Confirmed with Link: Will Butcher and a 5th to BUF for future considerations

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I would've kept Butcher around just for the sake if Ty Smith has a rough go at times, hits a sophomore slump or gets injured..

It's not NHL21 or whatever they're up to now. Butcher's a real player whose name was written into the lineup every night his first 3 years here. It is a huge challenge to go from that to being a part-time player, especially at Will's age. I wish him the best in Buffalo but unfortunately given what they're doing up there I don't really know how it can go well for him.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Congrats on Dougie! Could you give this Sabres fan a run down on Butcher? What role he should or shouldn’t play in?

left side?

I believe he has played both for us, but yes should be left side

To be honest, he just cannot skate. He has decent enough offensive instincts, but realistically should not be anything more than a 3rd pairing, 2nd PP guy

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Congrats on Dougie! Could you give this Sabres fan a run down on Butcher? What role he should or shouldn’t play in?

left side?
He was sensational as a rookie next to Ben Lovejoy in a sheltered 3rd pairing role. I think he could have some success in that role again. He just can’t skate and is very weak. But I think he can still make it in the NHL.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
giphy.gif

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

left side?

I like Butch a lot because he is a very smart player. His skating is by far his biggest weakness. We obviously hoped it would have improved as he gained more responsibility, but it just never did. He is a very solid PP QB in my opinion and I think with the right partner and PP time, he can rebound to his rookie form.

Reactions: Dirty Dog

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Well, we don't have to talk about his footspeed anymore and the "but he generates production" when people complain about his footspeed.

Can't believe we had to give up so much to get him out of here.... feels a little bad for everyone on NJ side, including Butcher.

Good luck in Buffalo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad