Confirmed with Link: Will Butcher and a 5th to BUF for future considerations

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
Congrats on Dougie! Could you give this Sabres fan a run down on Butcher? What role he should or shouldn’t play in?

left side?
Smart player who can pass and shoot well enough, but is a horrid skater and softer than butter. We want to be an up-tempo transition and forechcking team and Butcher just simply can't play that game. He can be an adequate PP QB but shouldn't be leaned on as the go-to PP guy. He needs to be heavily sheltered at ES on the 3rd pairing. Has played RD before but is a natural LD.

We have three NHL LD ahead of him and a few nice AHL prospects who will be getting looks over the next year or two. He was going to sit in the press box all year. I wish him the best but don't expect much.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Guys, this isn't that hard. He's an overpaid defender who isn't going to be in the lineup when we're fully healthy. They did him a solid and moved him to get a different or better opportunity. Giving up a 5th and retaining a million while we're still under the cap is meaningless. It's better to move a guy who doesn't fit rather than hold him hostage.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
hqdefault.jpg

GET THAT CAT OUTTA THE WAY

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
If he was gonna be a problem, using a 5th to get rid of him is fine. I guess that's better than a buyout, a 5th rounder is nothing.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Guys, this isn't that hard. He's an overpaid defender who isn't going to be in the lineup when we're fully healthy. They did him a solid and moved him to get a different or better opportunity. Giving up a 5th and retaining a million while we're still under the cap is meaningless. It's better to move a guy who doesn't fit rather than hold him hostage.

This is fair. May have just been a solid for Butcher. I can get behind that.

Reactions: Better Call Sal

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
People are overthinking this trade. Butcher is a 7th defenseman in this league. And a niche player at that. He isn’t an every day NHL defenseman who is gonna be out of the league in a year or two. Being paid 4 million it’s a great trade for the team and owners financially and he won’t now block a roster spot for a guy like Bahl

Reactions: Cheddabombs

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He was sensational as a rookie next to Ben Lovejoy in a sheltered 3rd pairing role. I think he could have some success in that role again. He just can’t skate and is very weak. But I think he can still make it in the NHL.

Ben made everyone much better just by basking in his glow.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I don’t get it? This is all very confusing.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Doing him a favor? Beats me unless we’re about to go full Joker from the original Batman movie and just spray money everywhere
Doing the Devils a favor of not paying him 4.1m dollars to be a depth defenseman. Buffalo doesn’t have a lot of defensemen or payroll.

pkbrux

Jul 19, 2006
NJ
I think this shows the few folks here who claimed he still had value and we could get something for him in a trade, that very clearly, he had no value and we had to pay to get rid of him.

It may be random, but he is easily my least favorite Devil to watch on the ice in the last 10 years.

Reactions: Darkauron

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad