Speculation: Will Burmistrov return to the Jets??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Now that the Jets new 'identity' relies on speed, Burmi would fit right in again. As others have said, it would have to be on the 3rd line though.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Now that the Jets new 'identity' relies on speed, Burmi would fit right in again. As others have said, it would have to be on the 3rd line though.

I don't think that'd be a problem. His game seems more suited to a third line role anyway, imo.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
I don't think that'd be a problem. His game seems more suited to a third line role anyway, imo.

Issues with this:

• Would he accept a 3rd line role?
  • Would he want to be paid as a 3rd line centre, given what he's making playing for Ak Bars?

Unfortunately, I doubt it on both points.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
This thread is funny.
big_smile.png

He won't be coming back here.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
Issues with this:

• Would he accept a 3rd line role?
  • Would he want to be paid as a 3rd line centre, given what he's making playing for Ak Bars?

Unfortunately, I doubt it on both points.

What's he making for Ak Bars? I almost think his immaturity has been somewhat overblown by the Winnipeg sports media. I mean he DID accept a move to St. John's during the lockout instead of heading to Ak Bars where he would've made significantly more money. That's got to count for something, right?

And even if we don't get the best Burmistrov, I still think there exists the possibility that we move him for better pieces more suited for the Jets as a team. Even if it's stocking the cupboard with a couple more draft picks.

I don't think we've seen the best Burmi.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
What's he making for Ak Bars? I almost think his immaturity has been somewhat overblown by the Winnipeg sports media. I mean he DID accept a move to St. John's during the lockout instead of heading to Ak Bars where he would've made significantly more money. That's got to count for something, right?

While I agree with the bolded I have to point out that Burmistrov had no choice but to go to St. John's. He was NOT a locked out player like the rest, he was contracted and sent to the farm team. Much like a Slava Voynov, he was contracted by an NHL and unable to explore other options at that time. NHL-KHL agreement has been obeyed by both sides before and after that, including with with much higher name players than Burmistrov. KHL was not going to chance the agreement on Burmistrov.

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I think you do everything in your power to bring back Burmi this year and try to sell off Joki for assets at the deadline.Burmi is not in their long term plans but his trade value is nil playing in the KHL.Having him back in the NHL ASAP is the best management of this asset.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Burmistrov certainly has some skill. I would be curious to see him play under Maurice. Noel was such a disaster, it was hard to evaluate this team as a group or individually.

Noel was hardly a disaster, he was more of a teaching coach and a player coach it seems.
There are different coaching methods and some teams respond better to certain coaches.
Noel laid an excellent foundation here or you would not see the wins piling up. We saw flashes of what they could be, but there seemed to be a lack of urgency in the dressing room. Then it became a confidence thing, and it has been said for a long time that this core needs a shake up. That shake up was going to come in the form of a trade however Chevy was unable to pull the trigger on something that brought back a plus for the team.

While it is only speculation that the team would have responded the same way with a trade...they nevertheless were put on notice that their jobs are not secure and that they need to put their big boy Underoos on and start playing like men, not like coddled little boys.

I am surprised that Noel had any hair left by the time he left here.

Mo has come in as a task master and is now assigning jobs and responsibility to guys, making sure they know what is expected of them individually as a metric for performance. If they cannot do what is expected they will find themselves moved off the roster come trade dead line or draft day. Chevy is planning a spring cleaning, and Mo is here to take inventory.

White Out 403*

Pavelec is far from over raterd :laugh:

No one says Pavelec is mentally challenged :(

But he is by far the most over rated Jet by a segment of the fanbase. On topic, I would love to see Burmi under a new coach. It's obvious that Noel was the biggest issue the team faced, maybe even bigger than Pavelec. (although this sure is a small sample size but I want to believe we're turning a corner)

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Noel was hardly a disaster, he was more of a teaching coach and a player coach it seems.
There are different coaching methods and some teams respond better to certain coaches.
Noel laid an excellent foundation here or you would not see the wins piling up. We saw flashes of what they could be, but there seemed to be a lack of urgency in the dressing room. Then it became a confidence thing, and it has been said for a long time that this core needs a shake up. That shake up was going to come in the form of a trade however Chevy was unable to pull the trigger on something that brought back a plus for the team.

While it is only speculation that the team would have responded the same way with a trade...they nevertheless were put on notice that their jobs are not secure and that they need to put their big boy Underoos on and start playing like men, not like coddled little boys.

I am surprised that Noel had any hair left by the time he left here.

Mo has come in as a task master and is now assigning jobs and responsibility to guys, making sure they know what is expected of them individually as a metric for performance. If they cannot do what is expected they will find themselves moved off the roster come trade dead line or draft day. Chevy is planning a spring cleaning, and Mo is here to take inventory.

I agree with the bolded especially. We have the players that Chevy drafted and we have the players that Chevy inherited. We know how TNSE is drafting, it's heavily based on character and work ethic as much as skill. I think Chevy sees it as time to weed out those who don't fit that mold.

seasontixholder*

Don't forget that McCambridge had nothing but nice things to say about Burmi. So was it Noel? Who knows, but I think it was.

Basalt13

Sep 2, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
@ AlphaLackey I believe there is a team heading to Brooklyn that you can run with your logics.

As to Burmi, I think he will be back next season, likely in the #3 center roll, but depending on what we do in offseason could see him playing on #2 as well. Welcome back BURMI!

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Ilya Kovalchuk not being in the Jets top 6 / 9 is possibly the greatest thing I've ever read on HF Jets. :huh::laugh:

That said, Scheifele > Burmistrov. When can we expect an updated AIH article comparing Scheifele to Couturier and Burmistrov?

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I still think Burmistrov's options are very limited if he does indeed want to play in the NHL again.

This is a young player that was drafted 12 months prior to the Jets drafting Mark Scheifele. Chevy isn't going to just give away an 8th overall draft pick for nothing. So I see a few options here, both for the Jets and Burmistrov.

a. Burmistrov stays in the KHL, things stay status quo, Jets retain his rights. He likely is not traded.

b. Jets package Burmistrov in part of a bigger trade, perhaps/likely this offseason.

c. Jets can find a taker for Burmistrov and get what Chevy would deem fair value in return. (I have lots of doubt about this option at this point in time).

d. Burmistrov returns to the Jets and both sides let what has happened be water under the bridge. This may be the best option for both sides. This can work out ideally for both the player and team. If Burmistrov does well upon returning, maybe he fits in with the Jets over the long-term, maybe he doesn't. But if he plays well and can increase his value thus creating a viable trade market for him, he can pursue his career elsewhere, and the Jets can get what they deem fair value for a recent 8th overall draft selection.

The two most realistic scenarios for me are one of b. or d.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
I'm a big Burmistrov supporter, I think the kid has talent up the wazoo and plays solid defence. I don't think Noel gave him a fair shot and I think his attitude problems are overblown.

But... Is he really wearing #69 for Ak Bars this year?? Wow. Maybe he is a little off...

wpglax

Mar 8, 2012
Winnipeg, MB
As to Burmi, I think he will be back next season, likely in the #3 center roll, but depending on what we do in offseason could see him playing on #2 as well. Welcome back BURMI!

Pretty sure the contract he signed with Ak-Bars in the K was a 2-year deal, meaning soonest he'd be back is the 15/16 season

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
McCambridge had nice things to say about Burmistrov.

Noel had nice things to say about Burmistrov.

Burmistrov conversely in an interview complained about being sent to the A versus his wish to be allowed to play in the KHL during the lockout, and additionally in the same interview threw his former teammate Jokinen under the bus. He complained about his coach, Noel, by blaming him for his assignment to the A, yet he was actually criticizing team management because it wasn't Noel that assigned him to St. John's - that is Chevy's job.

He asked to be traded.

The Jets are the team that repeatedly publicly states that they only want character players that want to play here. Anyone that thinks they will welcome this guy back here I'd suggest is perhaps not thinking critically.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011

Burmistrov conversely in an interview complained about being sent to the A versus his wish to be allowed to play in the KHL during the lockout, and additionally in the same interview threw his former teammate Jokinen under the bus. He complained about his coach, Noel, by blaming him for his assignment to the A, yet he was actually criticizing team management because it wasn't Noel that assigned him to St. John's - that is Chevy's job.

He asked to be traded.

The Jets are the team that repeatedly publicly states that they only want character players that want to play here. Anyone that thinks they will welcome this guy back here I'd suggest is perhaps not thinking critically.

Do you also notice how much better some think Burmi was as more and more time passes, [mod tranlation=some] even see him as a top 6 now.:shakehead

Last edited by a moderator:

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

He asked to be traded.

I believe everything you wrote above to be true...except for the last line.
I have always held Burmi and his advisors accountable for his actions, but you have to take into account his age, immaturity and his other options, being a young Russian player. Countless young players have said and done dumb things early in their careers--I count our own EK among them, but also Seguin, P Kane, etc--and then proceeded to have success as they matured. ( As a father of 3, I know whereof I speak.)
I have no idea whether Burmi wants to come back to NA and suspect that this is just another thread bred of wishful thinking. But two things are clear to me:
First, if he wanted to, Burmi could easily be, at minimum, a great 2-way 3rd line centre on the Jets. (Who knows, maybe he'll bring Kovi along with him and he too will somehow make the team as third line grinder alongside that other scrub, Andrew Ladd:sarcasm:)
Second, while I agree that TNSE is all about character, one of the surest signs of character is being able to forgive and move on, especially if it's in everyone's best interests.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Hopefully.

Young assets that can be added for nothing more than $$ are key.

Like him, don't like him - he is an asset and it is better for the Jets if he returns.

Any other argument is aside from the point IMO.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg

He asked to be traded.

Yup because one bad relationship means I'LL NEVER DEAL WITH YOU AGAIN. That's how all smart business people operate.

Nice things to say to the press, yup that's the end all to be all in terms of player assessment. Clearly Noel and Burmi did not get along. If TNSE lets that type of small time thinking dominate them that they will burn players like that, they are not going to get very far ever.

I'd suggest that anyone who is as to take what is said to the press at complete face value and think TNSE can't adjust, be flexible or understand the business of hockey is not thinking critically.

Do you also notice how much better some think Burmi was as more and more time passes, [mod tranlation=some] even see him as a top 6 now.:shakehead

The OP said "depth to the top 6", which can be taken to mean depth past the top 6. Otherwise nobody even MENTIONED top 6. You are just strawmanning to go after a player you don't like. Keep at it though, it's great fun for the rest of us.

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
If we are talking in terms of value, these are the situations (in descending order) where we take advantage of Burmi. Of course these are hypothetical and assume that he'll agree to every step involved:

1. We bring him back to the Jets and work with him until he fits a spot in the lineup...making him a critical contributor to the Jets success alongside Scheifele, Trouba, Frolik, and the rest of our young players.

2. We bring him back to the Jets and let him play enough to give other NHL teams a taste of what he offers...thus upgrading his tradeability and getting a better return.

3. We package him in a trade with other players and have his overall value become a side note in what was a future with a load of potential.

4. He plays out the rest of his career in Russia and the Jets don't get anything for him.

Obviously my order of preference matches the order of the points, but I almost think the likelihood of them happening is reversed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00