Speculation: Will Craig Adams start on opening night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Can't we just buy him out? Sure it won't save us much, but it's better than him being on the roster altogether, he'd be out of the locker-room where it's speculated he's been a problem, and we'd save a few pennies in cap-space. Better than nothing, wouldn't it?

I really don't even want to see the guy sitting in the press box.

I think the buyout window closed, but it would have been a $233,333 cap hit for 2 years for Craig ****ing Adams.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Pens would save ~400k this year and lose ~200k next year if they bought out Craig Adams.

Actually think that's worth it.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
The buyout period begins the later of June 15 or 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final ends. It concludes on June 30 at 5 p.m. ET. Teams with salary arbitration filings can additionally execute buyouts during a 48-hour period beginning on the third day following the team's last award/settlement. The following notes pertain only to the second buyout window following salary arbitration: a) the second buyout period does not apply in the event a team has only one club-elected salary arbitration case; b) buyouts during this second window are limited to three per team over the term of the CBA; and c) players bought out during this window had to be on the team's reserve list as of the most recent trade deadline and must have a cap hit of $2.75 million or more.

well, now I'm sad.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It sounds absolutely ridiculous to us, I'm sure... but I just don't know how much it has to do with money. I think the team is very much done with him but simply wants to give him some modicum of respect by allowing him to "compete" in camp. They'll eat the cap hit.

At least that's my solemn hope. If nobody can beat Craig Adams out for a spot on the roster... even as 13th forward... there is either still some real goofiness happening with the people making the decisions for this team and/or the team's forwards are just that wretched.

Come to think of it... maybe I'm not so confident.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
It sounds absolutely ridiculous to us, I'm sure... but I just don't know how much it has to do with money. I think the team is very much done with him but simply wants to give him some modicum of respect by allowing him to "compete" in camp. They'll eat the cap hit.

At least that's my solemn hope. If nobody can beat Craig Adams out for a spot on the roster... even as 13th forward... there is either still some real goofiness happening with the people making the decisions for this team and/or the team's forwards are just that wretched.

respecting people is a great way to go about business, but I think the team has treated Craig with plenty of respect over the years. The money they would have saved by buying him out would have nearly paid for the #7 D or the #13 F. It's not insignificant money.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

If anything they've treated Adams far too well over the years. Just look at the last contract Shero gave him or the players he's negatively impacted, ffs. They're a cap team and that should trump respect, the room should trump respect. If respect is that important then Scuderi, Dupuis and Fleury are all major concerns. JR sure as hell wasn't respecting Adams when he took a shot at him though.

I think they haven't been able to get rid of him without effecting their cap situation more than his salary would because of that amazingly respectful contract Shero gave him. Maybe they waive him, but he's probably going to be the 13F. They have players able to beat him out, if he's more than the 13th forward there's a problem with the people making decisions (let's blame Crosby). I'm trying to trust them

You'd think they would have respected their stars enough to give them enough top 6 wingers. :sarcasm:

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Kunitz-Crosby-Adams
Bennett-Malkin-Hornqvist
Dupuis-Sutter-Spaling
Comeau-Goc-Downie

Allows Sutter to be traded, Goc/Spaling taking his place

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
Pens would save ~400k this year and lose ~200k next year if they bought out Craig Adams.

Just waive him. There's the off chance that someone picks him up and if not, we should be able to eat his cap hit this year and then we'll never have to worry about him again.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Cap and vabm8 said:

Dudes... dudes... I completely agree with you. I'm just really, really hoping that that's the way the team is looking at things. Because the alternative is ugly.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009

I would actually be OK with the Pens adding an additional 200K against the cap, in addition to his current salary, if it meant he'd go away.

KeepitinPitt

Mar 31, 2004
Gibsonia, PA
I really, really hope so. That way we can blame him for holding the team back even though he's one of the least of this franchise's problems.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I really, really hope so. That way we can blame him for holding the team back even though he's one of the least of this franchise's problems.

:laugh: Haven't we corrected some of the problems? Even if it's just addition by subtraction. Regardless of how minor, Adams is still a problem. Why not play a better player if we can?

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
I like the conspiratorial stance:
-If he starts then he got to the boys upstairs DB style
-If not, he got to the boys upstairs and their families have been threatened
-He has a secret NTC (Nihilistic Threat Clause)

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
I just saw one of those "ice bucket challenge" videos to raise awareness for ALC...and it was Ole Craigy Adams. In it he says, "in honor of my late father-in-law, Governor Cellucci."

I'm pretty sure I've just discovered how Wiley Ole Craigy Adams stays in the lineup!

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
JR cut Adams ass 5 years ago. He didn't think he was an NHLer then and obviously not now either since he referenced him in the conference a few months back.

I think the issue some of the following:

The Pens don't want to buy anyone out.

No one wants to trade for him.

JR hasn't gotten around to dealing with Adams yet since he's been focused on Sutter/Spaling.

No way I see Adams in the lineup on opening night.

JR will have went full Pejorative Slur if Adams is playing on opening night.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Adams challenged Crosby, Kunitz and Guerin to take the challenge, too. Obviously he's hoping they drop the bucket and brain themselves, gunning for their roster spots already. :sarcasm:

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
To be honest calling Adams the worst player in the league is slightly unfair, Adams was a big part of the #1 PK in the league while Disco used him on nearly every penalty kill during his tenure.

That being said, I severely hope that I don't see him for the entire year. Even if we have similar injury problems as in the past id rather see Harry Z, Sill, Megna, or even PL3.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
To be honest calling Adams the worst player in the league is slightly unfair, Adams was a big part of the #1 PK in the league while Disco used him on nearly every penalty kill during his tenure.

That being said, I severely hope that I don't see him for the entire year. Even if we have similar injury problems as in the past id rather see Harry Z, Sill, Megna, or even PL3.

Harry Z plays for the Islanders organisation next season.

I hope we have seen the last of Adams in a Penguins jersey. Find a way to get rid of him, JR. Please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad