gave that team all that he have. And he's have a one simple wish to play his last year or two in face of his native people. He deserve to be the one among the others there. There is where he should be.

RedWingsNow*

Datsyuk, Z and Fedorov should all have their numbers retired. Get out of here with Shanahan, Ozzie, Maltby, Draper, McCarty, Probert, Kocur.

I'm on the fence with Shanahan

Played in 716 games, which is just a few less than Datsyuk had coming into this year.

Was the final major piece of the puzzle for a Red Wings team that hadn't been able to get over the hump.

Scored 309 goals even though his entire career in Detroit was in the dead puck era (7th all time).

Was a huge fan favorite. Some of his fights were legendary.

A Red Wings team without Shanahan doesn't get in that brawl vs Colorado.

Without that brawl vs Colorado, do the Red Wings one Stanley Cup? Let alone 4?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I'm on the fence with Shanahan

Played in 716 games, which is just a few less than Datsyuk had coming into this year.

Was the final major piece of the puzzle for a Red Wings team that hadn't been able to get over the hump.

Scored 309 goals even though his entire career in Detroit was in the dead puck era (7th all time).

Was a huge fan favorite. Some of his fights were legendary.

A Red Wings team without Shanahan doesn't get in that brawl vs Colorado.

Without that brawl vs Colorado, do the Red Wings one Stanley Cup? Let alone 4?

Well they already gave away his number, so clearly that ship has sailed and the Wings have decided on that one.

I know some guys in the past have had this happen, but I think it speaks volumes in the modern day when they do it. They know better now a days and I think they talk about it before actually re-issuing the jersey.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Retiring a number or jersey is more about that person's NAME being connected with the RED WINGS name for eternity.
In my opinion this counts for a lot. And is why I would vote, if I had one, to retire Datsyuk's number. It's not necessarily about "loyalty." But he's a Red Wing through and through and has been his whole career in the NHL. And an elite one at that.

Plus he's just a great person.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1